Mapping the Freestyle Discount Films

It is my understanding from reliable sources at Freestyle that:

Arista 100 is (wink, wink) made by a "famous manufacturer" which uses green boxes and is Neopan 100.

Arista 400 is Neopan 400.

Freestyle sells an astounding amount of b/w film, and could be said to be keeping film-based photography alive and expanding it with the Holga line. 120 film of all types, in some markets, is selling very well.

Now I'm confused. I thought that it was clarified earlier in the thread that Arista Premium 100 is Plus-X and the 400 is TRI-X.

However, your friend says that it is really Neopan? Is he/she joking?

I was going to take advantage of that deal on Legacy (Neopan?) as it is so cheap. So, does anyone know for sure which is which? ( this is getting quite confusing^^)

cheers

Jaans, the first post in this thread says it all.

Arista Premium (Kodak X films) is not Legacy Pro (Fuji Neopans).

Jaans, the first post in this thread says it all.

Arista Premium (Kodak X films) is not Legacy Pro (Fuji Neopans).

Thanks Bruin for that succint clarification. I am heading back to Australia soon where I found film prices quite exorbitant, so it actually works out cheaper to import packs of this 20 Legacy, even with the shipping costs.

I was paying $8.90 for a box of TRI-X at a large photo store and HP5 can run as high as $15 AUD from the local camera shop in the city or shopping center.

I have always been a TRI-X kind of guy but at these prices it looks like it will tip the scale towards Legacy/Neopan!

You can cross out Arista EDU Ultra 200 = Fomapan 200 Creative. It's out or production until further notice.

Sorry to hear that. I had bookmarked that page a few weeks ago when I came across it while searching the web. But I was suspicious when I could not find the link to this page from their website.
Thanks for checking dough!

the premium 400 is tri-x so that goes for the 100 FT rolls too? can anyone confirm this? or has anyone else bought and shot the 100ft rolls of the 400 premium.

Yep, it does behave like tri-x. I processed it with a rodinal analog and followed processing times for tri-x, it came out great. :)

I've used LegacyPro 400 and 100 in 100ft rolls. You can indeed find "Fuji" stamped on the bulk roll flanks.

I've used LegacyPro 400 and 100 in 100ft rolls. You can indeed find "Fuji" stamped on the bulk roll flanks.

I have just developed my first rolls of Legacy Pro 400, which I bought in cassettes, not bulk, a couple of months ago. Other than frame numbers top and bottom there is nothing on the film to identify it as Fuji. Only the numbers "400-36" and "271". I am not disputing its origin, just saying that there is nothing to say so. I also have a 100ft roll in the freezer which I haven't started yet.

Gas chromatography/mass spectroscopy results indicate that Arista Premium 100 and 400 are Kodak Plus-X and Tri-X and that the Legacy Pro 100 and 400 are Fuji Acros and Neopan 400. The LP400 does seem to have a different base from the Fuji product going on look and feel; I only tested the emulsion by GCMS, and the emulsions are definitely identical.

Marty

The real name for Fuji Acros is Fuji Neopan 100 Acros.

Here is the link to fuji's site: http://www.fujifilmusa.com/products/professional_photography/film/neopan_black_white/400/index.html

If you like 100 acros, or 100 neopan (however they've been naming it where you are, try this out, it's cheap and it's supposed to be identical.)

Now if you're saying that the 100 stuff is different then the 400 stuff, then yes, it's basic look translates acrossfilm speeds, but not as well as say delta 400 and 100. Acros 100 is great film though, can't go wrong.

I tried Both Neopan SS100 and Neopan Acros 100. They are not the same film. The Acros emulsion is a superior product. There is also a price difference, the Acros being more expensive in the US market. So which one is Freestyle re-labeling? If you've tested these emulsions and found them to be the same, I would like to know where the film came from (country-market) and how old it is. I must say, I'm confused by all this. There was a note in a thread a while back saying the Freestyle Acros product had a thicker backing than the Fuji branded product.. that would indicate a different film. If you have both, enlarge both and examine the grain closely. And please let us know the results. If it's the real stuff, it's a good deal.

OZ isn't the only place that Tri-X is high. I stopped at a local Wolf Camera Friday to get a roll of Tri-X 36 exp to run through a new-to-me Contax 137 MD and a Yashica 50 1.4 M lens and they wanted $7.27 plus tax! Decided I'd wait until my next Freestyle order and get Arista Premium 400 to test the combo.

OZ isn't the only place that Tri-X is high. I stopped at a local Wolf Camera Friday to get a roll of Tri-X 36 exp to run through a new-to-me Contax 137 MD and a Yashica 50 1.4 M lens and they wanted $7.27 plus tax! Decided I'd wait until my next Freestyle order and get Arista Premium 400 to test the combo.

Hilariously (and awesomely), my local CVS has Tri-X on the shelf. I think it's about $5.50 a roll or something though.

Back