lens hood question

davidswiss

Established
Local time
5:37 AM
Hello again all. I have a zeiss-opton 35mm f2.8 but am struggling to find the correct lens hood. If anyone can let me know what I should be looking for I'd be grateful.
Thanks in advance.

If you're talking about the ZM lens that would be the 1365-667, try here: https://www.adorama.com/ZILS3550.html?utm_source=rflaid21866

If it's the older Biogon, then you need the 1109 S27.

PF

ZM is Leica mount. Where is no Opton in this mount. Another hint is sub-forum name. It has the word "contax" in it.
Google search return for Opton 35 2.8 returns odd lens in Contax post war rangefinders body mount:
https://kamerastore.com/product/carl-zeiss-35mm-f2-8-biogon-zeiss-opton-t-2/

David,

The front lens element is set deep enough in the mount that a lens hood is not really required. I've used an Opton Biogon 35mm without a hood since 1967.

Bill

Last edited:
I can attest to not needing a hood on this lens. Besides, when you use one it’s nearly impossible to adjust aperture due to the scale being on the front of the lens where the hood obscures it.

Thanks for the info. chaps. Apologies for not replying sooner but my password wasn't being accepted. I wanted a hood because I normally use a filter which is in front of the lens. Are you suggesting I don't use a filter with this lens ?

Thanks for the info. chaps. Apologies for not replying sooner but my password wasn't being accepted. I wanted a hood because I normally use a filter which is in front of the lens. Are you suggesting I don't use a filter with this lens ?

It depends on your particular lens and when and were you use it. Some people are suggesting because the glass on this lens is a bit recessed in then a hood is simply un-necessary. But my experience tells me some lenses are very much flare prone regardless if the glass is further back. I have some Zeiss lenses that flare a lot and to use a lens hood on them is good practice, same with the several J-12 lenses I have, in Kiev/Contax mount or LTM, some are fine with no lens hood and others require one in bright and harsh sunlight and in which direction to the light you shoot at .

I use filters and hoods on all of my Zeiss Contax lenses except my 21 mm Biogon which only has a thin mount B&W UV filter.. It is a bit of a pain to see setting the f/stop on the 35 mm Biogon, but it can be done. You could get a vented hood for a 50 mm and saw off a few millimeters from the front if you want to be able to see the f/stops without vignetting in the corners.

I would like the correct 35mm hood, but still cannot find the correct one used when the lens was originally sold.

I just looked at my copy of the May 1, 1956 Zeiss catalog and don't find a shade listed for any of the wide angle lenses listed there. I suspect that either the 1119 S 40.5 or the 1115 A 42 would work and not vignette since they are fairly wide. With the A 42 you could set the f/stop and then push the hood on without disturbing the settings; with the S 40.5 it would be difficult to see the f/stops.

Back