Leitz Phone 2 Introduced: 47.2 MP, 1" Sensor

The upcharge for this rebranded Sharp Aquos R7 is only a couple of hundred dollars, which seems remarkably reasonable. I wonder if Leica simplified the menus?

The technical details are a little confusing. The lens is a 35mm equivalent Summicron at f1.9 (ok close enough to f/2), but this is a little interesting: they simulating lower apertures and lens signatures through software?

Unique Leica look

Pictures taken with a Leica possess unmistakable visual qualities. Our proprietary software engine now brings this typical “Leica look” to smartphone photography. It creates hun Leitz looks based on three iconic M lenses: The Summilux 28 for imposing shots taken in the centre of action; the Summilux 35 for everyday and street art photography; and the Noctilux 50, which is ideal for portraits with its extremely high aperture of 1.2, capturing shots with an unmistakable Leica bokeh.

Even closer to the Leica look: combine the lens simulations with our tones, which further enhance the typical Leica look and feel. Choose from Monochrome for high-contrast black and white, Cinema Classic for a classic, analogue 35mm cinema film look, and Cinema Contemporary to give your photos the modern digital look of contemporary films.

All you need to know to forget it :) :

"The Leitz Phone 2 is produced exclusively for the Japanese market in collaboration with Sharp Corporation and is available from SoftBank, Japan’s leading distributor of information and communications technology."

The technical details are a little confusing. The lens is a 35mm equivalent Summicron at f1.9 (ok close enough to f/2), but this is a little interesting: they simulating lower apertures and lens signatures through software?

Are you sure it is 35mm equivalent? Where did you see that?

EDIT: dpreview.com shows it is 35mm equiv. That is much more interesting. Still, not the phone for me, but a step in the right direction.

Are you sure it is 35mm equivalent? Where did you see that?

EDIT: dpreview.com shows it is 35mm equiv. That is much more interesting. Still, not the phone for me, but a step in the right direction.

Actually, I think I’m wrong and misread the spec sheet (8th row down) where it says:

CMOS image sensor with 47.2-megapixel effective pixel count Aperture: f/1.9
Focal length: 19 mm (35 mm format equivalent)

The lens is 19mm (35mm format equivalent). The software simulates 28, 35, and 50mm focal lengths. So it’s a 19mm fixed lens. My mistake.

Mmm.. I'm wondering what the target audience is. Does the younger generation have an affinity with the brand, or is it just old folk like me who need reading glasses and can't live without a viewfinder?

Back