Leica speed dial question

fototaco

Local time
3:31 AM
I’ve only used one M so far, the M6 classic i own. The shutter speed dial was kinda stiff, the suddenly stopped working. Just got it back from a experienced 3. part repairman. He said he has fixed this issue several times, and change a part in that was broken and did a lubrication of the mechanism.

Now the shutterspeed dial is a lot looser, and the stops between values is less defined. Also there is a slight increased resistance in speed faster than 1/125, while speeds slower than 1/30 is very easy to turn the dial.

Anyone have experience with different M’s and how it is supposed to feel? Any way to make the dial more «clicky» and firm, because now it’s easier to accidentaly change speed by accident.

Thansk in advance. Ps i don’t have a store or friend to try a different body for comparison

Usually there is no difference between low and high shutter speeds. The clicks are well defined. As long as the camera works ok and you don’t want to send it to reputable Leica technician you probably can‘t do anything about it.

Usually there is no difference between low and high shutter speeds. The clicks are well defined.
This has also been my experience — in my case with a lightly used M6 TTL that I've owned for the past 23 years.

Does your repairman warranty his work?

I have owned 10 or so Leica M cameras, including six of the M6, and still have six fully mechanical Leicas of various models. None of my Leicas have ever had the problem you have described. Something about your question makes me think you are thinking of trying to improve it yourself. Please don't. A Leica is a delicate precision instrument. If the repairman couldn't do any better than that, you won't either! Enough with him! I'd say it's time to either send it to the best, Don Goldberg in Wisconsin, or at least to some recognized repair station. Youxin Ye in Boston is perfectly adequate as well. Please take that route, and your Leica will give you years of trouble free service.

Last edited:
My M6 seemed to develop a stiffness moving from 1/60s to 1/30s. A repairman in Melbourne with a good knowledge and reputation couldn't put it right. It's still in use twenty years later. The M2 is better, still perfect.

Thank you all for the replies.
The functionality is fine, but the feel isn’t that precise. @Richard G good to hear it’s still working. @Rob-F no I won’t try fix it myself, just wondering if a repairman can change it to his own taste (and by request make it more «tight» or «clicky».
@Guth haven’t asked him yet, just wanted to hear with you guys first!

One thing, this may seem paranoid - If I set the speed to 1/125 or 1/60 and fire the shutter the speed dial moves slightly in the clockwise direction/to slower speeds. Is this normal? The shutter is linked to shutterspeeds i guess?

One thing, this may seem paranoid - If I set the speed to 1/125 or 1/60 and fire the shutter the speed dial moves slightly in the clockwise direction/to slower speeds. Is this normal? The shutter is linked to shutterspeeds i guess?
Not normal at all. I’ve had an M6 and M6 TTL new from the 1990’s and the shutter speed dials exhibit no such weirdness. They are easy to turn, have positive detents, and don’t move when releasing the shutter.

@Pál_K
I uploaded two videos showing the movement of the dial when the shutter fires. Does’t seem right. Got in contact with the repairman, he’s kind and offered to go over the camera once more. I think it’s good idea.

I’ve only used one M so far, the M6 classic i own. The shutter speed dial was kinda stiff, the suddenly stopped working. Just got it back from a experienced 3. part repairman. He said he has fixed this issue several times, and change a part in that was broken and did a lubrication of the mechanism.

Now the shutterspeed dial is a lot looser, and the stops between values is less defined. Also there is a slight increased resistance in speed faster than 1/125, while speeds slower than 1/30 is very easy to turn the dial.

Anyone have experience with different M’s and how it is supposed to feel? Any way to make the dial more «clicky» and firm, because now it’s easier to accidentaly change speed by accident.

Thansk in advance. Ps i don’t have a store or friend to try a different body for comparison
there are a few things you can consider to improve the situation:

Consult the repairman: Since you just received your camera back from the repairman, it would be advisable to reach out to them and explain the changes you've noticed. They may be able to provide further guidance or adjustments to address your concerns.

User manual: Consult the user manual for your M6 classic to understand the recommended feel and resistance of the shutter speed dial. It may provide some insights on what to expect and any specific instructions for fine-tuning or adjusting the dial.

Practice and familiarity: Sometimes, changes in the feel of a dial or control can be a matter of getting accustomed to it. Spend some time shooting with the camera and see if you can adapt to the new feel of the dial. With practice, you might become more comfortable and less likely to accidentally change the speed.

Customization options: Some camera models offer customization options for the feel of dials or buttons. Check if your M6 classic has any such settings that allow you to adjust the clickiness or firmness of the shutter speed dial. Again, consult the user manual or reach out to the manufacturer for specific information.

there are a few things you can consider to improve the situation:

Consult the repairman: Since you just received your camera back from the repairman, it would be advisable to reach out to them and explain the changes you've noticed. They may be able to provide further guidance or adjustments to address your concerns.

User manual: Consult the user manual for your M6 classic to understand the recommended feel and resistance of the shutter speed dial. It may provide some insights on what to expect and any specific instructions for fine-tuning or adjusting the dial.

Practice and familiarity: Sometimes, changes in the feel of a dial or control can be a matter of getting accustomed to it. Spend some time shooting with the camera and see if you can adapt to the new feel of the dial. With practice, you might become more comfortable and less likely to accidentally change the speed.

Customization options: Some camera models offer customization options for the feel of dials or buttons. Check if your M6 classic has any such settings that allow you to adjust the clickiness or firmness of the shutter speed dial. Again, consult the user manual or reach out to the manufacturer for specific information.
Thanks for the detailed reply. The repairman agreed to look at it once more and found another broken part. Replaced it free of charge and it’s now working flawlessly

I owned few film Ms. Keeping only one (which have most of the issues, repairs), because its dial is not stiff. This is really comfy if you do street photography walk and shutter speed follows the light. And just pleasure over all. Clicking without wrestling.

Thanks for the detailed reply. The repairman agreed to look at it once more and found another broken part. Replaced it free of charge and it’s now working flawlessly
I'm glad that the problem was found and fixed, and by the same repair technician. Most of these folks do try to do a good job, and it's perfectly normal to mess up once in a while and miss something.

G

Back