Mac Donald's Lynx-14E

GMOG

Established
Local time
11:33 PM
Earlier today I was going through a box of camera stuff and came across the old Yashica rangefinder my maternal grandfather used. It was given to him by his brother for Christmas 1972, as noted in his handwriting on the owner's manual. Any photos in the family albums he shot of me and other family members when I was a kid were shot with this camera. I'd never really paid much attention to it, but today I took a look at it. It's a Yashica Lynx-14E. It's big and weighs in at almost 2 pounds.

Hmmm, a well-respected 45mm f1.4 fixed Yashinon-DX lens. Good rangefinder patch and frame lines. Parallax correction in the viewfinder. A little haze in the finder but not bad. Built in meter with viewfinder display. I decided to check it out, and ended up taking the top plate off so I could see about cleaning up the finder and gave the camera an overall clean-up.

The finder cleaned up very well. It's nice and clear now. The camera is in pretty good shape, glass is clean. I tested the shutter and found the speeds to be adequate. I found a nice strap in my stash for it. I'm going to load some film and see what I can do with it.

I'm curious to see what other Lynx owners have done with theirs.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Mac_Donalds_Yashica_Lynx14E_03.jpg
    Mac_Donalds_Yashica_Lynx14E_03.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Mac_Donalds_Yashica_Lynx14E_05.jpg
    Mac_Donalds_Yashica_Lynx14E_05.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 2
  • Mac_Donalds_Yashica_Lynx14E_07.jpg
    Mac_Donalds_Yashica_Lynx14E_07.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 1
A very nice family heirloom for you.

I’ve long wanted one and was finally able to get mine within the last few years. Everything on it works, including the meter. The viewfinder on mine provides a somewhat pleasant blue-green cast of the world - I’m not sure if that’s the normal way things appear in a Lynx viewfinder or not.

Although most rangefinder aficionados would call the Lynx and other Yashica rangefinders large, it is actually the perfect size for me.

I’ve not done anything with mine other than place some Pliobond around the small “Lynx 14E” plate - these have a tendency to fall off over time. Pliobond was probably not the best choice though.

Congrats on the find! I have one as well, a gift from the owner of the last camera shop in town when he retired. Mine needed cleaning upstairs as well as the shutter, but it didn’t take a great deal of work to get it running nicely. The Lynx 14E is in a rather exclusive class of fixed-lens rangefinders with a f1.4 lens. It has a (necessarily) large lens, and a proportionately large body.

I have shot a few rolls through mine and was impressed by the optics. I love the rendering of the lens, and although of somewhat less importance to me, it is remarkably sharp. The trade-off is this, and you have already mentioned it: the weight. It is a beast of a 35mm camera, and while the weight does contribute to hand-held stability, it often gets left behind. That said, it is certainly the go-to rangefinder for low light scenarios.

The only issue I have with the design is the wind lever. It is smooth and angled in such a way that it sometimes slips from under my thumb after winding the film and snaps back into place. Admittedly, the design flaw may be in the shape of my thumb. On all my old cameras I try to ease the wind levers back down every time. I may coat the end of the lever with something to prevent it from happening.

I would shoot a few frames wide open, carefully focused and on a tripod, to make sure that the rangefinder is still on target. Yours looks great with that strap—classy outfit!

I have a broken one.
It was my first Ebay purchase and was sold by a lady who stated that the camera was in good shape.
When it arrived it turn out to be not functional at all. I protested and the lady said I have been rude.
The first lesson I learned as to Ebay: never buy a camera from a person who never taken a photo in his/her life.
Right now the camera is not with me. I won't try a repair because my guess is that it is a non-trivial one. Pity because the lens is in good condition.

I used to have Lynx 5000e which has slower lens (f1.8). It was a nice camera, but ultimately I sold it (too many cameras, too little time to shoot).

A very nice family heirloom for you.

Yes it is! It feels good using a tool I know my grandfather used. I'm glad I spent the time bringing it back into use.

I took The camera out for my dawn patrol hike this morning and shot a few frames. I'll post results after I develop and scan the film. I think this machine handles well. I like how you can grip both the aperture and shutter speed rings and change settings without altering the exposure value (a tip from the manual). The release button has a good feel to it. I read complaints about the aperture ring's lack of detents but that hasn't gotten in the way yet.

I’ve long wanted one and was finally able to get mine within the last few years. Everything on it works, including the meter. The viewfinder on mine provides a somewhat pleasant blue-green cast of the world - I’m not sure if that’s the normal way things appear in a Lynx viewfinder or not.

I ordered some power cells for the meter. I'd like for it to work, but I wonder how the extra voltage will impact its performance. Removing the bottom plate provides access to the meter's electronics, and I noticed a pot on the board. Perhaps any performance issues can be adjusted out.

My Lynx's viewfinder has the same color cast, so it must be normal for them. I assume this has to do with the beam splitter's bright orange color. As it is contrast between the overall view and the patch and frame lines is very good.

Although most rangefinder aficionados would call the Lynx and other Yashica rangefinders large, it is actually the perfect size for me.

I agree. I have medium-sized hands and this camera fits perfectly.

The trade-off is this, and you have already mentioned it: the weight. It is a beast of a 35mm camera

Ha ha! No doubt. But compared other 35mm cameras I own and use with similar lenses it's not any heavier. For example, it weighs about the same as my Nikon FM with Voigtlander 40mm Ultron lens.

The only issue I have with the design is the wind lever. It is smooth and angled in such a way that it sometimes slips from under my thumb after winding the film and snaps back into place.

This has happened to me, too. I was thinking of removing the lever and filing some notches where my thumb contacts it.

I would shoot a few frames wide open, carefully focused and on a tripod, to make sure that the rangefinder is still on target. Yours looks great with that strap—classy outfit!
Good advice. The rangefinder looks good at infinity. I'll check out accuracy at closer distances.

Funny thing about that strap - I've had it for a while and didn't like it on other cameras. But when I put it on the Lynx it seemed right at home.

The first lesson I learned as to Ebay: never buy a camera from a person who never taken a photo in his/her life.

Agreed. I bought a Kodak Instamatic X-15F from an individual who said that the camera worked great. When I got it I found the advance mechanism was crunchy and stiff, and sometimes would jam. And after shooting a roll with it I found that the shutter speed was off (yes - only one speed!). I didn't bother returning it since it was a $12 purchase. I found another at a similar price that works fine. What I did do was ding the seller on the "Description" part of the feedback I provided.

The first time I used mine I was amazed at the detail I could get. Took a shot of a dogwood tree in full bloom with bumble bees flying around, and even from a distance of some fifteen feet or more you can make out the wings! I had done a quick cleaning on the shutter, and after not using it for a while it got sticky again. I set it aside to do a more thorough cleaning, and just never got back to it. Maybe someday.

PF

I was playing around with mine today - specifically the wind lever. Maybe my actions are just very slow, but at no time was there any way for the lever to slip and snap back after the end of the wind cycle. Perhaps I just hold and wind differently than others. I spent my first 15 years of 35mm photography with just a Pentax SP500, so maybe that influences how I operate the wind lever.

Anyway, perhaps there’s a plastic tip or other non-permanent way of modifying the lever to avoid the issue.

Back