M8 with Takumar 50/1.4

What is true is that a 50mm on an M4/3 camera will capture an image with the same angle of view as a 100mm lens on an FF camera but with greater DOF than the latter (The DOF is not because it is mounted on a M4/3 camera but simply because its a 50mm lens not a 100mm lens).

Yes. This. ^^

But now I don't know if the super takumar can be adapted to M-mount (with RF coupling). It would be nice, and I know others on this forum have adapted various 50mm SLR lenses. For a while Amadeo was adapting Zeiss QBM lenses to M (and I have one of those too), but no longer.

The M42 super takumar 50/1.4 is a fairly small and ergonomic lens for an SLR lens. Even if an adaptation was permanent, I would still opt for it. The lens just doesn't get use now as an adapted m4/3 lens and I have many other lenses that are more interesting adapted to the m4/3 body. However, I seriously doubt I have more lenses to choose from than raid. That guy must have 1,000's of lenses in his closet :D

The Pentax delivers the goods as always ;)

I would love an RF coupled 50/1.4 or 50/1.2 Pentax lens. Raid, can we trouble you for a look at the lens itself? The results are lovely (though I know your talents definitely helped!)

The discussion on the Olympus mount and DoF Reminds me that somewhere, lurking inside, is a HUGE article to dispel all the misconceptions and urban legends surrounding focal length and image format.

Thanks.
Roland explains step by step how he modified the mount, and he has photos of the lens too.

https://ferider.smugmug.com/Technical/Lenses/Pentax-M-SMC-5014/

Yes. This. ^^

But now I don't know if the super takumar can be adapted to M-mount (with RF coupling). It would be nice, and I know others on this forum have adapted various 50mm SLR lenses. For a while Amadeo was adapting Zeiss QBM lenses to M (and I have one of those too), but no longer.

The M42 super takumar 50/1.4 is a fairly small and ergonomic lens for an SLR lens. Even if an adaptation was permanent, I would still opt for it. The lens just doesn't get use now as an adapted m4/3 lens and I have many other lenses that are more interesting adapted to the m4/3 body. However, I seriously doubt I have more lenses to choose from than raid. That guy must have 1,000's of lenses in his closet :D

ha ha ha I don't have "1000's of lenses"!

Something about M8 images that I love. I use mine mostly for B&W but am beginning to appreciate color.

It allows me also to take one photo after the other very quickly, unlike my M9 which "must rest after each image is taken".

I removed the color from some of the images.

TakuM8-50BW-X2.jpg

TakuM8-44BW-X2.jpg

TakuM8-48BW-XL.jpg

TakuM8-49BW-X2.jpg

TakuM8-45BW-X2.jpg

Yes, of course. The Pentax-M (not a Takumar) lens is now in M mount. It fits all M mount cameras. There is no adapter. Roland changed the mount.

Nice to see these images and thread again.
Looks like a great combo. I would be using it a lot!
Even with the storms I envy your location Raid.
Beautiful place to live.
Cheers !

December 18,2019

December 18,2019

I drove to Pensacola Beach yesterday, and the temperatures were low for Florida. It was cold, but this meant excellent colors. Here are my shots with the Pentax-M 50/1.4. I was maybe too optimistic when I pointed the lens at a setting sun. There was glare. I did not add contrast or saturation. These were the true colors.

link: https://raid.smugmug.com/M8Pentax-M50142019/i-jvsFBxz

L1002476s-L.jpg

L1002483s-L.jpg

L1002509s-L.jpg

I will next take a break from this lens. I like many other lenses.
The Pentax-M 50/1.4 seems to be a sharp lens that works very well with the M9 and M8.
I miss using the Sonnar 5cm 1.5.

Great photos, Raid. Love the colours and I have to say you live in a lovely part of the world!

On a technical note, I'm wondering how one goes about converting a Pentax M to RF. Obviously finding a talented engineer is key, but can't imagine how it's accomplished and calibrated.

Great photos, Raid. Love the colours and I have to say you live in a lovely part of the world!

On a technical note, I'm wondering how one goes about converting a Pentax M to RF. Obviously finding a talented engineer is key, but can't imagine how it's accomplished and calibrated.
Pentax 50mm lenses, going back to the Super Takumar, all have a nominal focal length of 51.6mm, the same as Leica. Add to that, most of them move at almost the exact same rate as Leica 50mm lenses. So all that is necessary is to set the Pentax lens at proper registration and for the back and forth motion of the lens optics to be transferred to the RF cam follower in the Leica body.
Phil Forrest

And I believe it also involves machining and installing a brass collar on the rear lens group for the RF cam follower to ride on. A nifty project!

Back