Tmax 1-4, 6 minutes, 68F:

Oars-jpeg-1.jpg

clean-clawed-feet-jpeg.jpg

vertical-water-tank.jpg

Sondra-and-Lauren.jpg

dark-river.jpg

dashboard.jpg

Hydrant.jpg

on my monitor (Acer LCD el-cheapo) the highlights are blown, probably my monitor though. Otherwise I like the grain I see, pretty similar to Tri-X to my eyes.

Todd

I think it might be a bit grainier than Tri-X. It sure is cheaper. The oar/paddle shot was a stop or so over-exposed. Some of the highlights skirt on the edge of blown ...

Last edited:
bruce, i don't know about hc-110 for kentmere. i've not done kentmere in a year or two. i am using hc-110 now for trix and hp5. when kentmere 135 36 exp cost went over that of tri-x (ap 400) and hp5, i stopped using it. haempe here is messinf with kentmere 400. you might check with him ...

Bruce, I have been developing kentmere in hc110b, using a chart I found somewhere. It does not take long, I believe 5 min at 20C.

Randy

#5 has no detail in the sky in my monitor.

i've been bulk loading K400 for some time now. i just finished my 2nd box. i used it because it's cheaper. right now the price of kentmere bulk is the same price of 400TX bulk two years ago. the ones that i've developed were using D-76 and SPD (EI400, stock, 5@20C). haven't scanned anything though.

Thanks for sharing, Paul.
More grain than I expected at box speed in TMax.
The K400 seems a bit sensitive with overexposing.
Mixed Adox MQ today, curious how it proposes to.

Just goes to show the usual... that you need more than one or two rolls of a certain film to get it down. You always have to find your own agitation and time with a developer. I bet these would be nice as wet prints.

If it had said "Tri-X" on the can, I bet people would just cheer and say "good honest grain". :)

#5 has no detail in the sky in my monitor.

i've been bulk loading K400 for some time now. i just finished my 2nd box. i used it because it's cheaper. right now the price of kentmere bulk is the same price of 400TX bulk two years ago. the ones that i've developed were using D-76 and SPD (EI400, stock, 5@20C). haven't scanned anything though.

The sky looks milky - perhaps there was no detail to be captured?

Randy

guys, these are old shots. almost two years old. i don't remember much about them accept they were shot in high summer, which is just about guaranteed to give you a featureless sky in alabama ... :)

This thread has been inactive for quite a while, but rather than start a brand new one, I thought I'd revive this one since I just started a bulk roll of Kentmere Pan 400. This is my first time trying the film. Some people think it's the same as Ultrafine eXtreme 400, but I wanted to compare for myself. More samples to come!

Nikon FM2n, AI Nikkor 50mm f/1.8S, Kentmere Pan 400, developed in LegacyPro L110 at 1:31 for 5.5 minutes.

2021.02.06 Roll #268-05933-positive.jpg
by dourbalistar, on Flickr

Any view yet whether you think it is the same as Ultrafine eXtreme 400?

Too early for me to say, as I'm only one roll into 100-feet of Kentmere Pan 400. Never tried Kentmere before this, and it usually takes me about 4-5 rolls to get a feel for a new film and its results based on how I shoot and process. Here's another from that first roll. Maybe you can draw some of your own conclusions from the image samples. ;)

Nikon FM2n, AI Nikkor 50mm f/1.8S, Kentmere Pan 400, developed in LegacyPro L110 at 1:31 for 5.5 minutes.

2021.02.06 Roll #268-05943-positive.jpg
by dourbalistar, on Flickr

Back