Other/Uncategorized Light Lens Lab Barnack replica film camera?

Other Screw mount bodies/lenses
The good thing about that is that it’s new and will provide many years of service. Maybe it can be customized with different finishes. More romantically inclined, I’d rather have a real Leica A that’s travelled through time to many places with different owners.

This isn't Weimar circa 1925 where the Barnack is the coolest thing in town.
Aside from its novelty to show off to your friends, it ain't much practical. IIRC, Leica did a run of its Ur-Leitz rangefinder-less camera years ago as a commemorative item. They pop up now and again for sale, probably having sat unused on someone's shelf for a very long time.

Aside from its novelty to show off to your friends, it ain't much practical. IIRC, Leica did a run of its Ur-Leitz rangefinder-less camera years ago as a commemorative item. They pop up now and again for sale, probably having sat unused on someone's shelf for a very long time.

This...

Barnacks are 'cool' because they're Barnacks. Their value is in the heritage and story tied up with the early days of Leica and 35mm photography. As users, they're ... 'annoying' is probably the polite word.

So...

Barnack = annoying with an interesting story

Barnack replica = just annoying

I guess the rarity in the genuine Leica replicas would be a well used one with the original box, ERC etc - especially the sample photo from Barnack's negatives. That would be both hot if for sale and cool anyway.

Regards, David

PS Two oxymorons in a short post; follow that! ;-)

This version of the Ur-Leica did not work at all if I remember well.

The "official" copy of the 0-series did work, however.

Working with a Leica Ia is easier than many people think.

gelatin silver print (elmar 50mm f3.5) leica la

Erik.

52293613220_22a0e01aff_b.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	52293613220_22a0e01aff_b.jpg Views:	0 Size:	161.3 KB ID:	4801924

While, I do not want the camera, I think it is a step in a good direction. We could see new rangefinders coming out of China eventually. I think that is cool.

Aside from its novelty to show off to your friends, it ain't much practical.

Barnacks are 'cool' because they're Barnacks. Their value is in the heritage and story tied up with the early days of Leica and 35mm photography. As users, they're ... 'annoying' is probably the polite word.

Speak for yourselves; Barnacks in their various forms have been my preferred type of camera for over a decade now while various SLRs and more modern rangefinders sit on a shelf and gather dust. There's a lot to be said for the design - small, smooth, compact, quiet... so while I don't need a Leica I clone, but it would be fantastic as a compact home for a super-wide lens if the price was right.

I did actually have a Leica If briefly before returning it to the dealer due to shutter issues, and walking around with that and the 28mm Color Skopar or 15mm Super Wide Heliar was a great experience. Does it get you any different results to using the 15mm on a Leica II, a Leotax T2L, or even an M4? Maybe, maybe not. But it's perfectly useable and does get you thinking and operating a little differently, and there's something to be said for that.

If this was a cheap body and LLL made a cheap 28mm lens + finder kit to go with it, I could see a surprising amount of people giving it a go. After all, the Bessa L did relatively alright, and that's basically the same as a Leica I, only with more bulk and less charm. However, knowing LLL, it's probably going to priced at a premium and hard to get hold of.

Something else I've only just considered: if this Leica clone has the same footprint as an original Leica, there's a good chance that the "Leicavit" shown here will be compatible with something like a Leica II.

That'd be an interesting one, as I don't think there were ever that many Abrahamsson rapidwinders made for Barnacks. Personally, I'd prefer it to be built to the later IIIc footprint (and be able to open/close a FILCA), but hey, it's always nice to have options.

Something else I've only just considered: if this Leica clone has the same footprint as an original Leica, there's a good chance that the "Leicavit" shown here will be compatible with something like a Leica II.

That'd be an interesting one, as I don't think there were ever that many Abrahamsson rapidwinders made for Barnacks. Personally, I'd prefer it to be built to the later IIIc footprint (and be able to open/close a FILCA), but hey, it's always nice to have options.

You'd probably have to change/modify the winding shaft in the camera, as those with serial numbers under 159,000 didn't have the 'notch' in them. At the time it was to accommodate the SCNOO winder, which of course was an earlier incarnation of the Leicavit.

As far as this possible LLL camera goes, I think it's pretty neat and I applaud their efforts. Good thing I don't need any more cameras :)

I wonder about the demand for such a camera. From their instagram, looks like they are still working on the 50/1.2 as well as a 50/2 rigid. More the better I suppose (for us). I have their 8 element which is very nice.

As far as this possible LLL camera goes, I think it's pretty neat and I applaud their efforts. Good thing I don't need any more cameras :)

I agree, and heaven knows I don't need any more cameras either, but I'll like to know the price tag for this thing when its released :)

Fantastically good news for film photography! This is by far the most ambitious camera manufacturing project of the film revival. If they can demonstrate that small scale contemporary manufacturing can produce a high quality focal plane shutter, film advance mechanism, and frame counter, that would ensure the future of “sophisticated” film cameras. Up until now, the new cottage industry camera companies have been limited to primitive mechanisms. If this pilot project succeeds, Light Lens Lab could make brand new rangefinders and SLRs in 35mm and medium format, with warranties and spare parts.

The oldest Barnack is a relatively simple device, so someone over in Shenzhen disassembled one, scanned the parts and laser printed them. What's the big deal? Another toy for the nouveau riche Party members.

I love the Barnacks, but only the pre-IIIc ones. I've never understood why the IIIc and the IIIf were made. The III or IIIa is a superfine camera when
mounted with a SBOOI or a SBLOO and, eventually, with a SCNOO. However, don't forget that a SCNOO or a Leicavit makes a camera a lot bigger and heavier. The real advantage of an LTM-Leica over an M-Leica is then gone.

gelatin silver print (summar 50mm f2) leica II

Erik.

51288580299_9d2b5e12cf_b.jpg

The oldest Barnack is a relatively simple device, so someone over in Shenzhen disassembled one, scanned the parts and laser printed them. What's the big deal?
Try assembling a Barnack camera, and you'll realize why it's a pretty big deal, and why they're boasting that they've got a working cloth focal plane shutter!

Back