M8 is on the way...

hipsterdufus

Photographer?
Local time
6:33 PM
So, I've got an M8 on the way after lusting for one for years. Besides the obvious stuff (UV/IR cut filters, crop factor, etc.), what are some of the quirks that I should be looking out for with this camera?

I primarily plan on using it for black and white, so I'm not overly concerned about color performance. It seems that the performance in black and white is quite good at high ISOs (particularly for a camera of its age), but the reviews seem somewhat mixed.

Any tips and tricks to get the most out of it? Thanks.

Get new batteries, rotate them often, replace them often. The M8 strongly dislikes sour batteries haha.

Other than that I think you’ve got it licked!

Beautiful cameras to use and to hold.
I’ve had two Black Chrome and one Chrome. Really loved that chrome!

I have been using an M8 for several years now, and I have had no issues with off-brand batteries. My M8 works much better than my M9 (which only works fine with OEM batteries).

The framelines take some getting used to. You will get more in the image than you might expect... otherwise, enjoy. We look forward to seeing some images!

I use my M8 for B&W at 1250 ISO and like the results. Have been using it for 13 years
without any problem. Mainly use CL now for autofocus as I have 83 year old eyes but
M8 will stay with me for B&W.
Dan

If you get it with non-Leica batteries always keep spare and charged with camera.
If you will take two exposures by holding shutter button, M8 will lock and only another battery will unlock it.

I was never fascinated by M8 b/w, it was just cleaner images comparing to CMOS.
I enjoyed M8 colors even with retro DR (and even without IR cut filter) and IR capabilities with correct filter.

Somehow M8 images looks even sharper than my M-E 220 images.
Get Industar 69 28 2.8 for it. Price and performance are unmatched by any other lens.

It turns out the M8 analog electronics used to implement in-camera ISO settings has quirks. In low light perceived image quality can depend on the camera ISO setting.

There are reports of banding artifacts at camera ISO settings of 640 and above. Banding is most apparent in shadow regions.

There are data that indicate increasing ISO does not improve image signal-to-nose ratios - shadow regions; noise vs camera ISO setting.

These data support advice found in this article ("HOW TO GET THE MOST OUT OF THE LEICA M8 — A 5 YEAR REVIEW").
  • "Shoot raw (DNG), leave processing to software (Lightroom)"
  • "Stick to base ISO (160) and adjust exposure [adjusting image brightness is more accurate] in Lightroom"
In general, using raw files is useful when rendering converting color raw data as monochrome images. Shooting everything as ISO 160 means in low light on-camera image review is not practical - just like film.

You can make your own IQ vs camera ISO comparisons.

It would not surprise me if people are happy with in-camera JPEG monochrome rendering. Still, most anecdotal on-line advice recommends DNGs.

Congratulations!

1. On filters, I've tried the ICE brand UV/IR filters and while they are not as well-built as B+W, they're cheaper and they do the job.

2. On batteries, yes, buy a couple of spares even the non-Leica ones. They just won't all show the battery charge.

3. If quickly transferring photos to your phone is important to you, consider The Ravpower File Hub (https://www.ravpower.com/products/rp-wd009-filehub).

4. Shoot at ISO160 because it really does its best at base ISO. Don't worry it doesn't take that long to get used to.

50097154278_b0344ed0b4_c.jpg

50097163218_2abaa3fb65_c.jpg

5. Purposely shoot in good light (and base ISO) in the beginning, you'll fall in love with the camera quicker and be much happier with your purchase.

Enjoy your purchase. It is a gem of a camera!

I wrote an article about it here in case you find it useful. https://www.35mmc.com/26/06/2020/leica-m8-finally-falling-in-love/

Shoot it like it's film, most of the problems it's so famous for is because it just isn't as versatile as a typical digital camera of its era. Keep the ISO below 640 and try to avoid low light and you will have beautiful pictures. I never had a complaint about the color of mine.

Congratulations. I'm on my fourth M8 - bought at the beginning of June. Shoot it as if you're shooting slide film. Up to ISO640 is fine (IIRC signal amplification (or something like that) beyond 640 is different). Beyond 640 depends a lot on nailing the exposure and to some extent the subject matter. I experimented with shotting at base ISO and under exposing then pushing the result in Lightroom and could see no meaningful difference but maybe I'm not particular enough.

Good luck and have fun.

Wow, thanks for all the great advice, everyone! I know that it's a vintage digital that won't shoot like my current setups, but I've got a Nikon DF and a Sony A7 for low light/action. I bought the M8 more for the "shooting experience" of a rangefinder on the relatively cheap.

My Leica comes with an original battery and I bought a 3rd party Chinese one as well as a backup. I plan on using the Leica battery primarily with the 3rd party as a backup.

I've got lots of LTM (with M adapters) and M mount lenses that I was shooting on the A7, so no worries there. I'm definitely set on glass.

Also, such lovely pictures taffy and Helen! Thanks for posting them. I'd be lying if I said I hadn't stalked through some of your pictures here before making my buying decision.

Again, thanks for all the great advice. Now, to just get out and shoot.

I use my M8 almost always at ISO 160. With a 50mm lens I get a view of 66mm, which is suitable for a portrait lens. Its 10MP images can be taken quickly back to back, faster than what is possible with an M9. I use the M8 with many different lenses. Each lens gives me a certain flavor.

L1015287crop-M.jpg

L1015677-X3.jpg

Dana%20%28color%29-X3.jpg

PNTXM%20%283%20of%2050%29-4K.jpg

Holo.1.%20%2814%20of%2015%29-X3.jpg

L1022684-X3.jpg

L1002622-X3.jpg

I use my M8 almost always at ISO 160. With a 50mm lens I get a view of 66mm, which is suitable for a portrait lens.

L1015287crop-M.jpg
Raid, I like this portrait very much. Very flattering and she looks relaxed. Good one! :)

Back