Lightroom Stand Alone Dies

Too bad, but the writing has been on the wall for wa while.

I like LR. I don't like the subscription plan.

I figure I have a couple of years before I have to make a decision (I'm on 6 and I usually pdate every two versions) to either subscribe to CC or jump ship. Hopefully there will be some solid alternatives in 2019.

Right now, I fear that some of the programs that would like to grab some of the LR marketshare are not too well established and might fade away in a few years, forcing their users to migrate to other platforms. Still, happy to take names and hear suggestions of good catalog management and editing software that approximate LR usefulness.

At least I can write the expense off on my taxes. I hate having to add another bill to my month but really $10 a month for Photoshop and Lightroom isn't terrible.

Adobe Max news: We are very close to "game over" for traditional Lightroom. "There will be no Lightroom 7" - not without a subscription, anyway....

Thom has the scoop.

http://www.dslrbodies.com/accessori...rs/software-news/digital-photography-softwar/

This was stated by Adobe a long time ago. I remember reading it when I purchased my v6 license when it was released. What wasn't stated at the time is the lack of feature parity between v6 and the CC version.

Shawn

Right now, I fear that some of the programs that would like to grab some of the LR marketshare are not too well established and might fade away in a few years, forcing their users to migrate to other platforms. Still, happy to take names and hear suggestions of good catalog management and editing software that approximate LR usefulness.

Affinity Photo is pretty strong for a PS replacement and at $50 it is a steal. Makers of Affinity are working on a cataloging program but it isn't ready yet.

Capture One has many fans too.

Photo Mechanic is supposed to be a very strong catalog system that is built to integrate with other editing programs.

Shawn

There's Adobe Lightroom Classic CC, which is essentially non cloud based version with full features from 6, with a bunch added.

Affinity Photo is pretty strong for a PS replacement and at $50 it is a steal. Makers of Affinity are working on a cataloging program but it isn't ready yet.
Shawn

I'd even go as far as stating it's much more user-friendly and functional than PS.

I DON`T WANT A CATALOG PROGRAM 11

Say this 100 times.

I have PS/Bridge/Lr CC and tried to like LR many times and see no advantage. It all can be done in Bridge and ACR. All that is there is complications and trouble.

As far as I know, there's no software that can currently take LR sidecar info and apply the edits to the base image in a way that ccurately replicates the LR endering.

So, does the exit plan involve exporting high-resolution versions of all the virtual copies in my LR collection? Then in my Windows file folder system, as well as potentially the catalog of an alternative photo progarm, I would have several versions of the same image saved as un-related files: Original Scan, Original Scan + baked in LR edits, + various alternate versions (BW, cropped, etc). That could triple the amount of images in my storage overnight!

I've been using Lightroom 4 for years. No desire for a subscription version.

Should probably try and snag the standalone version 6 while I still can. I found the last non-subscription version of Photoshop 6 somewhere and will use that till it doesn't work anymore.

I have no desire to rent software, especially software where it already does anything I could possibly want it to do and more.

As far as Lightroom goes, I'd probably jump to Capture One as it handles my files a little better and I can buy the latest version outright.

That's a shame. I have been using Lightroom for a while now because I run it in conjunction with Corel Paintshop Pro and Nik plugins. The user is able to link the latter two programs to Lightroom and this allows me drop out of Lightroom anytime I feel the need to use one of the other editing programs to do something Lightroom can't handle (Lightroom is good at basic edits but cant do more complex stuff like layers and so on). I will continue to use my desktop version of Lightroom for as long as I can then go back to using Paintshop Pro directly with Nik Plugins under it although given Google has abandoned Nik I am not sure how long that will be eihter.

I'm still on LR5, and have no intention of paying every month. On the plus side, I don't need raw capabilities as I'm only importing scans anyway.

When it finally comes time to move, all I need is a good healing brush for dust and scratch removal and the basic contrast/exposure moves.

Eh. This has been coming a long while.

All of my 'finished' renderings are output as TIFFs anyway, with all changes and edits baked in. The other stuff ... is just raw material. If I have to move, I move.

But by and large, the subscription licensing works and is cheaper. So now, with several years of use having worked out most of the bugs, there really is no point to not doing it if you want to keep going with Lightroom.

G

Adobe's finances have prospered since the subscription model appeared. It was $34 in October 2012 and closed at $171 today.

Obviously, many customers prefer the subscription-license model.

Adobe has not been hurt. and will not be hurt, by the minority of customers who refuse to use the subscription-license model.

There is zero incentive for Adobe to change.

I'm a satisfied user of LR and PS and find simple and useful the subscription model. Software is always updated without problems.
It cost more or less like one or two rolls of 35mm film a month.
I'm always surprised how people who spend thousand of EUR or $ for cameras and bodies refuse to pay a few coins for the subscription model.
But to each his own...
robert

Time to start transition to C1 for me. Am keeping my LR catalog in Classic, it should still have many years ahead.

Adobe's finances have prospered since the subscription model appeared. It was $34 in October 2012 and closed at $171 today.

Adobe has not been hurt. and will not be hurt, by the minority of customers who refuse to use the subscription-license model.

Which is why Adobe cannot be bothered to make the subscription system available to those who want to pay for it, but by using bank payments or PayPal...

Many people outside the US don't use credit cards but bank debit cards. The customer support guy I spoke to wasn't remotely interested in supporting customers that could not meet Adobe's US-orientated payment standards.
Only credit card (which is what the CC in Adobe's naming convention stands for as far as I'm concerned, Adobe Lightroom Credit Card)

I'll keep running the classic stand alone version indefinitely. I regularly meet other photographers in my home town who still are on machines like a Mac G5 Pros or Windows XP and Photoshop CS and their results are great. Never change a winning workflow!

Not sure if anyones tried CC yet, but it's a piece of crap. Adobe just copied apple photos. The syncing of RAW files to the cloud is excruciatingly slow, and the controls are all dumbed down.

Just made the switch to C1 10; and do not regret it at all. More options inside the program without having to use external NIK editors, nice catalogue/sessions layout. Better RAW conversion (subjectively, but its notable across M8/M9/MM files) on top.
Not cheap initially, however (I find the CC suscription not all that bad).

I'm not sure why you say "obviously, many customers prefer the subscription-license model", they don't really have a choice with most of their products. Lightroom was the last holdout.

From Adobe's perspective it's a great model, steady, predictable revenue and cash flow. The market loves that.

From a users perspective there is nothing that I need that Photoshop and Lightroom didn't do several generations ago. Much like they could have stopped developing Microsoft Word around version 5, Photoshop CS 5 or 6 is plenty and I havent' run into anything that Lightroom 4 couldn't do that I required.

They basically have to invent new features to make people perceive value.

Back