Madness - X-Pro 1 revisited ... ?

dee

Well-known
Local time
5:23 AM
OK
I now have the XP2 which is all I could ever WANT , not need as my abilities are modest, mostly architecture which tends not to move too quickly .
I Guess it's mostly about comfort factor of using a camera to frame and contain a confusing world .

I now have a modest collection of Fujis picked up over time 'just because' mainly chasing those kit zooms , but keep returning to the very 1st from mid 2016 - the X-Pro1 and 27mm..
It still retains it's original firmware as my ancient Mac won't play ball .
The truth is , it's fine for me with the OVF and 27, I am even not concerned about frame lines as I seem to guess reasonably accurately .
Just another example of horses of courses I guess , X-Pro2 = reassurance , X-Pro1 = familiarity .

Respect
dee

Every iteration of the X-Pro has been my favorite camera... but each time I get the latest one, I no longer care about the older ones. The X-Pro3 just has no faults as far as I’m concerned. I couldn’t say that about the 1 or 2. Of course they are still great.

My 3 digital cameras remain X-Pro-1, XT-1, and an original X-100. I sometimes ask if a newer camera would improve my photos. I always conclude the limiting factor is my talent and not hardware.

Reactions: dct
If buying a new camera had anything to do with talent, there’d be no camera companies. Conversely, it’s always nice to not need or want something. For me, I can afford a new camera here and there and I enjoy it immensely. I do not feel guilty one bit if someone out there thinks I don't deserve it. Not many other things that I buy get used as often and that is enough to satisfy my guilt.

Not just a bicycle, but fixie. I run one since C19, because we have empty roads.

Yeah, I'm well aware of fixies... they were super popular when I lived in NYC. I definitely will buy a bike after Covid relaxes.

I miss the colours of the xpro 1...if one is satisfied at what it produces why change. The only gripe i had with the xpro 1, which ultimately led me to move on from it was its frame lines was hard to see during daylight; even when i had cranked the brightness to its highest setting.

Xpro1 would be fun camera to try (I never did but followed its reception over the years). Risk is that new system starts to grow from there :D

I miss the colours of the xpro 1...if one is satisfied at what it produces why change. The only gripe i had with the xpro 1, which ultimately led me to move on from it was its frame lines was hard to see during daylight; even when i had cranked the brightness to its highest setting.

Having recently acquired an x-Pro1, I'm finding it very nice to use, but I have the same problem with the dim frame lines in the OVF.

I wasn't aware that the brightness of the frame lines was adjustable. If it is, I'd be grateful to learn how. :)

My first Fuji was the Xpro3 purchased in January of this year. A month later there was an
Xt-4/16-80WR sitting next to it. Hopefully by next week Ace Photo will be restocked and a X100v will be coming home. But I just picked up a nice condition Xpro1 and I love it. A 27mm WR will be living on it and I’m going to set the custom film simulations with B&W profiles. The color simulations are varied enough I don’t think I’ll add any others. I still love shooting film and the Fuji’s bring me closest to that feeling. I haven’t had a chance to get out with it but the countless people saying the look of photos from the Xpro1 are still their favorites and more film like made me decide to take a chance on one.

Last edited:
I like the xpro1 with the 27mm or 18mm. Nice colours, simple operation, I can live with the speed. I much prefer it to X100T - too often I didn't like the pictures from that one. I sold my first xpro1 because the buttons were iffy, but bought another a few years later.

The X-Pro 1 and 27mm was my first Fuji "kit". I thought it'd be perfect but the framelines were always wildly off - something that, oddly, wasn't a problem with other lenses, like the 35mm f2. It drove me nuts.

Did anyone else have that problem?

The later firmware updates fix some framing issues, notably version 3.10:

https://fujifilm-x.com/en-us/support/download/firmware/cameras/x-pro1/

Long ago, I upgraded my firmware early in the camera’s life in order to stop the “aperture chatter” and slow AF. For some of the focusing and exposure aids, I then upgraded to 3.40 and stayed there for a few years. Just recently I upgraded to 3.82 and also updated my lenses, not because I think the updates offered features I would need, but because I thought they may contain a few minor unmentioned bug fixes.

I just checked and my X-Pro 1 is actually on 3.82, despite having sat on the shelf for the best part of two years at this point. I think I made a point of upgrading the firmware on all my Fuji kit when I bought the X-Pro 2 last summer; I was intending on getting rid of the X-Pro 1 and keeping the X-T1 as a backup body.

Having spent the last couple of hours playing with the X-Pro 1 again to double-check I wasn't mis-remembering the OVF behaviour (I wasn't - the 27mm is still miles out, even with all the firmware upgrades on both lens and body), I remember why I liked it more than the X-T1. It just feels nice, where the X-T1 didn't. If you leave it in auto-focus it's quite a good little shooter. But as a manual focus purist, it always felt like it fell short; the X-T1 drove me nuts in so many ways, but at least it had better peaking and the auto-focus check option when the focusing ring was turned.

I'm glad Fuji made so many improvements with the OVF and manual focusing experience on the X-Pro 2. It really is the best of both worlds for me.

Seeing the comparison photos above, there are three obvious things in particular that make me like the X-Pro2:

- The way ISO is selected - identically to how you selected film speed on film cameras. That’s a nice touch that always makes me smile.

- The C setting on the exposure compensation dial, plus more range.

- Most importantly: diopter correction for the viewfinder.

Among other differences, I notice two extra contacts on the hotshoe. Interesting.

Back