M8 Photos

Ororaro

Well-known
Local time
10:00 AM
I'm starting to get the hang of the M8's files.
Jpegs are crap but the RAW files are outstanding!

It will take some time to shoot the M8 just like I do with M film cameras but I feel I'm getting there.

Web-L1000015.jpg

You can relate to what I said? If yes, then please post your M8 shots :)

You are limiting yourself if you shoot your M8 "just like your film M's" one of the great advantages of digital that it has returned you darkroom to you-and more. High dynamic range, selective sharpening and selective coulour are but a few options to take your work to a new level. :)

You are limiting yourself if you shoot your M8 "just like your film M's" one of the great advantages of digital that it has returned you darkroom to you-and more. High dynamic range, selective sharpening and selective coulour are but a few options to take your work to a new level. :)

The purpose of the M8, in my case, is to go back to the shooting experience just like with film (which I prefer to digital, anytime!). See with the heart, aim, capture.

For anythng else, I have my Nikon iDiot system ;)

The purpose of the M8, in my case, is to go back to the shooting experience just like with film (which I prefer to digital, anytime!). See with the heart, aim, capture.

For anythng else, I have my Nikon iDiot system ;)

You left half of it out: Off to the darkroom. Or did youuse a 24 hour lab. No? In the digital age that means put in computer time post-processing and hone your skills. Of course, as you say, there are automated cameras out there, most of them in fact, that will do the thinking for you in this respect...

Last edited:
By no means a masterpiece. Just a simple shot I had fun while shooting in a film way without chimping, by zone focusing and not really caring for the digital side of things.

Yes, the downsizing caused the jags and shooting at f8 Caused the dirt to show... The usual suspects. I won't go crazy over that :)

Now we're very far from my original intention of just having people post and talk about the film-like shooting sensation of the M8.

For the peepers and criticizers;
Here's the scene I was confronted to. As you can see, not much play composition wise. The shot I originally posted was underexposed due to the sky and I took care of the rest in PP to give it a twist it lacked.

I'm not sure what would you guys do in this case? Here's the original scene, uncropped of course.

Let's discuss. And Pitxu, your artistic vision is welcome. Don't let us down now.

Attachments

• L1000013.jpg
    L1000013.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 7
I wouldn't allow myself a harsh downsizing if I intented to post the picture on the Internet.

You must have a very dirty sensor. I shoot at f/8 and f/11 with my DSLR quite often and I never get that myriad of dust spots to cover an even blue sky. I have to stop down at f/22 to see them, and they're not that numerous.

I allow myself harsh downsizing because, obviously, this is not a money shot, it is not intended to a royal crowd of any sort and usually doesn't bother people. I allow this to myself because photography goes beyond a dust in the sky and a jag in an ugly phone line.

I have to say I'm astounded at the unconstructive pickiness, especially this being RFF.

Here's another M8 shot of mine which I find appealing. This is my favorite missed shot so far.

Pichou, I miss you. Come back... I want your expert presence.

Web-L1000796.jpg

It will take some time to shoot the M8 just like I do with M film cameras but I feel I'm getting there.

Very funny Ned.

So you are posting your worst M8 shots (if they really are M8), saying how much you like them,

just daring someone to say the truth, ie "The Emperor has no clothes."

OK Ned. The two shots you posted in the thread are remarkable only in being so ordinary. If that is the best you can do with the M8, time to sell the M8 and go back to film.

Stephen

I can't relate to that not having an M8 but I understand you have a Noctilux - have you tried the M8 with that? I would be interested to see some samples please, whether B/W or Colour, if you have some at hand of course.

thank you
clarel

Looks like some back focus there.

Good. So to end this digital debate on a good note, here is what I came up with. The processing is mine. Also, note the lack of dust and no jaggies. And the composition is not made by a 1 hour lab. I made it myself. No noise. How fantastic.

Untitled-1.jpg

Very funny Ned.

So you are posting your worst M8 shots (if they really are M8), saying how much you like them,

just daring someone to say the truth, ie "The Emperor has no clothes."

OK Ned. The two shots you posted in the thread are remarkable only in being so ordinary. If that is the best you can do with the M8, time to sell the M8 and go back to film.

Stephen

Are you saying film is for creating ordinary images and digital for more then ordinary images?

No Stephen. I enjoy shooting the M8 for its simpleness. I was only trying to stir a conversation.

As we all know, shooting film and shooting digital are entirely different. Different philosophies. I thought it would be interesting to know what people think about it. How they shoot theirs. Are they after exactness such a DSLR or are they persuing a more liberal approach, the rangefinder way?

But if you insist that people only post extraordinary images in your forum, I'm afraid you'd end up with no participants.

I like my the first shot and this is why I posted it. It's strictly my taste so I can't talk for others. I also like the second shot which is, like I already said, my best M8 missed shot so far.
I'm not sure what happened in this thread, including me, but I have to thank Stephen Gandy for letting us express ourselves. This is a very cool place after all.

heh one can always do shoot m8 while driving :D wonderful colors btw. due to your pp, it looks more like film. good work :D

Ned, this one too. I guess that one who did get used with the color film look, can always create that look in digital PP without much hassle. But it becomes much trickier with such images when you shot at day time like your two first pictures so all depends on objects btw. You have push so much contrast that almost only mid tones are left. It is what we have to deal with linear curve. But M8 would be awesome at gray, rainy weather, lol

Back