Leica M Monochrome M9M in 2020?

Something odd with M240 batteries. No third party affordable alternatives as for M9 (and they do work, if you are smart enough :) ). Cheapest I could find for M240 series is at BH for 205 USD.

After around 5 years of owning a Monochrom (and almost 1 year spend at solms for service)
I think i can recommend a M9M or Monochrom ccd as i prefer to call it.

I spent some time around here mid 2000 after i bought a M6, and decided then that the meaning of life where a 50mm Elmar-M and a 28mm elmarit/m v3. But some years after i did not work in a camerastore anymore and so on, D700 happened, and Fuji X series happened, but black and white photos did not looked like Leica. So i heisted my bank account, then I had a leica Monocrom :D

Shutter/ccd/had to buy new batteries issues aside, I can and will recommend it, if you get a already taken care of camera, meaning a used camera that works. Mine had a low serial number, so think that explain the shutter issue, and also the first owner got tired of his new toy and just put it in a drawer.

I think of my Monochrome as a camera with some sort of film in it that i have to learn, one low and one high iso, and everything over 3200 i don't care of :)

Used some years to find what for me where the right glass, new film meant new Properties (BW400CN and Delta400 in the 2000s) and my idea of black and white photography had changed.
New glass did not fit my idea, or perhaps my intuition of how it where supposed to look? But it all felt as it should when i got my hands on a 35mm pre asph summilux. So now I'm happy, and i get the photos i like.
Mine photos feels like mine, perhaps thats better and al lot shorter said?

Yes I recommend, but aware for strange urges for old leica glass :rolleyes:
before you know it you have a summitar or a summaron. . . .

Regards Vidar H, Norway

we need to talk about the finder

we need to talk about the finder

I forgot one important issue in the last post, the finder of the camera.
In my M6 days I focused a 35mm voigtlander 35mm Nocton 1.2 without any issues. years fast forward, Monochrom with 35mm Nocton 1.2 v2, nope.
Focus on wrong eye in most photos, but this was before the first trip to Solms.

Heard about Adox Scala back again, so I got an M6, sharp pictures again!
Tried a MP 240 w/50mm sonnar Zm, also sharp picictures.

After I tested and tried 1.25 and 1.4 finder loupe, the 1.4 have been permanently attached to my Monochrom for the last 3 years.
Sharp pictures, yay!

So say what you want about the 240, but the finder is better.
But I still prefer the handling of the M9M.

Milage might variate, but if you wear glasses, try before you buy, or borrow a finder loupe.

Back