Movie Cameras Abandoned in the Yukon in 1937 Discovered

I collect 8mm movie cameras. I have a box full of reels of film removed from cameras, some will be exposed, some not. There was a time when I thought to try and get them processed but that time has long passed. They can remain a mystery to be solved one day by someone else...

I collect 8mm movie cameras. I have a box full of reels of film removed from cameras, some will be exposed, some not. There was a time when I thought to try and get them processed but that time has long passed. They can remain a mystery to be solved one day by someone else...

Or perhaps not. With enough time, those images will fade away forever in the Great Dance of Entropy. As will we.

But will they last longer than a hard drive?

I have over 400’ of processed Kodachrome II ciné film (called “Regular 8mm” or “Double 8mm”)* that I made as a pre-teen kid in 1964 - from what I can tell, they look as good as they did back then. I keep them on reels in the dark, room temperature, but edited-out splices I keep in a box and they look good, too. So that’s 58 years.

* This is ordinary double sprocket 16mm film which goes through the camera twice, where each run exposes just half the width of the film (run it through once, flip it over, run it through again). After Kodak processed the film, they’d slice it lengthwise and join the two pieces into a single 8mm wide length of film.

I have over 400’ of processed Kodachrome II ciné film (called “Regular 8mm” or “Double 8mm”)* that I made as a pre-teen kid in 1964 - from what I can tell, they look as good as they did back then. I keep them on reels in the dark, room temperature, but edited-out splices I keep in a box and they look good, too. So that’s 58 years.

* This is ordinary double sprocket 16mm film which goes through the camera twice, where each run exposes just half the width of the film (run it through once, flip it over, run it through again). After Kodak processed the film, they’d slice it lengthwise and join the two pieces into a single 8mm wide length of film.

Anybody out there have a 58-year-old hard drive?

I have a 30 year old hard drive, a SCSI 49MB one which worked the last time I tried it - but that is some years back when I ran my Amiga 2000 computer the most recent time. EDIT: I booted it up now and it still works... :)
But 50 year old ones must be a lot fewer around as there were a lot fewer computers at that time.

I inherited my Dad's old 16mm home movies - some, going on 70+ years - (color/Kodachrome and B&W) - shot on a Revere Model 16 and projected through a Keystone. All are still in great shape and I still have all the working equipment, projector screen, spare bulbs etc. I also have his old Kodak No. 3 Folding Hawk-Eye Model 9 (used 118 film - c. early 1900's).

He did semi-pro work in the Boston area in his younger days - 1930-'s-40's (portraits/weddings) and I have a lot of his pro and non-pro work (B&W prints he developed and printed) with some wonderful period shots. I also have a lot of his old equipment and accessories from that period. He later started a career as a woodworker/cabinet maker and started a family. Some day, I will scan his work and display.

... Dad, Sal, Revere Beach late 40's-early 50's.jpg - Dad, Sal, Revere Beach late 40's-early 50's.jpg

Back