Migration to/from film or digital... A poll

Migration to/from film or digital... A poll

• Total voters
I recently bought a used Leica M6. I've shot digital for nearly a decade, and began photography with digital, but something was calling me to try film. And so, I've just finished my 3rd roll of film ever (and am pretty excited to keep doing it).

So far, I love it! I love slowing down and making each shot count. What I'm realizing that don't love though, is the cost. It's not cheap to develop film where I live. And scans? Super expensive.

I'm nowhere near understanding how to go about developing my own film yet, but that might come somewhere down the road. I want to try to build a light-box DIY scanner so that I can photograph my negatives with my Fuji X-T2, that way I'm not reliant on paying $30 / 36 shot roll at london drugs, and instead can work with my own Raw files.
Probably my most "liberating" purchase was the Epson 700 scanner I bought a few years ago. Once you have that, developing b/w negatives is an easy step, and I have even since started experimenting with color negatives too. I began with rodinal semistand for convenience and also use regularly diafine and HC-110 developers, each of which have their advantages for a simple and unfussy process, especially for one shot highly diluted concentrations.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

I shoot a lot of both these days, till the Monochrom came to me it was clearly B&W on film and color as digital, but still is pretty much 50-50 film-digital.

After 30+ years shooting film, I moved to all digital a little less than 10 years ago. First it was digital for color and film for B&W. But I became dissatisfied with the materials then available for shooting and printing B&W--the films I used had changed, the developers had changed and the printing papers I loved were long gone. So I started shooting my B&W with digital, bought a nice printer and discovered so-called "fine art" matte surface inkjet papers. I discovered I like the look of digital B&W...actually, I like it better.

I started playing around with photography using my dad's Pentax K1000, but my learning was slow. I wound up getting a Minolta Dimage 7i and the learning process accelerated quickly thanks to the quick feedback you get from digital, to the point where I was comfortable exposing film (mostly color slide film) and knowing that I was going to get it right. After a long run of shooting and scanning film followed by a hiatus from photography for a few years, I'm back to digital. I don't really have the desire to spend time in the darkroom, nor do I do much in the way of editing digital images. I prefer to spend the time I have for photography on actually taking photos.

(1) Switched from film to digital. (2) Switched from digital to hybrid. (3) Switched from hybrid to digital. (4) return to step 2 and continue.

Back