Lovable Losers: Cameras we cherish despite their foibles, part 1

I had no idea that Exas were smaller than regular Exakta models, and that makes Exa very interesting to me, along with Rolleiflex 4x4.

Shown on the left is an Exakta 500, also known as Exa 500. It is in the Exa II family and is nicer in form and operation than the Exa I series. These have a shutter speed dial (the ring around the rewind knob) from 1/2 second to 1/500 second, an instant return mirror, a true shutter, a nice frame counter, a traditional wind lever, a shutter-uncocked flag in the viewfinder, and a shutter-lock lever inconspicuously located on the back which may lead some people to think the camera is jammed. It accepts all the Exakta mount lenses. It’s a wonderful camera to use. It is slightly larger than the Exa I series, but still smaller than the Exakta VX IIa next to it.

More Exakta and Exa details here:

https://www.wrotniak.net/photo/exakta/exa-serial.html

Click image for larger version  Name:	C1A5EFC6-3992-4582-ABB7-C0C43D1F6534.jpg Views:	0 Size:	231.0 KB ID:	4810400

Nice read, looking forward to part 2

My parents used to have a Kodak 35. One of its weak points not mentioned is that the folding viewfinder would easily break off.

I've owned 2 Kodak 35s and still have one and I never had any viewfinder break-off problems. I guess it could happen if you're not careful, but IMHO the folding viewfinder is one of the camera's cooler features. Part 2 will be posted shortly--I hope you enjoy it.

Thanks Jason. Enjoyed the article and learning about some of the cameras I see daily on the Goodwill site. I need to practice my self discipline after reading your articles as they always tend to get the GAS in me going.

re; Exa, "(steer clear of the 50mm f/2.8 Meyer Dominar, oner of that company’s few dogs) "

I think you mean Domiplan, right? It is a triplet, and at smaller apertures it is actually ok.

Old Truck, front by Mark Wyatt, on Flickr

Opened up it is not as good.

Bare Tree by Mark Wyatt, on Flickr

I got one (along with a 58mm f2 Biotar) with my Exakta VX.

I've owned 2 Kodak 35s and still have one and I never had any viewfinder break-off problems. I guess it could happen if you're not careful, but IMHO the folding viewfinder is one of the camera's cooler features. Part 2 will be posted shortly--I hope you enjoy it.

Indeed, when it's folded open it's easy to get snagged behind clothing etc.. It was the part near the back that broke off, not the chrome front part.

Oh, and I'm looking forward to pt. 2

For whatever reason, the Samoca Super Rangefinder didn't charm me as much as I thought it might, and I ended up selling mine - maybe a case of "more" not being better?

62-64 Exa I: I've tended to think of this sort of plump and streamlined style as being a late 1950s fashion trend which is currently out of favor. Typical lack of strap lugs on the camera bodies doesn't help either! But with recent trends towards other types of straps which can be fitted to the tripod socket, maybe it's time to reconsider.

…Typical lack of strap lugs on the camera bodies doesn't help either! But with recent trends towards other types of straps which can be fitted to the tripod socket, maybe it's time to reconsider.

What I’ve noticed from the 50’s, 60’s era are camera cases where the bottom half of the case had strap lugs since the camera itself did not. For people who wanted to carry just the camera and not have the case attached, that could be awkward, but perhaps back in the days of expensive film (compared to the 70’s onward) they didn’t have to remove the case as often to change film.

That Kodak 35 RF camera looks kind of cool.

To me it always looks like the rangefinder was an afterthought of the Kodak engineers in a "Quick! We need something to compete with the Argus C3" sort of way.
The 35RF does share some of its aesthetics with the Kodak Ektra and Medalist cameras of the period, though.

To me it always looks like the rangefinder was an afterthought of the Kodak engineers in a "Quick! We need something to compete with the Argus C3" sort of way.

I believe that's exactly what happened.

4549175133_6c8c53b214_c.jpg

Jason —- being a devoted fan of the Perfex, I’d love it if you could explore the incredible story of the Perfex Cee-ay, a camera which had, literally, Nine lives. I’m certain readers will be amazed at its final incarnations!

Back