Motivation, where have you gone?

drmatthes said:
"- Then, if you don't wish to stop the work that you love, make the things that distract you a subject or at least a part of your work.

Very interesting suggestion...

When I am lacking inspiration, I usually try a different camera, like TLR, holga or Polaroid, or not photographing at all. I do some drawing, painting or other artsy things ;) Looking at good photo books is a great way for new inspiration. Makes me realize that there is a lot shots still left to shoot, so to say.

Hope you'll be back and kicking soon, you have wonderful photos on your website!

Thanks Lubitel. Im posting photos, but mostly older stuff. This thread has helped, maybe this weekend I'll force myself out with camera and see if something clicks-so to speak.

Hi i am new here i have a question how to stay motivate all the time

Ask yourself what it is that you're passionate about, what is most significant in your life. What are you involved in in your community? What about family, spouse/partner, pets? Do you enjoy the natural world, or is the urban experience more to your liking? Explore any of these, or anything else that has meaning to you. Don't worry about making "good" photos. Those will come eventually!
What is so ironic is that most of us have immediate access to some aspect of the world that is essentially closed to most other photographers. Think about what community you may be a member of, how that might be documented by an insider for the enlightenment of non-members, or because you feel it has value in its own right. What does your particular corner of the world look like, and could you document it in a way that would interest someone on the other side of the planet? Dive in and keep working!

Hi i am new here i have a question how to stay motivate all the time

People who feed themselves with their camera are out there every day, click, click, click. 100 shots a day, minimum. As a hobbyist it is different but there is still the discipline. The pictures won't take themselves. My best advice is to expect one winner out of one hundred. Higher than that is getting really good. I had a pro friend who said he thought he should get 36 out of 36 on a roll. He came to believe that 1 out of 36 was damned good. And it takes practice. Just keep doing it and you will get better. Guaranteed.

1. Switch formats. Shoot MF for awhile instead of 35mm. Or Minox. Or LF.
​​​​​​….
6. Document your home town. Nothing fancy, just pictures of streets, buildings (even gas stations and groceries), street lights, landmarks. In 10-15 years it's astonishing how interesting these shots become when things have changed.

Gene

Both are excellent suggestions. Switching to half-frame totally surprised me.

When I was a kid, I photographed everything I saw in my home town and without judgement. I guess I wanted to see what everything looked like when photographed (127-format B&W). The surprise is that decades and thousands of miles later, these once-common everyday sights that I now have as simple 4x6 prints have become precious and delightful to see.

A few years ago while not far from home I was at an intersection one evening and in the twilight I happened to notice the silhouette of a large walnut tree in a big empty field. I’d probably passed it uncountable times before, but now in that light it attracted me. Over the years now I’ve photographed this one tree in all seasons, from all angles, and with various cameras and lenses. Although that tree is likely older than I am, it worries me that it’s in a big field that is ripe for commercial development. Perhaps some day it will be gone or perhaps they’ll build around it - but I have photos of it at least.

Both are excellent suggestions. Switching to half-frame totally surprised me.

When I was a kid, I photographed everything I saw in my home town and without judgement. I guess I wanted to see what everything looked like when photographed (127-format B&W). The surprise is that decades and thousands of miles later, these once-common everyday sights that I now have as simple 4x6 prints have become precious and delightful to see.

A few years ago while not far from home I was at an intersection one evening and in the twilight I happened to notice the silhouette of a large walnut tree in a big empty field. I’d probably passed it uncountable times before, but now in that light it attracted me. Over the years now I’ve photographed this one tree in all seasons, from all angles, and with various cameras and lenses. Although that tree is likely older than I am, it worries me that it’s in a big field that is ripe for commercial development. Perhaps some day it will be gone or perhaps they’ll build around it - but I have photos of it at least.

I have all my old slides, going back to the Vito II and Kodachrome in '54. I should dig them out and look at them. An audience of one is better than an audience of none.

I have all my old slides, going back to the Vito II and Kodachrome in '54. I should dig them out and look at them. An audience of one is better than an audience of none.

Definitely. Maybe sometimes when photographers are in a funk and don’t know what to do next, the thing to do s review what you’ve got. I’ve got box after box of photos, albums, gigabytes of photos on disk, but what I think I should do is make a few photo books with one of those online services.

Some great suggestions here.

Going to the library or bookstore and looking at great photobooks or art books might inspire you.

Also, I found museum exhibitions very inspiring.

Definitely. Maybe sometimes when photographers are in a funk and don’t know what to do next, the thing to do s review what you’ve got. I’ve got box after box of photos, albums, gigabytes of photos on disk, but what I think I should do is make a few photo books with one of those online services.

Well, once would have been enough. Three times really drives the point home. LOL The "box" is a 2 or 2.5' cube. That's a lot of slides. Lots from my Army days in France and of France in general. And of life since then, Montreal with the original Leica CL, up until Mexico in the early 2000's. Is it OK if I do not look at them three times. ;o)

I need a focused reason to shoot nowadays ... Just walking around photos rarely amount to much, and I consequently take very few of them. I have film loaded in a Retina IIc, an M4-2, and a Minox B ... and in two and a half months, I've only managed to expose 24 frames of the potential 108. The Polaroid SLR670a has had 3 frames left out of 8 on the current pack for three weeks. Sigh.

My 10-day trip to the East netted about 300 exposures with the Light L16 ... about 20 of which posted now ... and All Italian Day netted 26 still shots and 3 videos out of a total of 40 exposures. So the digital capture side of my game is doing a bit better than the film side.

I remember the days when I'd run out of a 20 pack of 135-36 film in a week or less. Seems a different eternity from the one we're in now.

G

<snip)

I remember the days when I'd run out of a 20 pack of 135-36 film in a week or less. Seems a different eternity from the one we're in now.

G

A lot of things change over the years. I'd like to think we are now focusing on quality rather than quantity.

My two cents: if and when you decide to retire in a high-tech environment where 'everything' is at your fingertips it Implies a high degree of sedation, predictability, and boredom. If and when you retire in a less secure environment, the photo opportunities are limitless. Your choice. Cheers, OtL

My two cents: if and when you decide to retire in a high-tech environment where 'everything' is at your fingertips it Implies a high degree of sedation, predictability, and boredom. If and when you retire in a less secure environment, the photo opportunities are limitless. Your choice. Cheers, OtL

I have absolutely no idea what this is supposed to mean.

G

It usually works for those who decide to substitute the accumulation of things with the accumulation of experiences. I hope this helps. Cheers, OtL

Back