Lomo Neptune lens system on Leica M240

Huss

Mentor
Local time
10:24 AM
Even though the Neptune system that I have is Nikon F mount based, I tested it today on my Leica M240 using a Fotodiox Nikon-Leica adapter.
Originally I had put it on my Nikon Z7, but the buttons all over the place on that camera, plus the fact that for some bizarre reason you cannot exit focus magnification by tapping the shutter button killed it for me. So I used the Leica as it is much more user friendly in such an application.
Ideally this system should be better on a film or DSLR Nikon as no adapters needed. So my next go round will be on film, but I wanted to see results NOW!

Finish is really nice on these pieces. The mothership docking body that the lens pieces attach to fits really nicely onto the camera. The lens pieces themselves do not fit as tightly. They have a little play - not enough to be disconcerting or effect the image - but enough to be a touch disappointing.

I must have missed this in Lomo's advertising blurb or videos, but this system relies on manual stop down metering, there is no auto aperture control. With an EVF not a problem as it automatically maintains the brightness so no issue focussing. When I use this on an SLR, I will have to focus wide open, then stop down to meter/set the correct exposure. So this is not a system to use if speed matters..

As all three lenses have different aperture settings, and they use the one docking body, you have to manually index each lens piece to the body so the apertures can be selected correctly. It takes longer to read that than do it. And actually is quicker than indexing a non-AI Nikon lens on something like a Nikkormat or Nikon F. But another step to be aware of.

One big Debbie downer is that there are no depth of field scales. So good luck scale/zone focussing these lumps! I guess it can be done, but still..
Anyway, attached are an assortment of snaps taken out and about today as I realized I had the Neptune kit for a little while now, but have not had a chance to see how it works.
Quick observations - I am surprised how sharp the lens pieces are, and how that is evenly spread across the image. I'm even more surprised by the lack of vignetting. Flare resistance seems not very good. Just like my Leica glass...
I only took one indoor pic with the 15mm lens, as the front is super bulbous and I was on my bike so didn't want to risk dinging it. More another time..

Peace out.

Originally I had put it on my Nikon Z7, but the buttons all over the place on that camera, plus the fact that for some bizarre reason you cannot exit focus magnification by tapping the shutter button killed it for me. ..

ok figured out how to assign the OK button to magnify or demagnify with one tap.

So today I tried these lenses on my Nikon FM2n. I only took a few shots (I had other cameras with me) as I found that the Neptune system is not very good on manual exposure cameras.
It seems the aperture settings do not correspond with the exposure I expect in a given setting. e.g. f11/125 on a regular lens seems to be f8/5.6 @125 on this lens.
It is either because the apertures indicated are not accurate, or the glass in the base unit that the lens units attach to absorb some of the light. So whereas with a regular lens I can eyeball the scene and set exposure before I bring the camera to eye, with the Neptune lenses I have to read the exposure through the VF and see what the camera's meter is telling me and adjust to suit.
With an AE camera, this would not be a big deal/slow me down as the meter is constantly adjusting the shutter speed.
So the Neptune lenses are back in their boxes, and once I finish the film in my FM2n, I will try them on one of my F3s.
It seems kinda ironic that such an old manual stop down design actually works better with a camera with AE mode. I can't say I am very thrilled with the Neptune system at the moment..

Back