Long, heavy adapted lens support for Sony A6000

X

xavyr

Recently I got an Asahi 200 f4 lens and a K&F M42 adapter for mounting on my A6000.

I love it, but of course steadying such a long, heavy assemblage is a challenge. Naturally, a tripod is in order, but of course one would want to avoid stressing the Sony lens mount with such a beast.

Been looking around on the 'Net, and not seeing much by way of a "universal" lens ring, and in any event, with the adapter in place, there is very little room for a ring strap.

Has anyone out there found any sort of "cradle" or other configuration system that might work to support the lens barrel? The traditional platform/rail systems seem a bit like overkill, especially given the limited & very occasional use the lens will be getting.

Thanks for any suggestions!
X

Thanks, Phil. Aha! Using an old macro bellows framework to support a long lens - something I'd not thought of. Pretty crafty! Lemme look around ...

Thanks, Shac. Guess I didn't look closely enough, never came across that one - fits the K&Fs bang on. yes, a tad pricey ...

Some of my lens adapters have a detachable foot for tripod mounting.

While not necessary, I also replaced stock metal/plastic lens mount with an all metal mount which works better with heavier lenses.

While not necessary, I also replaced stock metal/plastic lens mount with an all metal mount which works better with heavier lenses.

I bought one of those too (the stock mount is a shiny plated plastic one if I understand correctly). Unfortunately the Amadeo Nikon RF adapter won't fit it.... So I switched back to the stock plastic mount because shooting Nikon RFs was a big reason I bought the camera in the first place.

How 'wide' is the adapter?
I'm thinking in terms of putting a hose clamp around it, then adapting something to that.

There's a flat band (on the adapter) 60mm in circumference, & about 7mm wide.

The "knurled" band (knurled for mounting/dismounting the adapter) ahead of that is about 63mm in circumference and about 7.4mm wide.

Ahead of the focus ring, the lens barrel itself is 59mm in diameter, with a width of 19mm & change. The flattest, widest choice for a support ring, but is 2/3rds of the total distance forward (with the adapter and camera attached).

The combined lens/adapter length creates the problem. The adapter adds a lot of length to the whole. Assuming one could affix a "strap" type support band, the only places for positioning it are a bit too forward or back of the center of gravity when the lens/adapter are attached. So a single-point of strapping for the rig is no good. Or so it would seem.

Which I guess leaves me with the option of a separate lens barrel support post forward on a rail or platform with the camera attached with a tripod mount at the back.

Those exist - https://www.manfrotto.com/us-en/telephoto-lens-support-293/
but it's pricey thing if long lens stuff is only an occasional thing for you ...
but I might have to bite this particular bullet ...

I asked over on the TalkEmount site since you're using a Sony camera (I have them too).
This was a link provided by one of the members:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...1.TRS1&_nkw=telephoto+lens+support&_sacat=625

Lots of options, the cheapest are at the end (pg 5).

I don't know how 'crafty' you are so it's hard to make a recommendation.
If it were me, I'd try to rig up something using my bellows attachment pieces.
I wouldn't hesitate hanging the camera off the back of the lens without supporting it. It's not all that heavy and the lens mount can take it.

I bought one of those too (the stock mount is a shiny plated plastic one if I understand correctly). Unfortunately the Amadeo Nikon RF adapter won't fit it.... So I switched back to the stock plastic mount because shooting Nikon RFs was a big reason I bought the camera in the first place.

Two rings get replaced by one solid metal part: Stock lens mount consists of outermost metal ring, and a black composite piece behind it. And behind that is a circular spring which is reused. I applied a tiny bit of grease to the new parts and all works well, feels pretty much the same as my A7 which I upgraded with genuine Sony A7R/A7S part.

I asked over on the TalkEmount site since you're using a Sony camera (I have them too).
This was a link provided by one of the members:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...1.TRS1&_nkw=telephoto+lens+support&_sacat=625

Lots of options, the cheapest are at the end (pg 5).

I don't know how 'crafty' you are so it's hard to make a recommendation.
If it were me, I'd try to rig up something using my bellows attachment pieces.
I wouldn't hesitate hanging the camera off the back of the lens without supporting it. It's not all that heavy and the lens mount can take it.

Well, I'm fairly used to fabbing-up ad hoc gear, but thanks so much, Always, for the link to the *B** cheapies; as it happens, I had just stumbled over there myself, hoping for a used Manfrotto, and came across those beauties. Found a reasonable-looking thing for just under 50 bucks so mebbe I'll give that a whirl!

Great!
Let us know how it works out.
I have one Nikon lens that has a support on it that is removable that I would probably try to adapt to any lens I'd need to do this with. So far I haven't had the need though.
Good luck!

Back