My Instax adventures

Thanks for doing this, Lynn, it’s instructive.
If I am reading you right, the high key beach scenes were taken at the aperture recommended by the Mini 9, but are high key only because that actual aperture isn’t small enough for a beach scene?
They are not high key because you used the “high key” setting on the lens, or were otherwise specifically attempting to create a high key result by overriding the recommended setting and using a wider aperture? I guess that’s what I am asking. (Bought a Mini 9 last week after seeing some of your impressionistic results, but don’t have any film here yet.)
Niche camera for sure, but I really like some of what you have done with it. Hard to explain why this seems so totally different from lo-fi Instagram filters, but it does. Never thought I would buy one of these. :)
Guilty pleasure.

Lynn, you're getting wonderful results from your Instaxes. I think the way you scan and enlarge them for us is also very skilled, presenting them at their best. Thanks for inspiring me to give mine a go.

Thanks for doing this, Lynn, it’s instructive.
If I am reading you right, the high key beach scenes were taken at the aperture recommended by the Mini 9, but are high key only because that actual aperture isn’t small enough for a beach scene?
They are not high key because you used the “high key” setting on the lens, or were otherwise specifically attempting to create a high key result by overriding the recommended setting and using a wider aperture? I guess that’s what I am asking. (Bought a Mini 9 last week after seeing some of your impressionistic results, but don’t have any film here yet.)
Niche camera for sure, but I really like some of what you have done with it. Hard to explain why this seems so totally different from lo-fi Instagram filters, but it does. Never thought I would buy one of these. :)
Guilty pleasure.

That's exactly right Larry. The Mini 9 doesn't stop down enough to give correct exposure in very bright light. I could solve this by holding an ND filter in front of the lens when in conditions too bright for the camera's EV range.

Lynn, you're getting wonderful results from your Instaxes. I think the way you scan and enlarge them for us is also very skilled, presenting them at their best. Thanks for inspiring me to give mine a go.

Thanks Pete! Play with it!

Picture #39. Another picture taken with a dark orange 49mm filter held in front of the lens. This time no dodging of the ocean in Photoshop.

U27021I1581203898.SEQ.0.jpg

A few more early pictures at the beach. All exposures at the camera's limit of 1/60 and f/32.

Picture #15. Manly beach

U27021I1580821445.SEQ.0.jpg

Picture #18. Freshwater beach

U27021I1580821446.SEQ.1.jpg

Picture #20. Manly beach

U27021I1580821447.SEQ.2.jpg

That's exactly right Larry. The Mini 9 doesn't stop down enough to give correct exposure in very bright light. I could solve this by holding an ND filter in front of the lens when in conditions too bright for the camera's EV range.

I'm guessing Instax film's 800 ISO doesn't help shooting in full sun, but you seem to be using that to your advantage with high key. :cool:

I'm guessing Instax film's 800 ISO doesn't help shooting in full sun, but you seem to be using that to your advantage with high key. :cool:
Thanks, yes. More by accident than design :)

Picture #41. Instax Monochrome ISO800 + orange filter. 1/60 @f/12.7 (wide open)

I didn't think pictures with the first pack of Monochrome film were up to the same standard as the colour pictures, which convert well to black and white in LR/CS6. I've bought another pack of Monochrome to see if I can do better.

U27021I1581197019.SEQ.1.jpg

Picture #57. I wanted to see how the film handles strong overexposure, i.e. the highlight roll off. 1/60 @f/32 into the light.

U27021I1583243882.SEQ.0.jpg

Pictures #51, #54 and #55. This is Cabbage Tree Bay with the historic Fairy Bower Rock Pool, celebrating its centenary this year. I love the Fuji colors. I've warmed up the colors of #55 (vertical picture) in post - I think it better suits the summer mood. These were taken in late February a few weeks after buying the camera.

I've posted #55 at higher resolution so you can see how these scans enlarge. I think it would be possible to get a bit more detail in this by further judicious unsharp masking.

U27021I1583243885.SEQ.3.jpg

U27021I1583243884.SEQ.2.jpg

U27021I1583243882.SEQ.1.jpg

Picture #24. Cabbage Tree Bay on a different day, looking towards Shelly beach. Cabbage Tree Bay is half way between Shelly beach and Manly beach. It's a marine reserve popular with snorkelers and scuba divers, but it's also popular to swim laps between the two beaches. It gets pretty crowded out there at times. This was midweek when it was quiet.

U27021I1583369941.SEQ.1.jpg

I have the Instax Mini and Wide but mostly use them indoors. I am very much enjoying these outdoor shots! Numbers 8 and 18 are my favorites.

What may well be lost on non-photographers (and maybe some photographers too) is just how difficult it is to make beautiful photos with this camera. I've had the privilege of seeing the photos progress and in my opinion Lynn has clearly discovered the capabilities of the camera and uses it with aplomb! Really lovely work. I look forward to seeing more of it.

What may well be lost on non-photographers (and maybe some photographers too) is just how difficult it is to make beautiful photos with this camera. I've had the privilege of seeing the photos progress and in my opinion Lynn has clearly discovered the capabilities of the camera and uses it with aplomb! Really lovely work. I look forward to seeing more of it.

I agree - it's a joy to observe. Whereas my outings with a Polaroid have been little short of humiliating!

I have the Instax Mini and Wide but mostly use them indoors. I am very much enjoying these outdoor shots! Numbers 8 and 18 are my favorites.
Thanks! I always enjoy your beach pictures in Vietnam. It would be good to see your interpretation of these scenes with your Instax cameras.

I agree - it's a joy to observe. Whereas my outings with a Polaroid have been little short of humiliating!
Thanks LC and Charles for your kind remarks!

I enjoy this thread a lot. Very experimental.
Thanks Henry. It's fun to play with this medium. Glad I'm spreading the enjoyment around :)

Pictures #65 and #66. My first excursion with the Instax Mini in fading light, taken on a sunset walk at Long Reef beach. Wide open at f/12.7 - I think the light and the colors are special...
As you can see the Instax Mini vignettes wide open.

U27021I1583674722.SEQ.1.jpg

U27021I1583674723.SEQ.2.jpg

The two dots in the air are birds...

Excellent collection of pictures, love gth epastel colours and the drama in the monochromes. Lynn for sure your skill as photographer helps you in getting so special results with these cameras. Bravo!
You should really think how to develop this body of work, maybe a small book or a portfolio...

Lynn,

I was meaning to write last night (sharing it btw with my son who really enjoyed seeing these images) and was pulled away before I hit "reply"
All good because Robert Blu said it all ^^^

Congratulations on this connection you've developed with your Instax. It is so fun to see what can happen with a piece of gear like this when in the hands of someone with experience and vision!

David

They're certainly that Jim. Later on I bought an Instax Wide 300 and an Instax SQ6 to get a larger image, but I still like many of the Instax mini pictures. I'll post some Wide and Square images later. They're certainly not Polaroid 250 or SX70 but neither is the cost per print - about 1/3 the cost of Polaroid/Impossible. And the Fuji colors are very nice.

I too, have a Instax SQ6 and this thread has inspired me to pull it out and use it. In fact, I just bought a few packs of color film for it. My somewhat negative tone was mainly against Fuji, which seems to view Instax as only for amateurs. Their film really is quite good and is much cheaper than Polaroid. If only they made a good camera to take advantage of the good image quality Instax offers.

Jim B.

Back