More on the Pentax film camera project

…but when I first shot with large format film (6×7), I was impressed by what I could not see at all with a 135 format (a type of film). I thought to myself, “these streaks of lights can be captured so beautifully?” and experienced the sensation of being able to see things that weren’t visible to the naked eye...

What? What became visible using 6x7 that isn’t visible to the eye? At first it seems like he is describing a lens artifact.

I think it means not retained by the naked eye, ie fleeting moment captured in detail forever. On 6x7 this might also be better gradation compared to 35mm.

It will be interesting to see how this project progresses.

It seems that as of late 2023, the Pentax film camera prototype has been completed, and if the team are satisfied with the results, they hope to make the camera available to the public as soon as possible!

PENTAXのフィルムカメラの試作機が完成
I'm not sure about the last part... Back in October 2023 Pentax officially said:

I'm not sure about the last part... Back in October 2023 Pentax officially said:

The article I linked to was based on a Barfout (who comes up with these names?) interview done on the 19th of December, 2023. According to Takeo Suzuki, Product Planning & Designer at Pentax:
"If the prototype at the study stage goes well, we would like to get it on sale as soon as possible."
Although no images of the prototype are shown, it's described as being slender, lightweight, and stylish.

Well, I guess ... but of course the team who made it hopes it goes to market (as do I). However, that official link I posted was strange. They sort of backtracked and that scares me. Maybe they just said too big of a number... maybe they will test the waters with one camera. The camera loving world needs a new film camera between the toys and the Leica Ms currently available.

I am sure that Ricoh have done their research, but this doesn’t sound like something I want. Half frame in particular.

They have to come up with something you can't find an infinite number of on the used the market for 5% of the cost of manufacturing a new one. I think the team have been pragmatic, and if the price is right, I'd be happy to take one home.

Half frame is probably a good choice considering the target market and film costs.
Precisely this.

A friend of mine from Germany came to visit last week - she's a 30-something academic working in architecture. We were sat in Hyde Park, and she said "don't laugh" before pulling out a Canon Demi.

Half frame makes a lot of sense for certain audiences, just as it did back in the day. Would I want one? No. But I'm not that target audience - and neither, I imagine, are most of the other cranky old men on here. 😅

Here's the thing about half-frame: Yes, film is more expensive these days, but so is developing! And twice the number of exposures to develop and scan will dwarf any higher cost of a roll of film. And just based on what I see on the shelves these days, you can't get a roll of 24 -- it's all 36 exposures.

I don’t know, I’m getting old and cranky and am refurbing a Canon Demi EE17 half frame as we speak. 😀

The Canon has a 6/4 lens, f/1.7. Looks like the Pentax will be a triplet, and probably not too fast (2.8?) Should be plenty good enough.

I have an Olympus Pen half-frame camera and a few lenses for it. I bought it squarely in the middle of my film years, because when my daughter was born, a friend took one of my favorite pictures of her with one and it sort of proved the concept for me. But then I didn't use it as much as I thought I might, and the 72 exposures per meant that rolls of film sat in it sometimes for years at a time while I worked with my F4s and M6.

I recently had a look at the cost of a hundred feet of Tri-X and I do agree that at the current prices, I could see the appeal -- conceptually -- of a half-frame system. Yikes. Current film prices are not unexpected after all, but also a disincentive. Interestingly, there used to be a significant cost savings to "roll your own," but that seems to have evaporated. Still have all my old cassettes, though . . . but that's another conversation.

As I have commented elsewhere, I think this product is something that I will be glad is out there in the abstract -- always happy when companies are innovating photographically -- but which I won't feel compelled to purchase myself. If I want to shoot half-frame I could. . . wait for it. . . use the camera that is currently sitting on the shelf. But maybe Pentax will surprise us and make the thing with a m4/3 lensmount and then I may lose all self-restraint and commonsense in the face of a nice chrome finish. It has happened before.

I look forward to seeing what they produce. I sorta doubt I'm buying anything for the foreseeable future, I have too many cameras that are all in perfect order which aren't getting enough use already, but it's good for the industry if new cameras are made ... and sold!

Regards half vs full frame ... eh? Quality of modern emulsions is such that a nice size print is not an issue, double the number of frames for the same film cost is nice. My biggest concern is that with mostly only 36 exposure rolls being sold, it takes some time for most people to shoot an entire roll, which slows down the learning process. 10-20 exposures is a nice hour's walk, and seeing the results immediately helps the next walk's shoot immensely ... If you're waiting four to five walks to complete a roll and then another day or two to see the results of your efforts, it's hard to get that knowledge transfer and incorporation.

But this is a secondary problem and there are workarounds.

G

Pretty sure it will be a fixed lens. :)

I have a Pen FT which is a fun little camera, just with one lens. If rolling your own, you can do smaller rolls although that tends to waste a few frames with the leader.

It's been years since I rolled my own. It's a solution...
I somehow doubt that most of the Nuevo Film generation is interested in doing that. Most film camera users never did in the past.

G

Back