Leica Q2 Monochrom

Yes, Cal...seems like a great one for you. :)

John,

Kinda funny how first Leica created the MM, and how this was a dream camera that tipped me into buying into digital. I use to be a hard core analog film only guy...

Then somehow I was involved with the design of the SL2. Pretty much Leica built me my camera that I helped spec. Had GAS for about 3 years waiting for the release.

Now the Q2 Monochrom...

So I'm still waiting for a SL2 Monochrom.

Of course I would still keep the Q2 Monochrom when I get a SL2 Monochrom. Seems that Leica is designing their marketing with me in mind.

Cal

I agree with Ko.Fe. I’d love to see Monochrom Q2 with 28 Summaron 5.6. That would be very compact.

For the next few days I am going to mount a 28mm Summaron LTM on the Monochrom and see if I can mimic the Q’s p&s convenience. I’ll shoot in Ricoh-esque Snap mode.

What a lovely camera !

I wonder if camera stores will accept a Zorki 4K as a trade-in for that nice new Leica?

For the next few days I am going to mount a 28mm Summaron LTM on the Monochrom and see if I can mimic the Q’s p&s convenience. I’ll shoot in Ricoh-esque Snap mode.

Sweet combo. I'd like an original LTM version. I keep the new Summaron M on my M9-P and it is a lovely arrangement.

I agree with Ko.Fe. I’d love to see Monochrom Q2 with 28 Summaron 5.6. That would be very compact.

replace Lux 1.7 with Elmarit 2.8 asph would be my preference as still compact at the same time produce good boken with focus at close distance.

This should be a useful test. I did a similar thing a few years ago when pondering the original Q... For a trip to Cuba, I took only a 28 Summicron on a M-D 262 to see if I could "live" with just 28mm. That worked out well, so I then happily gave in to GAS! :)

This should be a useful test. I did a similar thing a few years ago when pondering the original Q... For a trip to Cuba, I put a 28 Summicron on the M-D 262 to see if I could "live" with 28mm only. That worked out well, so I then happily gave in to GAS! :)

I only managed to take two shots last night before the camera started giving me the “no lens attached” error. I guess it was because the Leica LTM/M adapter left the code sensor on the body exposed. I’ll do it again with a CV 25mm M. I don’t usually just point and shoot this way but admittedly was a lot of fun to set the iso to 6400 and the lens stopped down to f8 and one meter and click. The lens is wide enough and the camera with enough resolution to compose and crop after. I can see with the Q having AF the experience will be better. I still don’t see myself paying $6000 or whatever it is for that Q2M yet but the original Q second hand might be in the future.

Almost talked myself into buying one but it really needed an upgraded LCD and EVF for me to to justify it (excuses.. excuses).

A fullframe hybrid system like the fuji xpro is what the next iteration of the new M needs imho. Itll satisfy both new and old camps in the AF divide. But to leicas hubris they think leica users will forever have 20/20 vision and reflexes like a cat to capture the 'moment'. Some say blasphemous i say, keepin in touch with the now and user base. I doubt many leica user use only leica M for every photographic opportunity, but if they do then hats off to you

But then again i dont expect much with the new iteration M. Lucky if they include any of the current tech. IBIS, BSI sensor, dual gain iso etc.

Incremental (slow) upgrades are the norm.

I m tempted by the Q2 mono. Why ? Mainly because of curiosity, 80% of my photography is anyway converted to B&W. The macro, close up possibility is something I sometimes miss using the M10 of course (but I could buy the Macro adapter). I'm now shooting much 50mm lens but last year I enjoyed the 28 summaron on the M10. In fact during a 4 weeks road trip I only used that lens even if I had a 50 in the bag, but I never used it!

Of cours almost 6000 EUR just to satisfy my curiosity is a little...too much. Better said, it is really too much !

Of course as long as my eyesight is good enough to focus an M will not do without it. But Q2 still temting LOL

I m tempted by the Q2 mono. Why ? Mainly because of curiosity, 80% of my photography is anyway converted to B&W. The macro, close up possibility is something I sometimes miss using the M10 of course (but I could buy the Macro adapter). I'm now shooting much 50mm lens but last year I enjoyed the 28 summaron on the M10. In fact during a 4 weeks road trip I only used that lens even if I had a 50 in the bag, but I never used it!

Of cours almost 6000 EUR just to satisfy my curiosity is a little...too much. Better said, it is really too much !

Of course as long as my eyesight is good enough to focus an M will not do without it. But Q2 still temting LOL

Robert,

If you are a true lazy-slacker like me you will eventually get spoiled by AF.

Some of the above threads about mounting my 28 Cron, stopping down to F5.6, and setting the focus at 7 feet or two meters for a kill zone of 5-10 feet.

I shot lots of film this way and also my MM is used this way for abot 90% of my shots.

Cal

Robert,

If you are a true lazy-slacker like me you will eventually get spoiled by AF.

Some of the above threads about mounting my 28 Cron, stopping down to F5.6, and setting the focus at 7 feet or two meters for a kill zone of 5-10 feet.

I shot lots of film this way and also my MM is used this way for abot 90% of my shots.

Cal

Yes, it's what I do with the 28/5.6 Summaron ! Excellent way to shoot withou thinking too much! Yes, after reading you so muych I'm becoming a lazy-slacker, how cool is this ? LOL :p

Yes, it's what I do with the 28/5.6 Summaron ! Excellent way to shoot withou thinking too much! Yes, after reading you so muych I'm becoming a lazy-slacker, how cool is this ? LOL :p

Robert,

Long live lazy-slackers. LOL.

Since I own a SL2, APO 35 Cron, and gigantic 50 Lux-SL I know about mucho megapixel.

But my old MM, warts and all is still a great camera. My 28 Cron is a version 1 that is not 6-bit coded.

BTW do you find that being a lazy-slacker annoys people?

Happy-happy.

Cal

Well I guess I'll eat my words (see my Nov. 30 post above)... I ended up buying one from Tamarkin a few weeks ago.

Q2-M, neighbor cat Porky will pose for treats (f/5.6, iso200, 1/320, cropped, AF)
Had it a couple weeks now, can't find anything to complain about. MF works great for zone & hyperfocal shooting too (once I figured out the DOF scale alignments).

L1010070.png

Back