LUMIX LX100 (Is it a superb camera?)

raid

Dad Photographer
Local time
7:10 PM
Tell us if this camera is worth the $600-$800 or not, Does it replace the Digilux 2?

I have one. It is amazing in every respect except it is just too small for me. I am 6'1" if that matters.

Is the Summicron an excellent lens on your camera? I have the (old) Vario Summicron on the LC1

I've been looking at this camera as well. I cannot decide if it'll be good enough IQ wise or not (compared to my other cameras; Nikon Df, Sony A7II, Ricoh GR). I know it's not on par, but by how much...

It seems a nice camera, but i haven´t been able to see a respectable review from a well known "reviewer", why is that?

I´d love to see something on this cam form mingthein, huff, rockwell or hands-on-review from hk!

:D

Took it to Israel. made an 11x14 inch photo book and folks think the results are incredible. Of course I did not allow anyone the use of a magnifying glass.
Anyway I think the IQ is there. Using the ring (around the lens) for zooming is a joke as it is unstable and sometimes moves on its on. But the zoom toggle on the shutter button is firm and accurate. My only real niggle. The aperture ring works very well.

I've been looking at this camera as well. I cannot decide if it'll be good enough IQ wise or not (compared to my other cameras; Nikon Df, Sony A7II, Ricoh GR). I know it's not on par, but by how much...

The images are not going to have the iq of those other cameras...but I really like the looks of the shots from the lx100. The control layout is just the way I like it. It is just a fun camera to use. 8x10 to 11x14 should be just fine w/ this camera. Up to 13x19 is pushing it a bit and ymmv really depends on your viewing distance. I remember pushing 13x19 w/ 10mp cameras. I really is about viewing distance.

It is bigger than the lx7, but not so big that u can't stow it in cargo pants or jacket pocket.

The only thing I wish it had was a tilt LCD. Right now I am using it more than my GR or Fuji XT1.

Gary

Especially if you like film more than digital, it certainly is a superb camera. It's a film camera with a sensor. Make some basic settings you like and than forget about the lcd. As for iq, the Leica lens is perfect. Sold all digital gear, bought an LX100 and a nice Hasselblad set. I'm happy with it.
Frank

Especially if you like film more than digital, it certainly is a superb camera. It's a film camera with a sensor. Make some basic settings you like and than forget about the lcd. As for iq, the Leica lens is perfect. Sold all digital gear, bought an LX100 and a nice Hasselblad set. I'm happy with it.
Frank

Interesting comments (especially the bold highlight)... as it happens, a few days ago, I downloaded a couple of LX100 Raw files from a review site, and converted them using Rawtherapee (great converter BTW). I was struck by how "film-like" the images appeared, considering that they're from a digital camera.

Now I'm worried - the LX100 is looking more and more attractive... :( :D

Received a LX100 yesterday. Going back today. Soft images that are unacceptable. I really like Lumix cameras so I'm really bummed that this camera came up short.

For the occasions I bought it for I'm not sure what to look at now. Maybe the Sony RX100.

Check Ming Thein and Steve Huff's reviews. I did before buying but also read other's as well, such as DPReview.

I did have the Type 109 when it first came out. I guess in hindsight I should have kept that one. Sharp wide open throughout the zoom range. There was a slight less-softness at the edges but acceptable. Bummer, because I don't want to go through the process of finding a good copy.

Found a sharp copy for $600. The seller was kind enough to send me photos from 24-75mm wide open and stopped down. Sharp! Then I received the camera and did my own test. Sharp wide open--even in the thirds corners. So, the one I had that was returned must have been a bad copy. I'm relieved, because I really wanted one of these. Just thought some of you would like to know.

Back