latest additions to your library

sketchbook1.jpg

I'm planning on putting this in the Classifieds shortly if anyone is interested.

Iain McGilchrist. The Master and His Emissary. The updated/expanded edition. First published 2009. Recommended by a client of mine a year or two ago. Amazingly I think I remember who, the son of one of my university teachers.

McGilchrist is a psychiatrist neuroscientist. The premise for this dense and deep exploration of the structure and function of the brain, and beyond, is to address the question of why the brain consists of paired hemispheres. He moves beyond the familiar left brain right brain half truths which many of us are familiar with. It is a remarkable work it is clear, only started it late last night.

There’ll be resonances for photographers, but you’d need more than that to press on through the hundreds of pages of this book. I think it will be worth it nevertheless.

I've backed off buying photo books recently. Too many instant classics and too many repackaged great photos. But mainly, no more space to store and display photo books. But I still buy books, only now it's just novels to read on Kindle. Really into Haruki Murakami recently. Working my way up to 1Q84...slowly.

I've backed off buying photo books recently. Too many instant classics and too many repackaged great photos. But mainly, no more space to store and display photo books. But I still buy books, only now it's just novels to read on Kindle. Really into Haruki Murakami recently. Working my way up to 1Q84...slowly.
You are going to love 1Q84.

Stein, Harvey "Harlem Street Portraits." Schiffer; 1st edition (September 28, 2013). 192 pages. ISBN-10 ‏ : ‎ 0764344870
Sten.HarlemStreetPort.001 by J Allen, on Flickr

Ishimoto: Someday, Yasuhiro "Someday, Chicago." DePaul Art Museum; Illustrated edition (November 15, 2018). 152 pages
ISBN-10 ‏ : ‎ 098509608X
YIshimotoSomeDayChicago.001 by J Allen, on Flickr

Back