M9 Rear Screen Cover

The protective glass need not be intended for your specific camera model... check the dimensions and pick a product that is close to the right size. I once picked a Nikon-intended glass for (I think it was) a Pentax. Works fine.
Yes, I have tried this. But all I have to measure with is an inch measuring tape and the Schott screens are in millimeters. I'll get a small meter measure and try some more.

In desperation I have tracked Giottos down: China. I asked if they had two M8/M9 screen protectors. There website failed to accept my message, no commit. This is awful.

I found the Fuji X Pro 1 screen protector fit my M9
None at B&H, will your camera correspond with any other Fujis?

OK, I found some on Amazon. Does yours attach to the current plastic protective cover or replace it? And what brand? Thanks.

Last edited:
This looks interesting. What is scary is "Window Glass." I am not sure if they mean window glass, like what we put in windows or some other kind of glass. There is no indication it is hardened or even scratch resistant. The vagueness about the product is discouraging. This is getting like a search for the Holy Grail. ;o)

I have sent a message with questions to the seller. Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
The Giottos screen and most others I've seen attach to the existing screen cover. The original screen cover is taped to the original, do that as Barry has suggested. The glass cover has tape over the entire surface.

OK, I am working with the brain of a six year old who has not yet completely mastered the printed word. Pictures! In the following picture the new, store-bought screen attaches to #1 the plastic screen not attached to the camera or, #2 to that screen on the camera not covered by the plastic protective screen which is adrift?

M9 Screen.jpg

Last edited:
OK, I re-read Barry's first post and he is attaching the glass to the LCD, not the protective plastic cover. That seems the sensible and right thing.

Failing to get a good tempered glass cover I could just Simichrome the original Leica plastic cover, clean the LCD screen to spotless and attach the plastic screen with VHB double-sided tape. Then apply a store-bought protective screen to that. I'll see what the Window Glass cover folks say. I have a protective cover coming tomorrow for the plastic screen so I guess I had better get an old T-shirt and the Simichrome out. I will get this done and appreciate all the help.

The Giottos screens have adhesive across the entire panel. Do not attach it to the LCD.

If the glass you are using does not have adhesive, use Barry's method.

I quit using the Giottos protectors after two broke and made little spears of the glass. I found some on Ebay by AaMaxx, plastic and reasonably priced. They're a little hard to find but worth it. Edit: They seemingly don't exist anymore. Sorry.

Last edited:
I quit using the Giottos protectors after two broke and made little spears of the glass. I found some on Ebay by AaMaxx, plastic and reasonably priced. They're a little hard to find but worth it. Edit: They seemingly don't exist anymore. Sorry.
I am surprised that the Schott glass shattered in such a fashion, How did it happen?

Did you ever feel like we are trying to upgrade a buggy whip? The shame is that the M9 is such a fine camera. I have other cameras I like a lot for color and image but the old M9 just has its own special charm. And there is a persistent rumor that they work well with a remake of a pre-war German lens. I have to track that down. This remake is as elusive as the Snark. ;o) Anybody else heard these rumors?

This is designed to replace the original plastic cover and lay upon the LCD screen according to a response from the manufacturer: It is an

"Expert Shield Crystal Clear Screen Protector for Leica M9 / M9-P Camera, Standard"​

Naughty RFF will not display Amazon links.

"This shield will "lay upon" the original LCD panel. There should not be any other cover or shield on the original LCD panel. Basically the shield is designed to protect the underling LCD panel from scratches or damage."​

Your link is for a screen protector not a replacement to the original LCD cover. This type of screen protector would be placed over the original LCD cover to prevent scratches and marks.
I queried the manufacturer. Please read post #33. Thank you.

I am surprised that the Schott glass shattered in such a fashion, How did it happen?

Did you ever feel like we are trying to upgrade a buggy whip? The shame is that the M9 is such a fine camera. I have other cameras I like a lot for color and image but the old M9 just has its own special charm. And there is a persistent rumor that they work well with a remake of a pre-war German lens. I have to track that down. This remake is as elusive as the Snark. ;o) Anybody else heard these rumors?
I have no idea, I just took the camera out of the bag (Domke) and nearly sliced my finger on the pieces that were still stuck to the camera. The second time was the last for me. The camera was in the bag with the rear of the camera against the lens insert so possibly the lenses could have pushed hard enough to cause the damage. No harm was inflicted on the lcd so there is at least that in the favor of Giottos.

Back