Mail-order film processing

I have had all my film processed by The Darkroom in San Clemente, CA., and have been pleased with their performance. Check out their services and pricing online at their website Photo Lab Film Developing | Develop Film by Mail for $12 - The Darkroom
Have used The Darkroom.com for years for film developing. Within the last two months, they have shut me out of access to my scanned photos. My user name and password suddenly do not work. I have sent them numerous emails with no response. THIS SUCKS!!!

I need a new home for developing and scanning my film. In home is not option and the co-op darkroom in the basement of an art gallery closed over 20 years ago. Who works best for you?

Dwaynes always comes up in these discussions, with good reason. They are fairly priced, consistently good, and have reasonably quick turnaround. They are the lab that your E-6 film actually goes to when you use Fuji prepaid mailers. That in itself speaks volumes about their quality and consistency.

+1 for The Darkroom out of CA. Used them for years and never a problem (I am in VA). I use mailers and only have them develop negatives and the negs are always super clean. I ran photo labs back in the day and the amount of film run through a machine per day matters as fresh replenishment of the chemistry for each roll run keeps the chemistry “healthy”. The Darkroom seems to be busy (and they have been very efficient in their service and communication). My local labs aren’t busy at all and do a terrible job of keeping up their machines.

I've been a big supporter of Dwayne's mostly for the price and fact they mount E6 slides by default. Lately, however, I've noticed them taking a long time to scan my film, and I worry they will lose business because of this. I called them and the lady I spoke with said they were down to one machine for doing the scanning. My thought was, "well, add some machines!"

Nice little story about these guys - Underdog Film Lab:

Reminds me of watching old Underdog cartoons as a boy :)

Last edited:
I want to start shooting color c41 film again with my Rolleiflex and am looking for a lab that will scan high resolution and give me TIFF files. I have a Nikon LS5000ED for 135 film but no way to digitize roll film. Seems most of the labs I have looked at so far will only output jpg. Why is that? Also if a lab provides TIFF files then are they 14 or 16 bit scans or 8 bit saved as TIFF?

Not mentioned by anyone but if you're happy with the current lab, don't they offer mail-in? If they don't they may be the only one in the world that doesn't.

Back