My Instax adventures

Lynn, I like very #391 and #386, thenlight the colours andf the human element.

About light it is surprising how the Instax pictures looks interesting with different light situatioin, like # 391, # 101 or #370.

Of c ourse you know how to operate your cameras!

Picture #387 with the Instax SQ6. Manly beach, late afternoon with the usual hungry seagulls, January 2023. I didn't keep an eye on the horizon when I bent down to grab this shot.

52659981996_73d7530872_b.jpg

Manly beach, Sydney, summer 2023 #387 by lynnb's snaps, on Flickr
It’s a good photo - I don’t think the horizon angle is the slightest bit important because your photo shows exactly what it looks like to be crouching down close to these birds.

I didn’t even notice the tilt until I read the description. I also like the people in the background.

In real life our brain tells us to ignore the angle because it knows we’re tilting our body and head.

Had your photo been just of the beach and horizon, then a tilt would look odd.

Many thanks Robert and Pál_K for your thoughts!

Picture #385 with the Instax SQ6. Dee Why beach, summer 2023.
I rarely edit out things in photos, but in this picture there was a large and visually intrusive rectilinear shadow on the lower left hand side on the sand, and my shadow in the lower right corner. I removed both in CS6. No other changes.

52663788926_807a3378e4_b.jpg

Dee Why beach, Sydney, summer 2023 #385 by lynnb's snaps, on Flickr

These exposures are so good, Lynn. You’ve mastered exposure with these cameras and film.

Was there a posting or maybe a different thread where you mentioned exposure compensation - such as tending to select “darken”?

After not making photos with my SQ6 for a while, I realized most of my photos with blue sky should be made with “darken“ selected.

I drove to a spot to make one photo, made it quickly and left. I did not select any compensation because I thought the meter would read the bright sky, expose for that, and darken the foreground. On getting home, I saw that the sky was way too light and the foreground exposed correctly - but brighter than I wanted. So, if I didn’t know better, it was like the camera had a spot meter (I was aiming at a small dark tree about 30 meters away).

So, now I have to wait for clear weather to return before making another shot.

Lynn when I see your instax pictures I enjoy a lot. Your instax adventures makes me think on "Joaquin Sorolla"s paints... the picture he made in the seashore...

These exposures are so good, Lynn. You’ve mastered exposure with these cameras and film.

Was there a posting or maybe a different thread where you mentioned exposure compensation - such as tending to select “darken”?

After not making photos with my SQ6 for a while, I realized most of my photos with blue sky should be made with “darken“ selected.

I drove to a spot to make one photo, made it quickly and left. I did not select any compensation because I thought the meter would read the bright sky, expose for that, and darken the foreground. On getting home, I saw that the sky was way too light and the foreground exposed correctly - but brighter than I wanted. So, if I didn’t know better, it was like the camera had a spot meter (I was aiming at a small dark tree about 30 meters away).

So, now I have to wait for clear weather to return before making another shot.
Thanks... at the beach I usually overexpose by 2/3 stop with the Instax SQ6 to get the look I like. With the Instax Mini 9 I cannot avoid overexposure as the minimum exposure is 1/60 f/32 with ISO800 Instax film (which I believe is around 1.5-2 stops overexposure in sunny 16 conditions). "Normal" or "Darken" gives greyscale exposure for the sand but this is not how my eye sees it, it's very bright... although Normal or Darken give beautiful blues in the sky.

Lynn when I see your instax pictures I enjoy a lot. Your instax adventures makes me think on "Joaquin Sorolla"s paints... the picture he made in the seashore...
Thanks Xabier! I will look up Joaquin Sorolla. I'm sorry I haven't been in contact lately, family circumstances have been difficult. Warmest regards to you and your family!

There is life on the beach! Of course, you have summer!
Love this photo, much to see. The girl speaking on the phone is a plus, adds a rhythm to the image (my opinion of course). Nice to see you posting again.

I really like how Lynn has exposed the skin tones properly and let the rest of the image fall where it may.

lynnb, I always love looking at your Instax photos. You have a wonderful eye and seem to be banging the Instax in just the right ways! These beach scenes really convey the feel of a warm summery day at the beach with friends and people enjoying themselves ... Much needed here in the doldrums of yet-another-grey-and-chilly-Winter-day. Thank you!

G

Thanks... at the beach I usually overexpose by 2/3 stop with the Instax SQ6 to get the look I like.…
… "Normal" or "Darken" gives greyscale exposure for the sand but this is not how my eye sees it, it's very bright... although Normal or Darken give beautiful blues in the sky.
Right. I always interpret the meter as choosing the exposure that will give middle gray. If most of the scene is bright sand, then your choice to overexpose is obviously the correct way to ensure the sand comes out bright.

My problem was that I was photographing a field with a bright sky and I thought the meter would read the sky, expose for that, and darken the field. Instead, the opposite happened I think: the SQ6 gave me a reading for the field and overexposed the sky. I need to remember that.

Thank you Robert, KoNickon, JoeV and Godfrey! I'm glad they bring you pleasure...

It's end of summer here, officially it's Autumn but the weather is still hot and the beaches are packed. I was out for a coffee break with my wife when we saw a Surf Life Saving carnival (competition) at Dee Why beach right opposite the cafe. The overcast sky was an unusual colour:

Picture #408 with the Instax SQ6. Dee Why beach, Sydney, March 2023. Unsharp masking in CS6 100% at 1.5 pixel radius.

52756213531_49b4234792_o.jpg

by lynnb's snaps, on Flickr

Aside from the excellence of the images and the way you've created your "look", I really like the way you display the photos themselves on the white background. It retains the kind of snapshot quality of the Instax film that makes it so appealing.

Aside from the excellence of the images and the way you've created your "look", I really like the way you display the photos themselves on the white background. It retains the kind of snapshot quality of the Instax film that makes it so appealing.
thanks! The white background is the underside of the scanner lid. I like that snapshot quality too.

These are wonderful. I love the square format and might get one for my next trip.
Thanks, glad you like them! You've got a choice between Polaroid (bigger image size but significantly more expensive film), Instax Square and Polaroid Mini square. I think you'd have fun with which ever you choose.

A beauty! You’ve captured everything so well there and it seems the SQ6 is just perfect for the colors, composition, and the Impressionist-like quality of the background.

A wonderfully preserved moment!

Back