Leica Q2 Monochrom

The shooting experience on the Q2 is so different than the M. I find that I tend to be much more thoughtful when shooting with the M.

The shooting experience on the Q2 is so different than the M. I find that I tend to be much more thoughtful when shooting with the M.

Jean-Marc,

How true.

In a ways the Q2 is more like my SL2 with APO 35 Cron. The APO Cron offers a faster and speedier AF than my huge "Monster" 50 Lux.

With the SL2 it is more like shoot now ask questions later. This can be a useful asset in street photography. Speed can be an asset.

I also think the smaller size of the Q2 over both the SL2 and any M is an asset for street.

In my case also since I own a SL, SL2 and highly likely a Q2 Monochrom it truely is wonderful that all three cameras utilize the same battery. Know that Leica OEM SL2 and Q2 batteries cost $300.00.

Sadly the shoot now ask questions later mentality seems to be the present culture with guns by both the police and the general public, and this is not a good thing.

Lots of shootings in NYC lately, in fact daily, and at times we outnumber Chicago.

Cal

Thanks for the photo John. Hope you and yours are well in Santiago. I still think about our walks on the LES with Pramodh. On the 28mm, I used to love shooting a 28mm on my Nikon F2 many lifetimes ago...I find it a little too wide these days. I have used the digital crop to 35mm on the Q2 on many occasions.

With the SL2 it is more like shoot now ask questions later.

Cal

Cal,

You hit the nail on the head. It's so easy to just point and shoot with the Q2 (and SL2). Have you moved to Beacon? and will you have a man-cave for your guitars, photo gear and bikes?

Cal,

You hit the nail on the head. It's so easy to just point and shoot with the Q2 (and SL2). Have you moved to Beacon? and will you have a man-cave for your guitars, photo gear and bikes?

Jean-Mark,

We expect to close on a 1912 "Baby Victorian" that is in Peekskill on the outskirts of town that is about 4 blocks from the 1500 acre Blue Mountain Preserve later this week.

Dickey Brook which drains all the lakes and ponds within the preserve feeds into the Hudson River runs behind my house. It is a corner lot so I only have one next door neighbor.

Somehow I have a house and a 2 car garage on one 40x100 building lot, and a second complete 40x100 building lot that I call my "second backyard" or my "back-backyard" where I could build a second house if I wanted.

The house is a 4 bed 2 full baths, but only 1500 square feet, so the rooms are small. The basement will be divided into a laundry room, Darkroom, and sound proof music room.

The 20x12 foot two car garage I have big plans for. It has a "Hip" roof that needs to be replaced, but I intend on replacing the roof with a pitched roof so that I can have half the space as an open space with vaulted ceilings and half storage loft.

I hope to extend the roof about 10-12 feet to build out what they call in England an "observatory" which is a room with windows that wraps around.

The house already has 200 amp service, and the garage is wired in with it's own circuit breaker panel. Looking at a Cloplay 16 foot garage door that is constructed of 5 layers that has a "R" value of 20.4.

Looking into Structural Insulated Panels (SIP's) to have an "R" value of 52 for the roof, and using SIP's for the walls with a "R" value of 26. Will eventually add HVAC via a Mitsubishi heat pump.

"Maggie" is crazed with furnishing the house with Eastlake furniture and wants the yard to resemble an English garden. "Don't tell Maggie," but somehow I would like to install water features: a Koi pond; and a long lap pool.

So it may take a bit of time to build out. We want to remodel the kitchen as a first priority, then the first floor bath. Maggie wants a deck off the kitchen, and a Pergola for shade.

I'm walking a tightrope because the garage will look like a carriage house, but Maggie does not want it to resemble a guest house.

What I love about this property is the privacy. I intend on growing mucho food. Let's see the "Calzone Factor" going into farming a 40x100 plot. Beyond the back-backyard is a steep drop-off that leads into a marsh of catails with Dickey Brook. My basement is dry, no sump pump, I'm 30 feet above sea level and only an hour's train ride on Metro North to Grand Central.

The train station is a 1.3 mile walk away, so I' also close to the majestic Hudson River.

If the second wave goes into another lockdown I might be laid off. In the first lockdown they gave me paid leave for several months. They froze my pension, and cut all the upper management salaries 25% to cover losses just recently. I can see this not happening again a second time. As I say, "The money has to come from somewhere."

But truth be told, if I had to retire earlier than expected financially it could work out where I won't get killed by taxes as badly. My problem is I have all this money the government wants to tax. If I got laid off perhaps my employer might be doing me a favor.

I was going to retire at 66 years 8 months, but since the pension got froze it made sense to retire at 65. Now if there is another lockdown I'm kinda prepared to retire even earlier. The numbers just get crunched differently where I would be able to pay less taxes by paying them when my income drops. In a way this could be an opportunity for me.

So the basement is about 750 square feet overall, plus I have a second basement under the front porch, and the garage will be about 620 square feet plus the 210 square feet in the storage loft.

Happy-Happy...

Cal

Cal, looks like you have things worked out for you and "Maggie" -- you'll be the NYC-refugee gentleman-farmer of peekskill! Best, Jean-Marc

Cal, looks like you have things worked out for you and "Maggie" -- you'll be the NYC-refugee gentleman-farmer of peekskill! Best, Jean-Marc

Jean-Marc,

Looking forward to retirement and having a darkroom.

Currently our target date for a closing this Friday looks like it might slip if things don't get resolved today.

BTW the Q2 Monochrom is a must have camera for me, but what would be better I think is a SL2 Monochrom. Anyways I likely would get a Q2 Monochrom anyway also.

Cal

Official... $5995 US

https://en.leica-camera.com/Photography/Leica-Q/Leica-Q2-Monochrom

It's certainly pretty...

Q2M-prease_all-details_1512x1008_teaser-2632x1756.jpg

Yes, it's nice. Very nice and good, Do I need it? No, I do not need it.
Would I like to have one? Yes, sure :)

I don't think this chunky lens is really necessary anymore for 28mm focal length and 100K+ ISO sensors. Makes it bulky and more expensive for no practical reason.

love to try it... Yum to Monochrom
enjoyed borrowing a Q1
just could not be fully engaged to a 28 , but that Lux is wonderful !

Back