Leica Camera Repair

seajak

Well-known
Local time
2:44 AM
My much loved M6, which I bought new in in 1986, needs some TLC. I had trouble rewinding its last role of film and now find that I can't wind on or cock the shutter for speeds of 1/15 or below. The two repairers I've used in the past are no longer in business and I need to find somebody else. I know there is Leica in Melbourne but I believe they have a backlog and are expensive. I have found a shop in Brisbane called Camera Repair Camera Repair and Service in Brisbane | QLD best Camera Repairs and Service | Located in Petrie | Repair and Service all Digital Cameras and Lenses which claims to be able to repair Leicas and am wondering if anyone here has any experience with them. I live close to the Qld border so Brisbane would be very convenient. I also found Camera Fix in Sydney Leica Camera Repair | Camera, Lens Repairs & Service - Leica Store Sydney, has any had any experience with them? Using them would have the added benefit of being able to visit my camera mates in Sydney :). I would be very grateful for any advice as being with out my Leica feels like missing part of my body :cry:

Cheers,
Clay

Someone recommended Vintech to me in Melbourne. It was someone not given to idle remarks. Something along the lines of don’t dismiss them. Can’t remember who told me. I’m going to get them yo look at my IIIf which needs adjustment of the exposure gap for 1/500 and 1/1000s

Leica Australia's official go to camera repairer is camera clinic. Had my m lens repaired like new after user accident two years ago. Took about 1-1.5 months to fix due to Covid delays. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend camera clinic. Very professional and prompt in my calls / email enquiries.

Not sure if your M6 be still under warranty but if it isn't better just send to them directly. Just make sure to insure for postage and express post it.

All the best.

Camera Clinic in Collingwood, Melbourne, reopened in January as Imaging by Design:

I was able to drop off my Summaron M 28 for repair the day before (sic) they reopened. Always had good work done by them. The proprietor is a very principled character.

Camera Clinic in Collingwood, Melbourne, reopened in January as Imaging by Design:

I was able to drop off my Summaron M 28 for repair the day before (sic) they reopened. Always had good work done by them. The proprietor is a very principled character.
Camera Clinic did some work for me, some years ago, getting my Summilux 75mm/f1.4 working with my M240 - it was fine with film (presumably due to depth) but wouldn't focus 'just right' with digital. All sorted. Very professional. I was sad to see it when they announced their closure - and I'm quite happy to know that they've re-opened as part of "Imaging by Design" (which was a co-located but separate business, back when).

...Mike

Looks like I've managed to fix it myself. I was packing the camera up to send to Camera Fix, who I'd decided to use, as Imaging by Design was not picking up the phone and Camera Fix came highly recommenced by someone in the industry. On the off-chance I decided to try something different. I had been setting the speed first and then trying to wind on, so I thought I'd try winding on before I set the speed. I wound on at 1/30, set the speed to 1/15 and pressed the button. Hey presto the shutter fired with all the proper noises. That must have cleared the blockage because now I can wind on and fire the shutter at all speeds without any problems.. I'm a very happy camper.

Thanks again for your help.
Clay

Back