My M9-P has gone in for a sensor replacement

leicaflex,, I find your experience appalling.

Everything I've read indicates all replacement M9 sensors have the new water resistant IR filter layer. So I would not worry about that.

Doe your repair paper work list any part numbers?

No. They stated the bare minimum. There's a way to brick into the hidden menu which has version numbers of circuit boards, etc., shutter activation count too. However I am wary because the software may track such attempts which may void the warranty.

Sorry!
Patek is almost flawless.
Unlike cameras, they, watches work 24/7/365
for decades without rest or CLR.
Service any Patek EVER made, in Geneva.:D
Hahahaha!!!
Precisely the reason I bought a Rolex..instead of the more beautiful..PP/VC/JLC/FPJ/AL&S watches...for my 60th..
Because of the horrible service waiting period of the exotics..and the cla price which is heart stopping....
I didn't want to say...1 year down the road..after the brand "myth" & honeymoon.....wore off...
I shoulda bought...a V8...:bang:
...waiting 6+ mos for a service...and maybe getting the product back with the same exact problems..vs 2 weeks...out the door..

Back to film Leica..

...I can't believe how horrible my experience has been...

That seems to be Leica NJ nowadays, unfortunately. I can't get anyone to reply to an email with a question about an MP. I've sent three emails over the last three weeks with dead silence in return. I do miss Dave Elwell, he was a magnificent communicator and seemed to run a vastly tighter ship.

Camera came back last Monday with old firmware v1.196, looked like all my custom settings were still intact, and I just knew something didn't seem right. Called Customer Service and Kevin picked up, I described my concern that I didn't get the new corrosion free sensor installed, he put me on a very long hold while he talked to the tech, Peter Sames, who also didn't know what was the full scoop on my M9. However, contrary to another customer service guy telling me previously that my camera was in Germany, Kevin said that the log showed no such thing. They emailed me a UPS 2DAY return label, so away went my camera, back to NJ. I called to speak with Bill Weier last Thursday, he wasn't in so I requested to speak with his supervisor, VP Operations. I told him that it was concerning a dysfunctional service department. He said that he would make sure that Bill calls me back.....which he did the next day... Friday. I told Bill about the dilemma re: the Leica NJ customer service in general and the mysterious disposition of my M9, he said that he would follow up on Monday and let me know what the evaluation results were. Monday came and went, I waited but to no avail, so I emailed Bill late Monday afternoon. On Tuesday, he emailed me back:

"Good morning, I brought your camera in to the shop. The sensor was not replaced; but needs to be replaced. Looking into the error of how your camera was shipped without being worked on. Your camera is on the technician’s bench and will be completed today. We will ship the camera tomorrow; after inspection. Best regards, Bill"

I can't believe how horrible my experience has been. I feel really let down by the NJ customer service team. Almost 5 months went by with nothing done right, and it had to come back to me to discern the incomplete service. Two work weeks elapsed thereafter from door to door, with the new sensor installation and releathering plus complete system test being accomplished in what sounds like just one day...well maybe 1.5 days at most. If it is true that firmware v1.204 can be backwards compatible with the old sensors, then I wonder if they truly installed the new corrosion free sensor this week? Guess if there's no corrosion in a few years time, I would be more assured. I truly hope that no one else has to go through the this rigmarole that I had to suffer through. Wish me luck as I shoot with it this Labor Day long weekend. I am looking forward to hearing from Bill on the post mortem analysis of their error, but I ain't holding my breath!

This is horrible and frankly pathetic customer service.

I'm hoping that CV/Zeiss will be making a digital RF as I cannot see myself buying a digital Leica in the future. Nothing to do with price, but lack of service. I barely use my M240 now, as I love using the film Leicas and other film cameras.

Mine went in the third week of July. I emailed about a week or two ago, and the response I got was: it takes 16 weeks. I calculated and wrote back, we are on the 17th week now. They wrote back and said it takes 16 weeks....
urgh???

It takes 16 weeks before they can consider moving it from one shelf to the one closer to the building where the techs have lunch. Only then do you get added to the queue for actual work to be done. It is then 16 weeks from there, holidays and weekends excluded.

Postscript to this thread about my final experience with my Leica M9. Some months ago the camera failed to recognize the inserted SD card. Otherwise the camera seems fine. I sent it again to Camera Clinic. The quote for repair has come back at AU$5975, to replace the main board. That seems to be somewhat outrageous and well above the actual value of the camera. I won't be repairing the camera.

So I now have an expensive paperweight, to remind me of my optimistic folly. I still have my M4 and M6, and a lot of B&W film in the fridge.

Postscript to this thread about my final experience with my Leica M9. Some months ago the camera failed to recognize the inserted SD card. Otherwise the camera seems fine. I sent it again to Camera Clinic. The quote for repair has come back at AU$5975, to replace the main board. That seems to be somewhat outrageous and well above the actual value of the camera. I won't be repairing the camera.

So I now have an expensive paperweight, to remind me of my optimistic folly. I still have my M4 and M6, and a lot of B&W film in the fridge.

That is most unfortunate, and quite frankly a ridiculous quote for repair.

Did you call them and query the diagnosis and cost estimate? Surely Leica can do better than this. Perhaps contact Wetzlar. At the least they may give you a subsidised upgrade offer.

Best of luck, and I hope you enjoy your reliable film Ms in the meantime:)

Back