Leotax LTM Leotax

Leotax M39 screw mount bodies

colyn

ישו משיח
Local time
5:41 AM
I went to the camera show today and picked up a couple of cameras. This one is a Leotax with Simlar 50mm f/3.5 lens. The serial number indicates that it is a D IV but this one does not have the "T" speed nor is it marked "made in occupied Japan". serial number is 13315. Can anybody help identify the model?

My D-IV does not have "T". It does have "B", and slow speeds from 1sec to 1/20th. Mine has a very early 5cm F1.5 Simlar, probably the 10th that stops down to F16. SN is 91xx on the body.

3204519580_7e3abcd745_b.jpg

Last edited:
My D-IV does not have "T". It does have "B", and slow speeds from 1sec to 1/20th. Mine has a very early 5cm F1.5 Simlar, probably the 10th that stops down to F16. SN is 91xx on the body.

Looks just like mine..

You wouldn't have a ballpark figure of value in good cosmetic and working condition would you?
Thanks

The Simlar lenses are "uncommon" compared with Nikon, Canon, and others. I paid $500 for my camera, lens, and Canon Serenar 85/2. All required work, the camera went to Youxin Ye and I did the lenses.

I would guess the D-IV and F3.5 Simlar to be "realistically" in the $350~$500 range depending on condition. Some dealers try to get much more for them.

The D-IV is heavier than the Leica, much more brass. The 1.5x RF does not have a diopter adjustment, a design flaw in my opinion.

The Simlar lenses are "uncommon" compared with Nikon, Canon, and others. I paid $500 for my camera, lens, and Canon Serenar 85/2. All required work, the camera went to Youxin Ye and I did the lenses.

I would guess the D-IV and F3.5 Simlar to be "realistically" in the $350~$500 range depending on condition. Some dealers try to get much more for them.

I saw a few on eBay in the $900+ range. I expected a more realistic price in the range you mentioned..

The D-IV is heavier than the Leica, much more brass. The 1.5x RF does not have a diopter adjustment, a design flaw in my opinion.

I noticed it is heavier than my Leicas..

I'm going to run a roll of film through it tomorrow but all appears to be good except the barrel is loose. Needs the felt replaced. I posted another question on that though..

I'm not sure I'd really call the lack of a diopter adjustment a design flaw. The Leotax D's are fairly early post-war Leica clones and extra features were yet to come.

I own a near-mint Simlar 50/3.5. It's a "OK" lens for it's design-type: a four element collapsible. I think it's worth $200-300. The Simlar 50/1.5 is much harder to find at any reasonable price, and I'm sure quite a treat to own and use.

You are certainly correct in that the D is a very heavy little bottom loader, but to me it's a heaviness that implies solidity in the extreme. A good one is certainly a real piece to admire, and any one encountered should be serviced as needed to bring it up to its original luster.

By the way I've noticed that just about any bottom loading Leica clone, no matter how rare, with a lens gets no more than about $600 (max) on eBay auctions these days (and less more usual). The problem for buyers however is that uncommon ones (like Leotax) are not auctioned too often. There was recently an "Honor" (Zuiho Opt. Co. Ltd - with a lens I think) that finished for around that money, despite recent fixed price listings of $1600-$4000 !!

Patience pays off!

Here's two shots made with the Simlar 50/3.5:

ScanImage12.jpg

ScanImage10.jpg

Last edited:
These cameras are quite common here in Japan, and most used camera shops have at least a couple of them in stock )and some have dozens). Most sell for between $200 and $300.

Leotax are high-quality cameras, though I'm quite surprised to hear how much they are selling for overseas.

Leotax are high-quality cameras, though I'm quite surprised to hear how much they are selling for overseas.

They aren't common here but I see some on eBay that are overpriced in spite of..

Back