Migration to/from film or digital... A poll

Migration to/from film or digital... A poll

• Total voters

kxl

Social Documentary
Local time
3:59 AM
This is NOT meant to be another film v. digital debate.

Notice that I use the term migration, so this poll is meant for those who are transitioning or have transitioned to/from film or digital. So if you are and have always been in the category of "they'll have to pry my film camera from my cold, dead hands," then the poll is not for you. But please feel free to comment.

I am curious to know what your reasons are for migrating from one medium to the other.

I'll start off: I'm in Category #4 - Mostly Digital. While I still shoot film and love doing so, the requirements of time and physical space required to develop film are constraints for me. At some point in the future, if an affordable DRF is ever released, then I can see myself moving toward Category #5 - All digital.

This should be interesting...

This is NOT meant to be another film v. digital debate.

Notice that I use the term migration, so this poll is meant for those who have transitioned to/from film or digital. So if you are and have always been in the category of "they'll have to pry my film camera from my cold, dead hands," then the poll is not for you. But please feel free to comment.

I'll start off: I'm in Category #4 - Mostly Digital. While I still shoot film and love doing so, the requirements of time and physical space required to develop film are constraints for me. At some point in the future, if an affordable DRF is ever released, then I can see myself moving toward Category #5 - All digital.

This should be interesting...

Oops, I voted before reading he instructions. I am not transitioning between film and digital. Sorry.

My commercial work has been pretty much digital since 2000 but now that I'm retiring I'm going back to B&W film.

I feel I'm too old to either process film or get it done for me.
If I take a picture I want to see it today - I might not be here tomorrow! LOL

I'm still all film, though I'll probably eventually add digital to the mix. I've been watching Fuji's digital developments with some interest, but I still have a hard time with the idea of doing photography on the computer.

- Murray

Gave film up several years ago. Hated that I wasn't shooting my Contax G but the delay, quality of scans and general headache associated with film became a problem I didn't want to deal with.

My film->digital transition was in 2002 with the 4MP Canon 1D. While it lacked the detail/resolution of film, it offered the immediacy of digital and ability to custom process color images better than I could get from area labs. Being a time when digital was still fairly expensive, it also offered some competitive advantages over those still shooting film.

There are aspects of film I miss - the tactile quality, the silver image, the smell of cracking open a new roll, the chemistry. But those are nostalgic feelings that have zero influence on my creativity and current photography.

In 2003 I realized I'd probably never go back to shooting/processing film and haven't in the 11 years since. At the moment, no regrets. The digital image backlog requiring attention is too mountainous and I just don't feel I have the time to spend hours/days in the darkroom again chipping away at the analog backlog I abandoned a decade ago. That said, I've been thinking about getting a scanner for those images, to bring them into the digital realm...

just a year ago I was 90% digital and 10% film shooter but a lot changed early this year and have to say that I'm the complete opposite now, 90% film and 10% digital.

for my personal work, I prefer shooting all various type of film camera from 35mm all the way to 4x5.
digital is only for portraits and weddings which I don't do a lot either.

it's just the overall experience of film that I prefer, from shooting, processing and dark room printing.
but this is probably because since I'm in a computer 40 hours a week for work, outside of work I would rather be doing something else

Right down the middle, today that is. I had gone completely to digital a decade ago, but felt something was missing.

So, in a way, I sorta' transitioned back to film!

I started all film - like everybody else at that time, it was 1972. Then I had to give up all but slides for many years, and when I realized inkjet prints were getting close to darkroom output, I tried to go all digital. I quickly realized I wanted to do only B&W and at the same time, that digital B&W was looking ugly to me, as if the whole point of shooting B&W would have been betrayed. Since then I am B&W film only shooting, developing scanning and printing on inkjet myself. I have physically no space for a darkroom and even less time to work in it.

I do it all.
I added Digital to film relatively late after starting with my first Yashica SLR in 1982 as a teen...2007/8 added an Eos 40D and then 5D and RD1.

I Prefer B+W film. Scanning at Home and outsourced. inkjet printing all outsourced.
Color is mostly all digital with the acceptation of an occasional roll through the Rolleiflex and especially the Holga Cameras (holga and E6 creates some very fun images).

Cheers!

Amateur here, when shooting serious I prefer film. Shooting more digital when I need to document daily life, events or when trying something different...
I voted 3, even if numerical is more digital...
robert

In the past few years, I've mostly moved back to film from digital. I have also been trying to "transition" my portrait customers back to film...but honestly it is only me who really cares.

During the Spring of 2000, I had the opportunity to travel to London. I had landed an unbelievable deal for flight and hotel room that was hard to pass up. So I decided to purchased my first digital camera (Olympus C3030Z) to see what the fuss was about.

i-HxZgcFC-L.jpg

Still is a pretty nice photo for 3.3mp.

After that experience we always had 2 or 3 small digitals around the house which we used for vacations and family photos. As time went by the old M3 sat relegated to the bureau. But in the studio it was the Hassy or the Nikon F series.

It wasn't until the Nikon D70 that I wanted something a bit more digitally serious. I purchased a D70s in the summer of 2005. There's been a parade of digital cameras ever since.

Today all of the film cameras are gone (that's a bit of a lie as there's a Yashica MG-1 badly in need of seals sitting around here somewhere). So I'm all digital. Since I retired the D3's are gone but I've got a D700 (it's a bit old but I like the darn thing so much), a D7100, and a Fuji X100s.

Good films are disappearing one by one. Can't really find a good lab for processing, and usually don't have the time to process on my own.

I still occasionally shoot medium format film, though. There are times when small formats don't cut it.

I started when digital was not mainstream... 1990. By 1998 I was burnt out. In 2007, I decided to start photographing again and used both film and digital. However, once I saw the scans from supposed 'Pro" labs, I was horrified. I knew digital was going to be the route I had to go. Now, I've pretty much transitioned from film to digital completely (I haven't used film since early in the year)...and as primarily a color photographer, digital just works better for my needs. The film cameras are nicer of course, but you gotta use what works best for your current photography.

When I was in school with a color darkroom, then film made sense. I've never liked the results from affordable / lab scanners. So basically, if I had regular daily access to a darkroom, I might use film more (probably B&W since color is preferred in digital). However, digital just fits my lifestyle and photography better at this time.

Went from all film to all digital for a 3 years and went back to film. The last transition took 1 year while I tried out medium format. Think I'm going larger next year.

I do have a digital camera but that is used when I take stuff apart so I can get it back together afterwards.

Back