Motivation, where have you gone?

It usually works for those who decide to substitute the accumulation of things with the accumulation of experiences. I hope this helps. Cheers, OtL

Oh, you mean take those cameras off the shelf and outside to point them at things and click the shutter buttons? There's a radical idea. ;o)

Some of us are content to post only comments. Sad but indicative of the underlying talent: none.

One thing I did about five years ago was make photos along the theme of “too common” or “everyday scenes”: I deliberately sought the most common things I saw every day and made a photo. The grocery store. Our neighborhood mailbox. A car. Where I worked. Five years later, it’s amazing how things have changed.

Guys, be cool, stay calm, we're all friends here aren't we? :cool:

Absolutely, Doug, we're all the best of friends here! Hugs and kisses, hand shakes and whatever else friends do!

Regrettably, I haven't always been a good friend to some of the other RFF members, but I hope to do better in the future!

I'll drink to that,
Mike

One thing I did about five years ago was make photos along the theme of “too common” or “everyday scenes”: I deliberately sought the most common things I saw every day and made a photo. The grocery store. Our neighborhood mailbox. A car. Where I worked. Five years later, it’s amazing how things have changed.
I've been doing this same thing lately. I just pick a common downtown scene while I am walking and try different compositions with it or try to include different things with that scene in the background. I don't know if it is helping at all but it is using film. :D

Oh, you mean take those cameras off the shelf and outside to point them at things and click the shutter buttons? There's a radical idea. ;o)

Some of us are content to post only comments. Sad but indicative of the underlying talent: none.
Here's a photo for you. RF to boot, (50 mm/f2.8) Barnack on Steroids with M2 thrown in a little bit. Note. I used FujiColor 400, and a Luna-Pro. Chattanooga, TN (from my wheelchair). Canon L1. I use this Canon and it goes places. Severe muscle spasms, standard equipment, no upcharge! Muscle control harnessed at "The Decisive Moment"

Attachments

• 000024410016.jpg
    000024410016.jpg
    445.2 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
When I was "younger" I experienced extended periods of photographic inactivity, sometimes extending for months--maybe what most posters have described in this thread. Most of the images I made then were spur of the moment, technically well executed but lacking any unifying theme or purpose. I traveled for my work, and that provided a rich source of images. I lived in urban areas, which also provided lots of opportunities for "street shooting," etc.

Several years ago, I retired from my "real job" in order to spend more time studying this thing called photography and maybe making "better" photographs.

Since then I have had very few periods when I didn't make photographs on a weekly basis. One thing that changed is I no longer make photographs "of things, places, etc." I make photographs "about things, places, ideas, emotions, ...." Thus, these can be concrete, such as historic structures, or more abstract, such as the state of public spaces in both urban and rural areas.

Presently, I have several of these "themes" or "topics" that I refine and maintain in notebooks. From these notebooks, I devise shooting scripts, plans: where can I find settings, etc. that provide visual evidence in my continuing investigations. I pair these images with additional notes about concepts for books and exhibition prints ..., i.e., materials and places to show these images.

This is all a work in progress, but so is life.

Anybody remember the old ‘70s Schlitz beer commercials? “Go for the gusto” “You Only Go Around Once in Life”.

That’s my motivation. Get up and go. Make every moment of your life worth living.

All the best,
Mike

It usually works for those who decide to substitute the accumulation of things with the accumulation of experiences. I hope this helps. Cheers, OtL
Since the last year I am doing this, swapping gear or the habit of its accumulation for experiences aka new activities, mountain hiking in my case, it is an eye-opener.

re: Stephen Shore
Pal: years ago was make photos along the theme of “too common” ... I deliberately sought the most common things I saw every day and made a photo. The grocery store. Our neighborhood mailbox.
That may explain why I like his work.

That may (partially) explain why I do not.
OTOH, he was a pioneer at photographing his meals ... and this was BEFORE iPhones.
:)

Last edited:
re: Stephen Shore
Pal: years ago was make photos along the theme of “too common” ... I deliberately sought the most common things I saw every day and made a photo. The grocery store. Our neighborhood mailbox.
That may explain why I like his work.

That may (partially) explain why I do not.
OTOH, he was a pioneer at photographing his meals ... and this was BEFORE iPhones.
:)
Thinking about it, the photos I make of common everyday things are so subjective that they may likely have value to me only and nobody else. Even then, they may have value only after a significant time has elapsed.

That Stephen Shore could make such photos that had appeal to many people is a testament to his talent. Though I do understand there are people who might find such photos uninteresting.

I have lost my mojo as well. However, something which I make an effort to photo is the progress of updating my parents/family home. Slow going, as only here every third weekend or so. Photographing indoor rooms suits my new to me lens, a Zeiss zm 15mm f2.8. So at least I am using that lens.

I didn't actually lose my motivation but similarly, have shot so much in the area that I was quite frustrated about what to shoot and how. Then I discovered Holga, Sprocket Rocket, and Lomo Fisheye II. I have had so much fun in the last year or so with these plastic beauties. I still keep a Barnack in the bag just in case and find I use it often too.

Turquoise Film also made this first one more fun - Holga 120
Holga Lomo Turquoise - Locomotive 1 by Neal Wellons, on Flickr

Lomo Fisheye II
Sun Rays at the Esco Mill - B&W by Neal Wellons, on Flickr

Lomo Sprocket Rocket
Sprocket Rocket Shows Off by Neal Wellons, on Flickr

Back