MATE (V.1) on the 35mm Leica CL ?

I've got those two things but I've never thought of putting them together. In the interests of science I just did though.

The CL's frame lines don't change as you switch focal lengths, that is the viewfinder constantly shows the 40mm and 50mm framelines together. That's not an impediment though as I use the whole viewfinder view to approximate 35mm. For 28mm I'd have to guess or use an external viewfinder. The lens blocks the lower right hand corner of the viewfinder; not much for 50mm but quite a bit if using the whole view for 35mm.

I then tried the MATE on a Minolta CLE and the lens mount doesn't seem to work properly on the camera. At 50mm you see the 28 and 90 lines; at 35mm you see the 28 lines, although it briefly brings up the 40 lines as you turn the ring; at 28 again you see the 28 and 90 lines.

On both cameras the lens feels large, and max f4 is a limitation for me, but there is the versatility I suppose.

Thanks for your excellent explanation.
I'm awaiting delivery of my mate and I had expected to use it on my 35mm CL because I like having a built-in meter.

Back