Leicas - Which are fixable? M's R's Digital

Ask Alan Starkie about their ‘free to air frameline mask’ and if they can fit it to the M5.

I had the first such mask installed in an M2 a while back, quite nice!

cameraworks-uk.com

High-end camera producers like Leica could also decide to train and support camera repairers in countries like Vietnam and Thailand -both with an established camera and lens repair tradition, to pick-up the slack. Yeah, I know, I'll keep on dreaming.

A local camera technician overhauled my M4-2 viewfinder and my Leicaflex SL shutter within the past decade. DAG did CLAs on three 1960-1970 R lenses (as well as a couple of older M lenses too).

In general, EVERY mechanical camera I've purchased in the past 15 years, with one exception—the Leica R6.2, has required at least a shutter CLA. I've always managed to find someone to do the work and had it done well, to my satisfaction. Was it worth it? Likely not, but economy was never the reason why I chose a particular camera, and certainly not any Leica.

If that's why you're buying an old Leica, I suggest that you should perhaps think a little differently about that proposition.

G

...but economy was never the reason why I chose a particular camera, and certainly not any Leica.

If that's why you're buying an old Leica, I suggest that you should perhaps think a little differently about that proposition.

G

That is a very cogent point Godfrey. This hobby (profession for others) costs money and I try to never kick myself for overspending a bit on certain things (might have a little regret or buyers remorse) but knew that going in.

As long as I derive pleasure and enjoyment from my photographic and acqusition endeavors without sacrificing other areas of my well being, then I think it's money well spent.

We are only here for a short time.

All these legacy cameras are gambles. I have an R8 and R9. They cost a fraction of what they did new. Each for a few hundred dollars. If one fails, I’ve got the other. And if the second fails, I used it for a stretch and amortized over a decade each doesn’t amount to more than $75 a year. Look at all these spendthrifts dropping $1300 for a Contax compact.

The real problem is that they won't touch them because it might be something that's no longer available but = as I see it - they should confirm it even though it might cost me to get nowhere except wiser.

I don't want to scrap a camera just on a vague suspicion. But how many would pay for a strip down and testing that might get nowhere? Or rather no repaired camera...

Regards, David

After reading this thread I’m slightly paranoid about my newly acquired M5. The frame lines are fine however, and the meter works perfectly after a few teething issues. I’ll keep my fingers crossed that either of those need repairing.

Leica doesn't repair M9 series cover glass anymore. Do they really still replace entire sensor?
And I never seen anything about no LCD for M9 series.

With DAG/ Don's acquistion of Leica R parts
I am sure he will be servicing those needs

so 'R' connoisseurs and junkies should not fret ...

For digital m bodies i think those days when you can still repair decades old cameras are long gone...sad.Sensor replacement is only available until leica runs out on whatever left in stock.
Its all about 'upgrades and trade ins' like the iphone.

With DAG/ Don's acquistion of Leica R parts
I am sure he will be servicing those needs

so 'R' connoisseurs and junkies should not fret ...

Don has my Leica R-E for a minor issue. He’s repaired two CLs for me. Ask him about the R4. Maybe he might send you a picture 😉

There are now two companies in the States that say they can replace the cover glass on M9 sensors or convert them to B&W cameras. It's the cover glass that corrodes on the original (but not latest ) sensors. Becuase of the work involved, Leica simply replaced the entire sensor/coverglass assembly. Each of these independent compnaies mentions their coverglass are of a different thickness than the others and what effect this might have on focusing has to be determined. One person just recently sent in his M9 to one of the companies and will report back when his camera is returned. So apparently for those M9 cameras that still or develop sensor cover glass corrosion, there may be a solution although a costly one (approx $1000). Still less than Leica recently charged but Leica replaced leather covering and does other servicing during this replacement.

Dave (D&A)

How old is Don?

I think I saw a photo of him as a young man at the Yashica factory learning to repair rangefinders. 1960's? I also know he had training at Minox and has a plethora of spare parts.

I'll take a wild guess and say he's in his 70's. If kept cool and dry, the expiration date can be extended indefinitely!

Thank you for the information Stephen. Looks like Leica will have a new or nothing marketing plan from now on.

Back