Mapping the Freestyle Discount Films

I just bought some FUN40036 at B&H for $4.50 a roll.
Freestyle is $5.09

And, I did not see any Legacy of any kind (I was looking for Legacy Pro 400)... So Fuji Neopan 400 is my next favorite 400 of a old-school grain film.

And yes, the Stock Number for Fuji Neopan 400 36x is FUN40036 :p

Bought 10 rolls of Arista Premium 400. When looking at Reciprocity Failure, should I count this stuff as a Kodak film - considering it is re-branded TriX?

I ask because for school we have been assigned to do low light shooting and I have a chart with Indicated Exposure time compared to PanF, FP-4, Afga25 Afga100, HP-5 and Kodak time (So indicated time is to be 1 second = 2 seconds for Kodak films).

Can anyone chime in on using Arista EDU Ultra B&W 400. I believe it is Fomapan 400 action. Is it? I have used it but it was 3 or 4 years ago.

Kenmore 400......

Kenmore 400......

A few questions.....

What kind of base does this have? is it thick enough not to curl after drying? Like HP5, Delta 400, Tr-X?

Do you guys/gals that use it, like the results in Rodinal (Standard Develop, not stand)?

Grain Wise... Tri-X like or Delta 400 like.

I am trying tighten my film budget a bit, maybe, I get a roll or 2 more if I can save a few bucks per roll.

Hello Everyone,

If I read correctly, only 2 (or 3) alternatives for Kodak films are still available from Freestyle. Is there another thread with other films and their corresponding cheaper alternatives?

Bests,

Ashfaque

Hi,
I see most low cost b&w films offered by Freestyle are now Arista Edu Ultra... I tried to find here on rff some clear, present day information on them but I couldn't...
Maybe some forum members can share recent findings...
Are all of them, 100, 200 and 400, 35mm and 120, the same film? Which film or films? Traditional grain? Any other comments?
Thanks a lot!

From what I gathered, consensus around here is that the arista edu ultra films are all foma equivalents. Chris Crawford swore by the 100 being identical. I have used a lot of the 100 in caffenol and it is an excellent film.

Thanks, Noll!
I use Rodinal only... Any Arista Edu Ultra / Rodinal users?
I like crisp grain, and I like pushing, and I don't care about some speed loss...
Reasons for picking 100, 200 or 400 in both formats? Curling?
Cheers,
Juan

I don't have any knowledge or experience with the 100 and 400 but the Ultra 200/ Fomapan 200 in 35mm is very nice and it dries more flat than any other film that I use.
I have read that the 120 version curls like there is no tomorrow.

The Ultra 200 has a very unique look and processed right have a nice long gray scale. All 3 of these Foma film need less development than most other film and contrast increase pretty fast with overdevelopment.
I expose Fomapan 200 at iso 100

I shot a couple rolls of the 400, developed in caffenol but was not very pleased with the results. Everything looked very blah. I'm sure others get better results. Do a google image search for "Fomapan 400" and you'll find a lot of interesting (some nsfw!) samples.

Back