My M9-P has gone in for a sensor replacement

ChrisN

Striving
Local time
1:31 AM
Given all the publicity about the sensor corrosion issue and Leica's response I decided to have my camera checked. I thought I'd share some information here for the benefit of Australian members.

11 October 2015 - email query to Leica in Germany.

13 October - response from Leica Germany.

13 October - email to Camera Clinic in Melbourne.

15 October - received phone call from Camera Clinic to explain the process and options if the sensor had corrosion.

15 October - follow-up email from Camera Clinic.

19 October - posted camera to Camera Clinic.

22 October - email from Camera Clinic to advise the sensor is corroded, and replacement options. I opted to have my M9 repaired. Was advised 4-6 week delay for parts.

30 October - email from Camera Clinic - advised that parts had arrived and my Camera is in the queue for repair.

So far I'm impressed with the communication and progress towards the camera being fixed. I'll update this post with further information in due course.

In the meantime I'm back to shooting film, and enjoying it! :)

EDIT:

17 December - message from Camera Clinic stating the camera has been repaired and asking me to confirm my address.

19 December - received tracking information by email.

21 December - received the camera (very well packed).

:)

Best of luck.

My M9 spent it's summer vacation at Leica New Jersey with limited communication. Sent it in around June 15 and got it back around September 15. Multiple emails to get a response. They floated the idea of a loaner but never really followed through.

Not the best service but I've got basically a new camera. They also adjusted the rangefinder and replaced the covering for some reason. So my used M9 is good to go.

I had a line on my images that I was originally told just needed some sort of recalibration or re-mapping but when they had it there I was told it needed the sensor replaced. Not sure if this was precautionary or what but they already had the camera so I went with it.

I've had spots on both M9s for a while that I can't clean off. One body went in about a year and a half or two years ago for a flash sync problem and it came back with a note "Several spots which could not be cleaned" or something to that effect. The flash sync problem was traced to an old battery (from my first M8).

I had a line on my images that I was originally told just needed some sort of recalibration or re-mapping but when they had it there I was told it needed the sensor replaced. Not sure if this was precautionary or what but they already had the camera so I went with it.

Leica's formal policy clearly states precautionary replacements would not be performed. though, I wouldn't be stunned to learn those with special connections/relationships to Leica get special treatment.

I really didn't think that my camera had sensor corrosion. But right from the early days of ownership it showed spots on the sensor that I believed were lubricant from the shutter. Wet cleaning would not shift them, so I started to wonder after the corrosion problem became widely known, and after Leica acknowledged the problem for what it was and faced up to dealing with it honorably.

I'm going through the repair process right now actually, my M9 has been sitting at Leica NJ for the last two months (sent it in at the end of August); initially they gave me a 1 month turnaround time to replace the dials on my camera which were sticky, but they've actually discovered that the sensor has corrosion on it. I was told earlier this week, when I called Leica customer support, that they're still waiting to get new sensors and the customer support rep informed me that the earliest they might be getting sensors is January 2016. I'm hoping for earlier so that I can use the camera over the holidays, but potentially I'll be out a camera for 4/5 months.

It's a bit disappointing honestly.

Heard from Leica by mail yesterday, One of the bodies is getting a new sensor, the other is getting a cleaning, both are free.

The sensor replacement is on the older body, #3906XXX

The still good sensor is #4201XXX

I was given an "Anticipated Delivery After Receipt of Authorization" of 12/15/15 for both cameras.

An MP that needs a shutter adjustment was sent in the same day. I got word on Tuesday that camera needs $400 of work, with an estimated delivery date of 4 to 5 weeks. Was expecting this to be free, but appears my warranty has finally expired.

Posted this on Leica Forum the other day: maybe should post here too

My M9 got back last Tuesday, with its new sensor. And a very quick service it was, by Leica in Wetzlar.

The full story is as follows:

I contacted Leica in Mayfair, London back in June and sent them on request some sample shots. They said they thought it looked like corrosion, and told me that Leica would be in touch when my turn came on the waiting list. I said let it wait until I get back from Italy, mid-October.

Oct 20th I got notice that they were ready to work on my camera, and we agreed a pick-up date of Friday Oct 30th.

Nov 4th camera arrived Wetzlar

Nov 12th received shipping notification from UPS

Nov 17th M9 arrived here, in the north of Scotland, 11am

Pretty damn good, I say!

:):):)

Jim

Best of luck.

My M9 spent it's summer vacation at Leica New Jersey with limited communication. Sent it in around June 15 and got it back around September 15. Multiple emails to get a response. They floated the idea of a loaner but never really followed through.

Not the best service but I've got basically a new camera. They also adjusted the rangefinder and replaced the covering for some reason. So my used M9 is good to go.

Because they have to take the whole camera apart -almost- to get at the sensor. Therefore a new cover is required and they must adjust the RF because they removed it.

These things are like cars, $500 labor to get to a $2 part.

My M9 lives in climate control and hopefully I will not have to go through this even if free.

Leica's formal policy clearly states precautionary replacements would not be performed. though, I wouldn't be stunned to learn those with special connections/relationships to Leica get special treatment.

Lets see, caused by high humidity. How can I see that happens. Not that I would do it.

I would not do it because I do not want a perfect camera worked on.

I sent my M9 to Leica, NJ, for a CLA after a 90 day trip to Europe last fall. The camera had lived in the bottom of my day pack and definitely needed a cleaning. They replaced the sensor free of charge.

It would have been nice if the sensor issue had never occurred. But you have to applaud Leitz for the way they handled it. When the camera came back at the end of January, I basically had a new M9 with a one year warranty. Can't complain about that. And given that the M2 is still my favorite, I cannot justify an upgrade so guess I will have to live with the low ISO of the M9. Of course, a f1.2 lens helps take care of that issue.

Lets see, caused by high humidity. How can I see that happens. Not that I would do it.

I would not do it because I do not want a perfect camera worked on.

Creating a humid micro-environment that does not damage the electronics is not particularly challenging.

As you point out there's no need to rush things.

Any disruption (scratch) of the sensor surface will eventually enable water molecules to reach the labile IR filter layer. The initial disruption might be so slight it could only be detected by high magnification during visual inspection. And it would be absent from photographs even at the narrowest apertures.

Sooner or later the problem will occur.

Back