Lens recommendations for Nikon S3

Mono-P

Local time
7:18 AM
I recently purchased a Nikon S3 year 2000 model with Nikkor-S 50mm f1.4 lens all in great condition.

I plan to get one or two wide angle lenses in the 25 to 35mm range. I'm looking for recommendations for good lenses and also which ones to avoid. They don't have to be Nikon brand.

What Erik said. The Nikkor 3.5cm f1.8 is spectacular and if you can find a clean one, highly recommended. The Nikkor 3.5cm f2.5 is no slouch either, not as beautiful as the f1.8, but easier to find and much less expensive.

Best,
-Tim

Agree with the above for 35mm lenses. They are an ideal pairing on the S3. Wider than 35 is harder because you’ll have to use an external finder and lens selection is limited. For 28mm, there’s the Nikkor 28/3.5, Voigtlander 28/3.5, Canon 28/3.5, Kiev Orion-15 28/6, and Contax Tessar 28/8. The last two may have tolerance issues mounting on the S3 2000, and the Canon is very rare. For 25, you have the Nikkor 25/4 and and Contax 25/4 which are both topogons, and the modern Voigtlander 25/4.

Some are better performers than others, but they’re all interesting lenses.

I just acquired the W-Nikkor-C 3.5cm f/2.5 and it's quite lovely. I think it's much sharper than my Jupiter-12 (1952, German glass--thanks Sonnar Brian for the intel!). Which is saying a lot because that particular J-12 is no slouch. That W-Nikkor 3.5cm f/1.8 is one of those "dream lenses" for me--I just can't stomach shelling out that much in one shot for my hobby--but I think it would be great to have, especially paired with your S3 Y2K (I'm jealous). On the opposite end of the spectrum of price, I must say that I've been happy with my Jupiter-12, but world events and luck of the draw might counsel against acquiring one of those right now. But truly, I agree with everyone's advice above. You can't go wrong with any of those recommendations. Good hunting!

20220329_082427.jpg PICT2054-2.JPGNikon S3 with W-Nikkor-C 3.5 f/2.5. Fomapan 100 developed in Rodinal. Foggy low-light morning on the Imperial River in Bonita Springs.

I have the Voigtlander 25mm f4 and the 35mm f 2.5 lens. Both are sold with the accompanying viewfinder. I am very happy with both lenses.

I've used the Voigtlander S mount 50/1.5 and 50/2.5 on a Nikon S2 and both very good performers. Modern but w/o that Asph, too clinical look. I particularly liked the compact nature of the slower lens.

any views on the 3.5cm f3.5?

I would get the 2.5 over the 3.5 any day. I second the comments that if looking for a classic lens for the S3, the 35mm f/2.5 W-Nikkor is a must. The 1.8 is too expensive and also displays lots of focus shift -- not the best "all around" 35mm for sure. Also, the 105mm f/2.5 Nikkor PC is cheap and fantastic and pairs very well with the S3 (although the S3's lack of parallax correction is a bummer). If going modern lenses, get the VC 35mm f/2.5. It is outstanding for the price.

I have a fair number of Nikon S mount 35mm lenses, to include:
35mm f1.8 2005 model, which is multi coated - Good but very expensive
35mm f3.5, early model - very nice and under rated and generally the cheapest
35mm f2.5 - solid lens
Voitlander Skopar 35mm f2.5 - solid lens (be aware These Cosina made lenses are prone to hazing)
Komura 35mm f2.8 - my favorite, best for black and white shooting not the best at color, extremely rare and hard to find

If you want pedantic reviews that going to ergonomic and small lens quirks, I have shot reviews on all above lens (except the Skopar) and included a selection of sample images shot on various film stock which are on YouTube if you are interested in that kind of thing.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm leaning towards either the Nikkor 35mm f2.5 or Voigtlander Skopar 35mm f2.5, although the mention of "prone to haze" has me a little concerned regarding the Skopar.

The 3.5cm F2.5 is my all-around favorite, and I have an original 3.5cm F1.8 and an early 3.5cm F3.5. Performance of the F2.5 lens is as good as the much more expensive F1.8, just a stop slower.
The 3.5cm F3.5 I have is very good, surprised me. I had another one some 15 years ago, was very soft. Picked up a MIOJ lens, is very good.

The Jupiter-12: for anyone considering one- typically needs a thicker Shim for use on a Nikon, AND might need the bezel around the mount polished down so it does not scratch the Face plate of the camera.

I will not add any recommendations to the wise options and advice already given, just want to say, have fun, its a great camera

I bought my S3 and added the 35mm f/2.5 for a great combination. If I recall, Ken Rockwell had a lens review that sold me on this beauty.

Has anyone used both the Nikkor 35mm f2.5 and Voigtlander Skopar 35mm f2.5 and can comment on how they compare?

Yes, I have. I kind of like to think that the VC lens is the spiritual success to the W-Nikkor, although the VC is more of a Biogon-type design and the W-Nikkor is symmetrical. The VC is overall better than the W-Nikkor mostly because of the former's modern coatings, which really improves color rendition and contrast. Both have little distortion and no noticeable focus shift. The VC does have some fairly incredible vignetting at f/2.5, worse than the W-Nikkor, but it goes away as the lens is stopped down.

Has anyone used both the Nikkor 35mm f2.5 and Voigtlander Skopar 35mm f2.5 and can comment on how they compare?

I have both and can say they are pretty comparable. The Color rendetion is a bit differet but hard to really quantify in an accurate non subjective way I think the Nikon colors a re preferable but I suspect many would not agree. Both have a decent bokeh quality, both flare some but not too much. I personally feel the Skopar has better ergonomics when equiped with the plastic focusing ring, It turns much smoother and the apature clicks on full and half stops.

I also first considered buying a Nikon 3.5cm f1.8. But many lenses had scratches on the lens or worse, fungus. Since I was convinced by the quality of the previously purchased Voigtländer 12mm f5.6, I decided to go with the Voigtländer lenses at 35mm and at 25mm. For the 21mm lens I treated myself to a Zeiss Biogon :)

The 3.5cm f3.5 is a perfectly good lens. It does lack some sharpness etc wide-open as do most vintage wide-angles. It give up one stop to the f2.5, but how often would you use it wide open? It's kind of like the difference between an Elmar and an Elmarit. I have found the f3.5 to be more than satisfactory at f5.6 to f11, which is where you probably will be most of the time. All in all, unless you need the speed of the f1.8 (1/2 stop over the f2.5), the f3.5 will work fine. The f2.5 is the most common, so that is probably where you will end up, but don't overlook a great deal on a f3.5. I got mine recently for $125 with caps and leather case.

Back