Longest camera production?

This is the type of post from someone with too much time on their hands and a memory that is beginning to ‘clearly’ remember things that never were.

The Stereo Realist was first sold in 1947, and trickled to a close in the mid ‘70s as Olden Camera constructed new camera from existing parts. Most resembled the “Custom” but lacked the significant features.

This is the type of post from someone with too much time on their hands and a memory that is beginning to ‘clearly’ remember things that never were.

Not to be picayunish (but I am!), I think a lot of these cited examples had far too much variation really to be considered the same product. Today's Mustang or 911 shares the same marque as one from 1965, but little else (or the 737 for that matter). Not quite the same as the VW Typ 1 (Beetle) that was virtually untouched through 2003!
Maybe Leica comes close with how little has changed mechanically in the screw mount and film Ms.

Either way, I do find it impressive that they, Nikon, and Pentax have used essentially the same lens mount for so long with minor mechanical and electronic variations. Even EOS and Minolta alpha are getting up there in years, though one can only wonder for how long.

Nikon F from 1959 to still in production as F6. So that's, umm, 60 years-ish and counting..

This is why it is about 1 model, not a line.

Kiev 4a 1956-1980, not a bad run. Contax rangefinder (all variations): 1932-2005 (73 years, Contax i-G2, with Kievs filling in the middle years). There might be a gap between 1980 (Kiev 4a) and 1994 (G1).

Did we forget the Rolleiflex TLR? Basically the same --no, really, not like a Porsche 911's air-to-water-cooled conversion--from 1932-2015. Changes were mostly tweaks to the body, refinements to the film transport, faster lens, bayonet mount variations....

Back