marcr1230

Well-known
Local time
9:08 AM
I really like this lens

5838310464_98e0701868_z.jpg

This is outside Wrigley Field - taken w/TMAX 100

NSP-11-04-001 by marc1230, on Flickr

this one is on Neopan 400 - outside my favorite breakfast place, with my favorite models

the best one of all , I can't post because my good friend who was in it is not really comfortable with the posting photos on the internet - but this lens excels in shooting wide open or near wide open, indoors, available light - the bokeh is just right, blurred but not distracting - allowing for a very dimensional rendering

It also runs circles around any version of the Pre-ASPH 50 Summilux. One of our members here had a few frames from the Millennium Nikkor against the 50 Lux, and performance wide open and up close was much sharper / higher contrast.

A great lens, for sure. I just wish it came in LTM / M mount. I wonder if the optics could be swapped to fit the older barrel.

It also runs circles around any version of the Pre-ASPH 50 Summilux. One of our members here had a few frames from the Millennium Nikkor against the 50 Lux, and performance wide open and up close was much sharper / higher contrast.

A great lens, for sure. I just wish it came in LTM / M mount. I wonder if the optics could be swapped to fit the older barrel.

I used to have an Amedeo S-mount to LTM-mount adapter I so could use that lens even with a Barnack. :)

I still have not used my Millenium Nikkor, and I have an Amedeo adapter for it.

A good lens. But, having them tested side by side (with Amedeo adapter), the 50 pre-asph Lux (v2) is noticably "sharper" (higher center resolution) at infinity, while the Millenium is better at closer focus.

Does it give you that awesome 18" focus throw like the original LTM versions? Because that would be really neat.

BTW, MikeL can teach you how to change an Amedeo adapter for 0.7m focus on a Leica.

Roland.

A good lens. But, having them tested side by side (with Amedeo adapter), the 50 pre-asph Lux (v2) is noticably "sharper" (higher center resolution) at infinity, while the Millenium is better at closer focus.

According to this article, the Millennium is sharper than the Summilux 50/1.4 ASPH at infinity... something not quite right with your adapter maybe, Roland?

Optics don't swap between barrels. The Millennium/Olympic is a complete redesign over the 1940s/'50s version and the optics are muc larger -- the rear element is as large as physically possible with the Nikon-S/Contax lens mount. The formula is much closer to the early Nikon F SLR version of the 50/1.4.

That millenium Nikor looks like a tasty lens. Same you cant get it in native M mount.

I read the Imagere article. Thought it was pretty weak. Since it gets quoted a lot, it bothered me enough to write a rebuttal below :)

His conclusion about the FLE beining optimised for more DOF in front than behind the subject sounded to me like he hadn't considered rangefinder adjustment, Lens flange tolerances and the effect of the tolerance stack of the adaptor which the nikon was mounted on. I would have explained it simply as the two lens being focused at different places.

His interpreting the difference in the local slope of the histagram curve as being a different micro contrast, for two similar shots handheld with different areas of view and people which moved also seems like nonsense.

The DX Crop on the RD1 is also questionable. Making the middle of a 50 sharp seems like something nearly all manufacturer can do. The improvements being made in the Leica ASPH lens series seens to be a drive to push that quality out as far to the edges as possible.

That millenium Nikor looks like a tasty lens. Same you cant get it in native M mount.

I read the Imagere article. Thought it was pretty weak. Since it gets quoted a lot... <snip>

Its bound to get quoted a lot because its the only article on the Millennium on the net. Its not perfect, and you make valid rebuttal points, but that article is all we've got. If anyone else posts a similar article I'll be one of the first to read it :angel:

According to this article, the Millennium is sharper than the Summilux 50/1.4 ASPH at infinity... something not quite right with your adapter maybe, Roland?

Don't think so, Jon. I'm sure the Nikkor Millenium is much better in the corners compared to pre-asph 'lux. But I have a really good Summilux sample :) And if you check the pictures in the article (center crops), I fail to see that the Nikkor is better than asph 'lux in the center.

Don't think so, Jon. I'm sure the Nikkor Millenium is much better in the corners compared to pre-asph 'lux. But I have a really good Summilux sample :) And if you check the pictures in the article (center crops), I fail to see that the Nikkor is better than asph 'lux in the center.

Oh, ok... got it. I didn't realise you were specifically talking about centre resolution (despite you writing it in brackets). And sample variation is for sure a factor...

This is an example of what I like about this lens, when shot at larger apertures and with a near subject, the subject is razor sharp and the background is creamy, it gives a very dimensional image to my eye.
This particular one I would have preferred higher contrast , but it's a good example.

Taken on Kodak T-Max 100 film

attachment.php

Here are two more samples from the same roll (T-Max 100).

Attachments

• R1-22.jpg
    R1-22.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 5
  • R1-13.jpg
    R1-13.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 5
Back