Leica X-U?

pretty cool! apsc sensor in what i think of as an all weather camera. i'll get one on sale.
almost like a digital version of my Nikonos V

As an underwater photographer going down to 48ºF 100 feet of water, anything less of full housing, lensport and optical fiber flash sync system won't cut it.

That said...

Maybe, just maybe, Fuji HD-M equivalent can happen as part of X series, becoming the modern day Nikonos... ;)

Well as it's rated to 15metres (about 45 feet) I'd say it definitely won't cut it at a depth of 100 feet. :D

If that's rated like wristwatches are, then it's probably good for washing dishes or being rained upon. Static pressure at 15m is one thing; moving around increases the effective pressure even at shallow depths.

Dante

The problem with the flash is that underwater you will get a lot of "snow" reflection of floating particles right back into the lens

regarding the "tough" aspect I would not want to drop that on the lens - seems like it would be the weak point depending on how it's bonded to the body

nice to have APS-C size sensor

Would I buy it ? Never, not enough value for me - I've had a great time with my Oly TG-2 and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it (or the newer TG-4) for rough environments.

Not sure of the sensor size but a nice , APSC sensor would be nice .... Not much out there unless you want to bag or box your current camera ....

I have looked into a water housing for my MM and only came up with this
http://www.outex.com/

It will certainly be cheaper than a 5DMK 3 and a water housing

A photographer friend shoots this type of stuff here in Hawaii .. I can see a place for a nice water proof camera such as this new Leica if they take it serious and it's not made for poolside splashes ...

http://waynelevinimages.com/featured/

On LUF (German side) there was a report by a beta tester - owner of a dive shop. He took the camera down to 15 m - even in very cold water, barely above freezing and was quite enthusiatic,

Is this camera going to sell around 4 grands ? :rolleyes:
I don't know if the flash is a performer but it's location does not appeal me so much.

Back