Leica M240 reboot- Anyone had to do this?

chaospress

Established
Local time
12:07 AM
Just took my pre-owned M240 out for its first spin yesterday.

After a few hours, with battery charge level at about 60%, I stopped for about 10 minutes with the camera on but set on auto shut down at 2 minutes. I had been using live view, but it was shut off. When I went to wake up the camera there was no response. Tried a few times pressing the shutter release, also shut the camera off and on, but it was dead. So I took the battery out and put back in, and the camera came alive but had reset some or maybe all of my settings.

Just wonder if anyone else has had this happen or if it's common. I've got about 10 days to return the camera but am not expecting to. It's running an old firmware- 2.0.0.12, but is that the problem? I'm hesitant to update the firmware because I've read there are still bugs in the latest one.

This should not happen certainly but FW 2.0.1.5 and now 2.0.1.7 are much better than 2.0.0.12 anyway (2.0.1.5 beta tester speaking) so i would ask your seller if he or she minds your upgrading the firmware to check if the problem is recurrent. FW 2.0.1.5 and improvements list can be downloaded here if you are interested: http://tinyurl.com/pech8tl

I wouldn't rule out 'quirky' behaviour from any Leica digital M.

My camera is on FW 2.0.1.5 and I get lock-ups. Typical for me is while shooting, like mid sequence, suddenly the shutter 'half fires' as in, something happened but it didn't return to ready and nothing else functions. Mine might have a shutter problem, but I don't know for sure. There are other variations of lock-up too, such as how you described it. I think the closest I've come to a totally unresponsive camera (not even the shutter half firing) was while in Asia recently. I really don't know if temperature/humidity was the cause, but it was typically hot and humid - over 30C - and I was also using the EVF on and off. A few times, pressing buttons just wouldn't do anything.

I'd guess my shooting style is rather heavy compared to many others, in that I'll do a couple thousand images during the course of a day-long event. I'll usually get one or two lock-ups during this time. But I've also had similar situations to yours, in respect to the timing, where I'll have used the camera continuously for a while, have a break, resume shooting and within a frame or two, it locks up. I've had it lock-up within 5-10 frames at the start of the day. I can't figure out a pattern or what causes it. To be clear, lock-ups for me mean having to pull the battery. I think sometimes just cycling it off/on works, but lately I just immediately go to the battery.

You're right that the camera will reset some settings. From what I can determine, it resets to the parameters from when it was last turned off. Therefore, if you typically use a set configuration, you should set it and turn off the camera, then turn it on to use. For me the most annoying aspect of this is when the ISO setting the last time it was correctly turned off is not what I was using when it locked up. I have to remember to immediately set the correct ISO, and if time allows, cycle the camera off/on.

Of course I should send the camera to Leica, but I rely on it quite regularly and it's just such a pain to get serviced because it will take 6-8 weeks. I'll probably eventually do it near the end of the warranty period, but so far reliability of the camera doesn't seem to have deteriorated. Rather, it's a quirk I live with and try to work around. Oh, when this happens, you may lose images. Luckily for me so far none that really counted (for clients). If it locks up and the red write LED is flashing, try to wait it out as long as reasonably possible before popping the battery. It's possible the camera is still writing to the card, but extremely slowly (someone else recently posted about this), but no promises!

Oh, and try to avoid reviewing images while the camera is still writing to the card. It will lockout the shutter release in many cases until the buffer has fully cleared. At least my camera does.

There are a number of theories about why these lock-ups happen, including bad battery batches and camera sensitivity/incompatibility with some SD cards. You will read a lot of statements about which cards are best. IMO, there is no guarantee one type will work better than another.

I'd suggest you use the camera as much as possible in the return period to determine if it happens unacceptably often for your needs and likes.

My M-P has not locked up at all. I turn it on, use it, and turn it off when I put it away.

G

possible factors include the battery (Leica or no name?)
and the the type of card - some are better than others

possible factors include the battery (Leica or no name?)
and the the type of card - some are better than others

To those notions:

• So far to date, I have not found any third party batteries for the type 240/246 cameras.
  • It's not listed anywhere in the owner's manual, but it's been said on this forum and on several others that you should use 95Mbps cards as a minimum for the typ 240/246 cameras. I use Sandisk Extreme 32 and 64 G cards in the M-P, rated at those speeds or faster.

Also, I've been running 2.0.1.7 since I acquired the M-P typ 240 ... Leica installed as new. It's not perfect but most of the issues I've seen have to do with the funky GPS stuff misbehaving, nothing affecting actual operation of the camera.

G

Oh, and try to avoid reviewing images while the camera is still writing to the card. It will lockout the shutter release in many cases until the buffer has fully cleared. At least my camera does.

There are a number of theories about why these lock-ups happen, including bad battery batches and camera sensitivity/incompatibility with some SD cards. You will read a lot of statements about which cards are best. IMO, there is no guarantee one type will work better than another.

I have this same problem with mine... It's very annoying and I've missed shots because of it.

like mid sequence, suddenly the shutter 'half fires' as in, something happened but it didn't return to ready and nothing else functions

You don't have it set on Advanced exposure mode do you? I've just got the camera so I haven't read up on how or why to use that mode but I switched it on momentarily and something like you described happened- like a shutter release sound started and stopped abruptly.

I'll try another card and also wait for the firmware update until I register the camera.

The battery is the original brand new Leica battery btw..... This camera was a QM2 (unknown cosmetic blemish) so it actually is new and carries a 2 year warranty.

Thank you all, I always read these threads when my resolve not to buy is weakening :rolleyes:

My M8 soldiers on, less most of the viewfinder LEDs.Who would have thought, shooting sunny sixteen on a digital :rolleyes:

My personal experience was that when I first bought my M240 I'd have the occasional lockup, but not as bad as the OP describes. And also that 'waking up from sleep' was far too slow for my personal comfort (I lost some shots that p'd me off). Then I was advised over at LUF that I should use:

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

...and I can attest that I haven't had a single thing go wrong since and, probably more importantly to me, 'waking up from sleep' has been instantaneous ever since.

I was also advised to use 16GB cards, rather than larger, and I have. I'm not sure if this helped, or how much, but I've been using Sandisk ExtremePlus 80Mbps 16GB cards (genuine ones, bought from Adorama) from day 1 and have had no problems since using SD Formatter on them.

...Mike

Wasn't there a reported issue of sensor overheating with the occasional 240 ... causing the camera to shut down?

Took the camera out to do a few shots this evening and the same problem arose with some additional ones. Meter didn't respond to change in light or aperture setting, exposures were washed out, then the camera again locked up. Battery capacity showed 30%, then I was back in business this time after removing and replacing it 2 or 3 times.

I have written to the seller to see if it's OK with him if Leica recommends updating the firmware. If that is done and doesn't fix problems I'm inclined to return camera to seller instead of sending to Leica and waiting for several weeks for it to be repaired.

Back