Leica MDa, complete guess work. I love it.

SimonSawSunlight

Simon Fabel
Local time
1:39 PM
So, with all my M2s at the doctor's for a while now, I've picked up my last back-up again, a nice Leica MDa, and slapped my 35mm f2.5 and a matching old Leitz finder on it.

It's been my everyday-carry for the last couple of weeks and I love it. Would I trade it permanently for an M2 or an M4? Of course not. Still, there is something I appreciate deeply about using a camera that is so very well-designed but reduced to the absolute bare minimum. I haven't really used a light meter with my rangefinder cameras in almost ten years, but being without a focusing mechanism as well leaves you with basically nothing but a mechanical shutter box and a crude (if large and bright) framing aid. So it really is all down to you and educated guesswork. Get that out of the way as quickly as possible (if you have a little bit of experience and courage) and you can focus on nothing but what's happening in front of you.

I think I was trying to make a more sophisticated point but I can't remember what it was now so here's pictures.

and yes you're going to say "well that's stopped down and fairly far away and woopwoopwoop" so here's more.

and some more at f2.5

I think a few of us here have MDas - your rig is somewhat snazzier than mine, and you are a considerably bolder and better photographer than I am - in fact I'm not even sure where the last set of negs from it are...

It's nice to see someone else enjoys using them!

Low-Budget Leica rig by gray1720, on Flickr

Adrian

I had XA for couple of years before it crapped out, RF in it was barely visible, so I used it's primitive focus scale. :)

and yes you're going to say "well that's stopped down and fairly far away and woopwoopwoop" so here's more.

and some more at f2.5

Based on DOF visible in the image it is 5.6-8, not 2.5.

Ah yes, I use an Md-A and 1f in such a way. With the bodycap Lomo Minitar 32mm 2.8 lens it becomes completely pocketable.

I use these cameras with 21mm, 25mm, 28mm, 32mm, 35mm and 40mm lenses (depending on which one is native screw mount etc)

I bought an MDa about a year ago and really love it. I need to get it CLA'd, but it's going to be one of my most loved cameras I'm sure. Going to take it to Alaska in the fall with either my 18mm Super Elmar ASPH or my 21mm Super Elmar ASPH. Can't wait!

Thanks for the inspiration Simon.

Try shooting without the viewfinder... then it's really complete guess work :)
I wanted to get a MDa a few years ago as I couldn't use a viewfinder anyway, but I just kept using my Bessa R, Fed 3, and other cameras without using the viewfinder.

Awesome Film Reminder Card

Awesome Film Reminder Card

Huss,
I love that "film reminder card",
What film does it indicate? :D
do you mind if I borrow the idea? :eek:

Ah yes, I use an Md-A and 1f in such a way. With the bodycap Lomo Minitar 32mm 2.8 lens it becomes completely pocketable.

I use these cameras with 21mm, 25mm, 28mm, 32mm, 35mm and 40mm lenses (depending on which one is native screw mount etc)

I had XA for couple of years before it crapped out, RF in it was barely visible, so I used it's primitive focus scale. :)

Based on DOF visible in the image it is 5.6-8, not 2.5.

must have been 4.5, maybe 5.6, if i remember correctly. all i said was it's possible and i love using the camera, not that i'm a wizard. ;)

Oh, I wish I'd thought of that, Huss!

I forgot to mention that I also have a bodycap pinhole for it... though I've never yet made the time to do it justice.

Adrian

Attachments

• IMG_5171.jpg
    IMG_5171.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 0
great images in this thread, l would love a If or Ig to match up with a cv 25mm

l would also need to save for a cv25mm, but alas would have to sell stuff on the evil bay to fund things and ebay has lost its shine for me after many many years and transactions:(

One of my favorite cameras is a Nikonos III, an all manual underwater film camera with a viewfinder but no rangefinder. It's my go-to camera on snowy and rainy days and of course in the water.

Back