Motivation, where have you gone?

pesphoto

Mentor
Local time
4:52 AM
How do you get it back when it's gone. Lately I just dont have any and can't seem to snap out of it. Am i just whining or do you get the same thing sometimes? How do you snap out of it? Looking at others photos, websites. etc? Anyone know good website to visit for cool pics? I bring my camera with me everyday, but no film has passed thru for a while. Bills, saving money, work, etc, crappy tv, blech!

If you've got some free time and a few $$ why not take a trip somewhere that you've never been to before? You will probably shoot till the lens falls off looking at something new! :D

Alternatively, Spring is actually upon us here in the Northeast US - steal a few hours and head to the nearest botanical garden - camera in hand, film in camera etc. etc. :cool:

I've been in a slump for about six months now... Nothing really original, no desire to shoot. And I've just figured out how I'm gonna get out of it!

I teamed up with a friend and we sat down with a notebook over a coffee and made a small list of some long-term ongoing themes to shoot. Also some vague speculation about combining our efforts to get enough work together to do a gallery exhibition and/or book.

Then order lots of film.
Take camera.
Shoot.

It's not as easy as I just made it sound ;) But I guess the big tip from me is that you're the only one who can go out and shoot, but sometimes it's helpful to have someone who understands photography to bounce ideas off over a cup of coffee (or tea or chocolate or scotch...)

Good luck!

You're only as good as your last photo and often you just have to wait until you take a great shot and the enthusiasm comes flooding back. Try to gat yourself into a situation where some good shots will present themselves (hopefully not a war)

If you don't feel like photography, why not just stop taking photographs for a bit?

No need for the pressure... If you miss it, you'll be back soon enough with more enthusiasm than ever before. And if you don't miss it, it doesn't really matter anymore, does it?

I think simonankor has a good idea - I recently met up with Tom_F in York and we went to the Minster so that we could try out each other's lens - his CV 35mm Nokton, and my Canon 50mm f1.4.

Having a friend helps a lot, as you can share new experiences - I'm going to be moving from York soon, just as i find a local buddy (!).

Alternatively, change your equipment radically - I found a spell with a Holga woke up my thirst for taking pictures again.

Just walk away, don't force it. Do something different.
Instead of looking at photographs, study some other art forms and artists not related to photography.
May I suggest Jasper Johns or Roy Lichtenstein.

Oh, and take a notebook everywhere!

You'd be surprised how helpful it can be to scribble down an idea even if you don't have time/can't/shouldn't actually take a photo... it can lead to inspiration down the road.

All great ideas! Thanks, I like the idea of doing something totally different, than my normal straight black and white work. I agree that looing at others types of artists and artwork, music, etc can help as well. I know Im not going to walk away from photography. Its in the blood, ya know what I mean? It depresses me that Im not shooting, but cant seem to get it going!
hmm...maybe I could try some polaroid color film for a change of pace...what else...

Ha... I've recently come out of a 4-year photographic motivation drought. Now I have enough projects/ideas to last for about 10 years, but not enough time to really do any of these projects well.

The first year of the "drought" led me to doing only the necessary photographic chores. And that's just what it felt like... a chore. I shot for $ and necessity but derived little pleasure from it. My work was okay quality, but had no creativity to it. Nothing seemed to help -- books, magazines, web sites. I enjoyed looking at images, but really didn't feel the urge to make any. Buying new equipment wasn't of interest either. Why... I wouldn't have much fun with it anyway.

So I diverted to other creative interests. I researched and wrote journal articles. For most readers this was some pretty boring stuff... but for a few "enlgihtened folks" it was of interest.

Then one day the photographic urge came back... like gang-busters. Who knows why, but I didn't bother asking. I found that my interests had changed a bit and I needed a bit more equipment to support these new interests. So I bought what I needed and am now "burdened" with too many good photographic ideas and not enough time. Sometimes it's feast or famine. I found that getting through the famine is easier by diverting so something else and not dwelling on "the problem".

TAke a photo course at the local community college. See if they offer a figure photography course. That should get you out of your doldrums.

pesphoto said:
.....hmm...maybe I could try some polaroid color film for a change of pace...what else...

Even better, get some Kodachrome 64! :cool:

How about a one day seminar on a style that you don't normally shoot - you'll being doing something different and meet up with other photogs. Only downside is the cost. I've always found these good for motivation. Alternatively a further Ed course in an aspect you are not already an expert in - probably lower cost.

FrankS said:
TAke a photo course at the local community college. See if they offer a figure photography course. That should get you out of your doldrums.

Yup, that class could work...hehe...

-I too take photos for a living, though usually not very creative commercial product stuff. I think thats part of it also. By the time my day is done Im just kinda numb you know?

I sympathize! It would be difficult to keep your photo passion alive if you are forced to do boring photo work as a daily job. Is there any way you can deliver the standrd results called for, but then also add some extra shots containing creative sizzle in your daily work?

You might try not taking your camera with you for a while. If you start to see shots you want and can't get, it might stir the juices.

FrankS said:
... but then also add some extra shots containing creative sizzle in your daily work?

Ha... good idea, but some folks don't recognize "sizzle" even if they burn their fingers on it!

Frank, you are right. And I try to do that once in a while. And Im even called upon once in a while to "step it up" and create something different, and that does help. But you know what?
Im just not so passionate about it as I used to be. I'd rather be out wandering with my camera than being art directed to death every day.

Back