Leica Q2 Monochrom

I love the monochrom idea - also in the fixed lens format, but I am old and still see digital cameras as disposables - therefore making it impossible for me to justify the expense.

However, I may have to revise that point of view in near future as I just realised that my current digital camera (GH1) is more than 10 years old, and my Macbook is 7 years old, both working fine and serving their purpose without having needed repairs or upgrades (except for free firmware and OS upgrades).

I love the monochrom idea - also in the fixed lens format, but I am old and still see digital cameras as disposables - therefore making it impossible for me to justify the expense.

However, I may have to revise that point of view in near future as I just realised that my current digital camera (GH1) is more than 10 years old, and my Macbook is 7 years old, both working fine and serving their purpose without having needed repairs or upgrades (except for free firmware and OS upgrades).

Surely that GH1 has paid for itself just purely based on the film you didn't have to buy over 10 years. If you can use the GH1 for 10 years, then the Monochrom can be used for a lot longer.

IMO, monochrome is the only feature which makes Q really different from just any other FF/EVF camera. Would be nice if Canisonic plethora of manufacturers will do their Monochromes and without boutique price. Something like 500 USD extra for Monochrome version. Canon would easily sell to me second RP as RPm. :)
Monochrome Pen F would be nice as well. Its BW is already good, monochrome will add sharpness.
Or Ricoh GR III M, man... Latest YouTube videos shows some BW popularity for street photography with this camera.
Where are some cameras like Pen F and GR III with already good BW, but monochrome sensors adds a lot more sharpness and clarity. This is the main addiction for me with Leica Monochromes.

My Olympus E-1, purchased in 2007 used for $250, was made in 2003. Seventeen years on, it still works perfectly, still makes beautiful photographs ... "Not quite disposable!" And, actually, raw conversion improvements in the meantime mean that it actually makes better photographs now than it did 17 years ago. :) :D

G

Almost perfect combo. If only the Q would employ an optical hybrid with the fixed 28mm like the x100, which i dont think would canibalise the M market....or maybe it would:p

Surely that GH1 has paid for itself just purely based on the film you didn't have to buy over 10 years. If you can use the GH1 for 10 years, then the Monochrom can be used for a lot longer.
If it wasn't because I actually do shoot film along with with the GH1, you'd have a good and convincing point :)
But you are right, current tech should likely be relevant for much longer than the earlier years of digital. I'll have to change my perspective - but as I said; I'm old.

I use 50mm and 75mm enough that the crop bothers me. I tend to print big when I print.

I know it would cannibalise M sales, but I just wish they would offer an M with an EVF. The M10M is otherwise pretty much perfect . . . Finally . . .

Marty

I use 50mm and 75mm enough that the crop bothers me. I tend to print big when I print.

I know it would cannibalise M sales, but I just wish they would offer an M with an EVF. The M10M is otherwise pretty much perfect . . . Finally . . .

Marty

Agree whole heartedly!

Marty

Or a 50mm Q.

I'm kind of hopping that Ricoh beat Leica to it with a four member GR-III family of 28 and 40mm lens options along with color or monochrome sensors.

For street I only ever shoot b/w and use 35mm 50% of the time, 50mm 30%, 28mm 20% so one compact camera does it all.

Back