My Sony Rx1r2 Photos

NY_Dan

Well-known
Local time
4:07 AM
Hi RFFers. As many of you know I'm a Rolleiflex Tri-X man -- and proud of it! :) Anyway, I like to explore as many limbs of the photography tree as possible. To those similarly afflicted; I'm sure you understand. This morning I shot with both my Rolleiflex and my new Sony Rx1r2. I bought the camera because I got a good deal on it, and because the specs intrigued me. Funny thing, but carrying the two cameras at the same time works out great. I just play to their strengths and to my own as well.

Today was my first outing with the camera, and I'm loving it. It's weird that something so small and light could produce such outstanding quality and have so many features. I got the $10 Sony screen protector and replaced the OEM strap with a $24 Artist and Artisan khaki/orange strap. Tomorrow I'm going to get a generic 49mm squeeze lens cap. The OEM one is too overbuilt -- very pretty but too much. I got the Sony lens hood (which I honestly can't understand why it doesn't come with the camera -- really?) -- bought the hood at B&H when it was on sale in December. I'll probably get a metal grip when the prices are around $30. Oh, and I already had a digital B&W UV.

But enough talk -- here are 4 of my Rx1r2 shots:
tumblr_o1n4iuKG8d1r916qao1_1280.jpg

tumblr_o1n4iuKG8d1r916qao2_1280.jpg

tumblr_o1n4iuKG8d1r916qao3_1280.jpg

tumblr_o1n4iuKG8d1r916qao4_1280.jpg

Nice work Dan. How is the auto focus speed on the Sony? I've been curious about that camera...

Keith, auto focus seems good. I'm still getting used to the controls and settings. I think there's a bit of a shutter lag that made catching expressions on the top photo challenging. Not a scientific assessment. Exposure, color, high ISO and much more are impressive. I shot with aperture priority, Auto ISO and 1/125th as my minimum speed. I like the close focus mode and aperture ring. The pop-up viewfinder works well. Haven't used the eye cup. I don't want to take it on and off all the time. Not a fan of the menu organization -- I like the Nikon D800 menus and prefer menus that go down instead of across. Wish there was a menu simulation mode so people with more than one camera system could have some consistency. And these shots were all large, fine jpg. Tomorrow I plan on shooting RAW. Bought a charger with extra battery, and the battery came in a little, clear plastic case -- wish the one with the camera did, too. Oh, and the instruction book isn't printed well. At this price point it should be better. The type is small and hard to read. But, I LIKE THE PHOTOS. :) Colors are finely nuanced and feel true.

"Colors are finely nuanced and feel true."

I certainly agree. Looking forward to seeing where it takes you, or you take it!

Back