Mapping the Freestyle Discount Films

samoksner

Who stole my light?
Local time
3:03 AM
From what I've gathered and somewhat loosely tested, I've found the following information to be true:

Arista Premium 100 = Kodak PlusX 100
Arista Premium 400 = Kodak TriX 400

Arista EDU Ultra 100 = Fomapan 100 Classic
Arista EDU Ultra 200 = Fomapan 200 Creative
Arista EDU Ultra 400 = Fomapan 400 Action

Legacy Pro 100 = Fuji Across 100
Legacy Pro 400= Fuji Neopan 400

EDIT: It has been confirmed by the owners of Adox that their film is in fact re-packaged Efke. Although this is not a Freestlye film, freestyle does carry both films, check which is cheaper when ordering.

The following is no longer relevant:
I've read rumors that modern Adox film is actually re-branded Efke which was duplicating the original Adox formulas from the 50s-60s. A couple years after Efke came out with these films, a company bought the name Adox to use the Efke films (or so the rumor goes). Regardless of whether or not they are the same, they cost the same price so it's kind of a mute point.

Can anyone confirm that these films are the same?

Adox CHS 25 Art = Fotokemika Efke KB25
Adox CHS 50 Art = Fotokemika Efke KB50
Adox CHS 100 Art = Fotokemika Efke KB100

Are any other of the films that Freestyle sells re-branded, It could be very useful for all this sort of information to be centralized into one thread.

Please share your experience with the re-branded films, where they the same as the real thing? How was it different?

Last edited:
See ... film isn't dead!

It's just having an identity crisis! :p

Is the Pro 100 really Acros? Other threads have said it was a different fuji Neopan, not Acros. That's why I haven't tried it.

Is the Pro 100 really Acros? Other threads have said it was a different fuji Neopan, not Acros. That's why I haven't tried it.

The real name for Fuji Acros is Fuji Neopan 100 Acros.

Here is the link to fuji's site: http://www.fujifilmusa.com/products/professional_photography/film/neopan_black_white/400/index.html

If you like 100 acros, or 100 neopan (however they've been naming it where you are, try this out, it's cheap and it's supposed to be identical.)

Now if you're saying that the 100 stuff is different then the 400 stuff, then yes, it's basic look translates acrossfilm speeds, but not as well as say delta 400 and 100. Acros 100 is great film though, can't go wrong.

I've only shot one roll of the Pro 100 and to my eyes it looks more like Acros than Neopan 100. I'd go with Acros. I have a roll of Acros I need to finish up, then I'll have a better comparison.

I think Zonan may have been referring to the fact that in Japan (& perhaps some other markets), Fuji offers another Neopan 100 ISO film which is not Acros, called Neopan SS (see, e.g., http://www.japanexposures.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=27&products_id=33 ). What they sell in the U.S. as Neopan 400 & 1600 are designated in Japan as Presto & Super Presto.

The real name for Fuji Acros is Fuji Neopan 100 Acros.

Here is the link to fuji's site: http://www.fujifilmusa.com/products/professional_photography/film/neopan_black_white/400/index.html

If you like 100 acros, or 100 neopan (however they've been naming it where you are, try this out, it's cheap and it's supposed to be identical.)

Now if you're saying that the 100 stuff is different then the 400 stuff, then yes, it's basic look translates acrossfilm speeds, but not as well as say delta 400 and 100. Acros 100 is great film though, can't go wrong.

Last edited:
Fuji Neopan 100 SS

Fuji Neopan 100 SS

Yes, there is a Fuji Neopan 100 SS that has been selling for $2 per roll (36 exposures) for the last year or so. I understand that's becuase it has been discontinued by Fuji. I stocked up on it because I think it's great. The latest expiration date I've seen is June 2010 so there must be a lot left. Develops nicely with stock XTOL or D76.

the premium 400 is tri-x so that goes for the 100 FT rolls too? can anyone confirm this? or has anyone else bought and shot the 100ft rolls of the 400 premium.

It is my understanding from reliable sources at Freestyle that:

Arista 100 is (wink, wink) made by a "famous manufacturer" which uses green boxes and is Neopan 100.

Arista 400 is Neopan 400.

Freestyle sells an astounding amount of b/w film, and could be said to be keeping film-based photography alive and expanding it with the Holga line. 120 film of all types, in some markets, is selling very well.

I am not affliated but I did buy a 20-roll pack to try out legacy pro.

legacypro_20_pack_2.png

Back