Leica Camera: Message to the customers of the LEICA M8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leica-Camera

Local time
4:57 AM
Dear Friends of Leica,

Customer feedback to us following the start of shipment of the LEICA M8 points to a performance under certain conditions that does not meet the expectations in the Leica brand. Our technical and engineering teams have isolated the source of these concerns und have identified definitive solutions. Over the next two weeks we will communicate a plan to further assure you of your investment in the LEICA M8.

We hope for your understanding and support. Please accept that I will not be able to answer all messages in the forum personally.

Kind regards

Leica Camera AG
Stefan Daniel

Its a pretty generic answer without any details. The devil is in the details and until they are known, I don't think we can judge whether Leica is going to do the right thing or it will be convenient for the user. Say for example, you have to use filters, or send the camera back or whatever that leaves you without the camera, that's a problem. If its just a firmware update, that's great.

Otherwise, until I hear and see the plan, I'll be happy to use my Leica glass with my MP.

Well, it is nice to know that they are broadening their scope of keeping their eyes and ears open to customer feedback. Unfortunately, resources put towards retooling and *gasp* a possible recall won't help the price any. In the meantime, still using my Leica glass on my RD-1 (which has its own bag of issues! ;) )

jaap said:
I'll wait for the M9 full frame with a silent shutter!
M8 was just as loud as MP to my untrained ears, so you might be in the wait for a while :)

Thank you Leica for informing our community of your commitment to us/your customers.

Thank you Mr. Daniel. I look forward to reconsidering getting an M8 perhaps by spring or summer '07 provided all the significant system issues have been resolved without the use of add-on filters or time-consuming extra software applications. I really want to be able to use my Leica M lenses on a digital Leica, so I am holding on to them and using my M6 and M4 cameras when I travel and the rest of the time I've got an $800 used Canon 20D that has given me no aggrevation.

There wont be a M9 if they don't RECALL and fix the problem with the M8. For all of their vaunted decades long reputation for excellence... how did something so serious slip through QC?

I'm dumbfounded and floored. I would have shelled out for possibly two bodies. 1) I love digital and the freedom it gives me during weddings. 2) Available light compliment to my D200

It says alot that someone like Ascough pans the M8. Exposure adjutment and ISO buried in menus and not handy. Also, someone like Marc Williams on another board "boxed" his M8 waiting a solution. He carries alot of wight with another entirely seperate forum of wedding photogs, and that bodes very bad for Leica.

$5000 gives me a 5d and the upcoming 50mm f/1.2 and generally makes Leica irrelevant. Alot of people waited and gave Leica a chance. They need to nip this in the bud, cause with a few clicks I can have a Canon 5d in a matter of moments on the way... and send my Leica gear to Ebay to finance it.

I copied this thread to the M8 forum where it is more relevant. My intention was to allow it to be seen by as many people as possible. It remains active in that forum, I will close it here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back