Leica SL Price Drop

I think Leica knows what they are doing... They know the M is the bread and butter of there of there photography business... The SL they put out there to fill a hole in there lineup price it on the high side from the start knowing that maybe some M users might bite and they did until the M10 was ready to go... Now that the M10 is out and probably a higher than expected demand for it they probably got some of those folks to jump back to the M...
I would guess it might eventually go down even more...

They obviously need to sell more of them to support sales of the new lenses.

Folks without bodies don't buy lenses.

It's possible that they've sold enough of the SL that the development costs have been properly absorbed with an adequate profit, and that now their goal is to increase the potential audience and expand the user base by lowering the price of the body.

Pure conjecture, of course. But I've seen no indications that they have a follow-on model coming, and according to all the dealers I've spoken with the SL is selling well.

I can't really imagine what I'd want in an upgrade.

G

The way to sell more SL lenses is to make them smaller. They are caricatures of themselves.

Yes, as is the body. The EVF is stunning, but it is just too heavy, as with the lenses.

I am saving up for the M10 when it goes à la carte so I can order it with the 0.85x finder, but the lower-priced SL is tempting.

I can't really imagine what I'd want in an upgrade.

G

Godfrey,

For me, install the B&W CMOS sensor from the M-246 into the SL to make a "SLM."

The sensor already exists and is 24 MP; and the tooling already exists for manufacturing the SL.

I would have to start robbing 7-11's to get the cash to buy a SLM. LOL.

The regular SL needs no changes or improvements. Perhaps not a replacement for a "M," but a DSLR killer/replacer. For my needs shooting fashion the SL works mucho well.

Cal

New Low Price of Leica SL?

New Low Price of Leica SL?

I'm new to SL.

I thought it's a $10k toy.

I've just done a quick search at eBay.

https://ebay.to/2N8htHZ

And found the price of it is below $5k.

Is it the new low price? :rolleyes:

Isn't it linked to the fact the Nikon has just released the Z cameras?

I've never held a Leica SL, but I've never been quite sure I understand what niche it is meant to fill.

Leica blew it with the SL when they designed SL lenses the size of a bus.
Nikon is repeating that mistake with the Z 58mm.

The SL body is very nice,
but I much prefer the M10-P with the optional digital Visoflex when I need live view.

More likely it's price pressure from Canon and Nikon.

Now, if only there was some digital RF competition.

John

More likely it's price pressure from Canon and Nikon.

Now, if only there was some digital RF competition.

John

IMO whoever would buy a SL wouldn't bother with anything lesser. Otherwise he or she would have already gone for one of the Sony offerings...like the a9, if they'd after a truly "professional" camera.

Again, personally I never understood why Leica would like to put itself in direct competitions against the industry giants in the first place.

Leica blew it with the SL when they designed SL lenses the size of a bus.
Nikon is repeating that mistake with the Z 58mm.

The SL body is very nice,
but I much prefer the M10-P with the optional digital Visoflex when I need live view.

Yeah, why have anything faster than f/2 or 2.8? If the low light capability is there it should be enough.

I like my D850--but it seems sluggish compared to my D4--Nikon and others seem to make cameras with shortcomings to have something to offer in the next round.

I'd love to own a Monochrom - but it would strictly be a luxury I can't afford.

IMO whoever would buy a SL wouldn't bother with anything lesser. Otherwise he or she would have already gone for one of the Sony offerings...like the a9, if they'd after a truly "professional" camera.

Again, personally I never understood why Leica would like to put itself in direct competitions against the industry giants in the first place.

You might be right. But my reading of forums has Leica users way more receptive to Nikon than Sony. It's a real camera company, after all, with a bonafide heritage. Or so the perception goes. Come to think of it, I'm a Leica user and that's my own feeling. :)

John

"lesser" haha, brilliant stuff.
The imminent Nikon and Canon FF mirrorless models will be camping on the lawn of potential SL customers, and when compared on specs it's probably not going to be a fair fight.

Back