Leica M9 Monochrom Battery Drain Problem

Rob-F

Likes Leicas
Local time
3:00 AM
I just picked up an M9M from eBay. It came with the documentation from Leica that the sensor has been replaced, and the camera overhauled and checked out. It came with three batteries, a thumbs-up, all original papers, manual, and packaging. It's in beautiful condition. And it does take nice pictures. There's just one problem: the battery drains very quickly. It will go from fully charged to dead in the space of taking two or three pictures. It does this with several different batteries, not just one. At times the camera will go dead almost immediately after inserting a battery; then if I remove and re-insert the battery, it will come alive again long enough to get another shot or two. Is this a known problem? Is there a work-around for it, or should I send it back, or send it to Leica NJ, or what?

One more thing: it seems to be under-exposing, compared to my regular M9. I wonder if that's a diagnostic clue.

Haven't had this or read of it here. The M9 batteries lose charge quickly from seemingly reasonable by the LCD information called up by pressing the info button. I have the M9-P and M9M and three OEM batteries with the spare usually in the M9 bag. Picking one up after days or weeks there's still charge to take a shot. I've gone all day in a foreign city without changing the M9M battery. Odd things have happened when the camera dies and removing the battery and reinserting it livens it up again. Would send yours somewhere, probably back to seller.

The charger can go bad. Rapid flashing. That happened to one of mine. Presumably a dud capacitor.

PS If you're using a SanDIsk 8G card, try a different brand....

Haven't had this or read of it here. The M9 batteries lose charge quickly from seemingly reasonable by the LCD information called up by pressing the info button. I have the M9-P and M9M and three OEM batteries with the spare usually in the M9 bag. Picking one up after days or weeks there's still charge to take a shot. I've gone all day in a foreign city without changing the M9M battery. Odd things have happened when the camera dies and removing the battery and reinserting it livens it up again. Would send yours somewhere, probably back to seller.

The charger can go bad. Rapid flashing. That happened to one of mine. Presumably a dud capacitor.

PS If you're using a SanDIsk 8G card, try a different brand....

I also have an M9. It has given me no trouble at all with battery issues; and no need to remove and reinsert the battery. I knew to try that when the Monochrom acted up, because I've read about it from other RFF members. I am using a Sandisk 8GB card. I will try using a different card. Can that really be it? The previous owner used the Sandisk 8GB, and claimed it was best. It's what I've been using in the M9 as well. OK I will try a different card.

Changing the card made all the difference. I put in a Sandisk 16G card. On one battery that started out fully charge, I got about 40-50 shots before getting a "low battery" message. On a second fully charged battery, I got about the same number of shots, and this time when I was done I still had 80% on the battery. So that was a good call, Richard G! Thank you.

Back